PDA

View Full Version : Clownfish with Fungal Infection

oceanbrit
07/12/2007, 04:33 PM
Hi,

I bought two small ocellaris clownfish from my LFS 10 days ago.
They appeared fine for the first two days, but have since developed a white fungus near the pectoral and dorsal fins and on one side of the body. Both fish seemed to get worse at the same time. The area of fungus is just getting larger and larger.

I have looked around old posts and read a few books, but nothing describes what they have.

Its definitely a fungus as it has structure to it, plain white, and
spreading.

It doesn't appear to have affected their breathing, eating, or
activeness. They seem as happy as before this developed. I have been treating with Maracyn 2 for the last 4 days, but no improvement. Still getting worse. My LFS suggested malachite or I could bring them back in for an exchange. I would like to keep them if they will recover.

Any thoughts?

I will post a pic tonite if i can get a clear one.

They are in a 10G quarantine. I checked the water quality and
everything is good. Temp 80, ph 8.2.

Thanks.

kevin2000
07/12/2007, 04:42 PM
Fungus is rare in SW. Clown fish are prone to brooklynella (aka clown fish disease) .. fish with brook tend to exude excess mucus which often looks like fungus or in extreme conditions it may look like the fish is shedding a white skin.

Heres a link which discusses brook ... in the treatment section you will find how to perform a formalin bath which is the recommended treatment.

http://www.petsforum.com/personal/trevor-jones/brooklynella.html

Heres a link with some good pictures of brooklynella

http://www.saltwaterfish.com/vb/showthread.php?t=127010

Hope this helps.

oceanbrit
07/12/2007, 04:54 PM
Thanks. Thats what I thought too. But the patches of white are a couple mm tall off the skin. not like a film or mucus, typical of brook. i guess a polyp would a good description of what it looks like.

kevin2000
07/12/2007, 04:59 PM
Check out the pics of lympohcytis on the pic site provided.

oceanbrit
07/12/2007, 05:06 PM
hmmm...that could be it. would the formalin bath be suggested for this as well.

kevin2000
07/12/2007, 05:17 PM
No - there is no medication that impacts lympo which is a viral disease akin to warts in humans. Its not fatal (unless its in the gills) contagious only within the same species .. and often goes away on its own.

oceanbrit
07/12/2007, 05:17 PM
i just looked around othe posts, and sounds like time is the only healer?!

kevin2000
07/12/2007, 05:22 PM
Yep .. that combined with trying to keep the fish healthy (good food, regular water changes etc.)