PDA

View Full Version : Longnose Hawkfish disappears into thin air!!!!! help!!!!!

drrich
07/12/2007, 05:57 PM
I have had my mixed 40 for about 9 months, all parameters excellent. I have 2 cleaner shrimp, a blood shrimp, and a few small hermit crabs, some red legged, and some blue and snails which came with my "clean up crew".
This was my first fish.
The Hawkfish was at least three inches long, so it was not tiny. It was the largest thing in the tank. It was acclimated over 2 hours, and was doing well, and now it's gone without a trace two days after purchase.

Granted, the tank is topless, but I searched the floor, and no carpet surfer here.

Any ideas what happened? There is literally nothing else in the tank besides live rock, coral, and a few shrimp and crabs.

virginiadiver69
07/12/2007, 05:59 PM
I would put money that the crabs had a nice meal.

drrich
07/12/2007, 06:02 PM
Are you saying that hermit crabs (red legged and blue legged) will attack and eat a live fish?,

If that's the case, then why would anyone have small hermit crabs?

fishyvet
07/12/2007, 06:54 PM
Did you check your overflows?

Grins
07/12/2007, 06:57 PM
That is what I was thinking..check the overflows. And since you have an open tank do you have any other pets?

dstall
07/12/2007, 07:48 PM
My hawkfish jumped into the overflow. I was the same way, as it just freaked me out when i could not find him or any remains and then while cleaning my tank i shined a light into the overflow and there he was for over a week and in good shape...

virginiadiver69
07/12/2007, 08:36 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=10328456#post10328456 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by drrich
Are you saying that hermit crabs (red legged and blue legged) will attack and eat a live fish?,

No not at all, I meant it was possible the hermits may have eaten an already dead fish.
I hope he was just in the overflow though.

Gdevine
07/12/2007, 09:39 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=10328456#post10328456 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by drrich

If that's the case, then why would anyone have small hermit crabs?

Yea, the small hermit crab thing is not the problem. Sometimes fish like this will hide for a few days (deep in the rock) in the absence of predators which you don't have (like a green brittle star).

Keep your eyes open and check for spikes in your params which would indicate a dead fish somewhere.

I've had fish hide for days on end and then out of know where; there they are.

drrich
07/13/2007, 04:05 AM
I was looking for bones (like in a tom and jerry cartoon) but found nothing. I looked in the overflow and saw nothing, but thanks for the advice, I'll continue to search.