PDA

View Full Version : Wobbegong shark (dwarf)

FishyMel
07/12/2007, 10:09 PM
Anyone ever kept one? My LFS got one in yesterday. The animal is major cool, but he isn't eating yet. Don't think he would work in my tank. I've got a canary eel (moray). He would probably snack on him. And if he didn't, then I think my clown trigger would probably pick on him.

rnelson
07/12/2007, 11:27 PM
Triggers and sharks are a really bad mix.......the trigger will start picking at the shark (usually the eyes).....the eel might be OK though......wobbies are ambush type sharks, they sit motionless until a fish swims by and then jump on it.....sometimes wobbies each other wobbies......a cool shark though.

Most wobbies get too big for home aquariums.....your 150 would not be anywhere near big enough, sorry. I've got a 480gal and my tank is too small also..... :(

dougie
07/12/2007, 11:36 PM
that shark belongs in the ocean. or a public aquarium, at least.

krj-1168
07/13/2007, 01:45 AM
Actually there are several species of Wobbies(all total about 7-8 species).

Most aren't found in North American Fish shops. Only 3 appear in the North American Pet Fish occasionally.

The Ornate Wobbegong (Orectolobus ornatus) which grows to be about 9.5 ft long.

The Spotted or Common Wobbegong (Orectolobus maculatus) which grows up to 10.5 ft, and is the Giant of the Wobbies.

These 2 are the most common species of wobbies for in captivity in North America. And both require a good size swimming pool to keep them for life.

The 3 species is rarely seen in North America. Called the Japanese Wobbegong (Orectolobus japonicus), they grow to about 40-48" in length. And really to only species of Wobbegong in North America that may be kept in a very large tank or small shark pond of at least 600 gallons.

There's also a couple of other species known (but virtually never seen in North America.

The Tessled Wobbegong which grows to about 6 ft.

And the Ward's or Northern Wobbegong(Orectolobus wardi) grows to about 2.5-3 ft long.

mr. clown man
07/13/2007, 03:59 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=10330652#post10330652 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by rnelson
Triggers and sharks are a really bad mix.......the trigger will start picking at the shark (usually the eyes).....the eel might be OK though......wobbies are ambush type sharks, they sit motionless until a fish swims by and then jump on it.....sometimes wobbies each other wobbies......a cool shark though.

Most wobbies get too big for home aquariums.....your 150 would not be anywhere near big enough, sorry. I've got a 480gal and my tank is too small also..... :(

i agree my lfs just had an encounter with a 8 queen trigger and a bamboo shark, the trigger basically tore the sharks head into little peices that were floating around in the tank and he dragged the body of the shark into the middle of the tank so all could see wat he has done, it was quiet grusome lol, if nobody buys him in a week my lfs will release him into the wild, were he can eat watever he wants, he has killed 5 fish and 1 shark : )

rnelson
07/13/2007, 05:33 PM
Wow, that's quite a story!

Queen Triggers are especially aggressive......the only triggers I would even remotely consider potential tankmates would be pinktails, bluejaws and maybe nigers.... I love triggers but there will be none of them in my tank, too big a risk.

alex656
07/13/2007, 05:37 PM
Yeah never head of a Dwarf, I wish there were more common dwarf shark species. But as KJ said most dont appear in North American stores.

rsxs1212
07/13/2007, 08:14 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=10335301#post10335301 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by mr. clown man
i agree my lfs just had an encounter with a 8 queen trigger and a bamboo shark, the trigger basically tore the sharks head into little peices that were floating around in the tank and he dragged the body of the shark into the middle of the tank so all could see wat he has done, it was quiet grusome lol, if nobody buys him in a week my lfs will release him into the wild, were he can eat watever he wants, he has killed 5 fish and 1 shark : )

i go too the same place.. marine dreams.. it was quite a seen.. i was thinking about buying it and putting it in my tank it should be sufficient in size..

i hope all you know i was kidding

krj-1168
07/13/2007, 08:58 PM
Funny thing is Dwarf/Mini/Pygmy are very misleading & over used terms - especially when related to animals of any kind. Although these terms usually refer to a species that is less than half the maximum size of a larger related species. The point is "dwarfs" are just a smaller species.

In sharks - there are many species that are considered dwarfs. In addition to the "Dwarf"species wobbegongs - of The Japanese, Ward's & Cobbler's, there are also "dwarfs" of other species.

The Short-tail Nurse shark (Pseudoginglymostoma brevicaudatum) - for example, is often considered a "Dwarf" version of the Nurse shark (Ginglymostoma cirratum), since it's only about 1/4 the length of a Nurse Shark.

Also the Genus Heterodontus(bullhead/Horn sharks) have their own "dwarf" versions in the Galapagos Horn(H. quayi) and Oman Bullhead (H. omanensis) both of which are about 2' long, making them about 1/2 the length of some of the larger & more common members of the genus.

rnelson
07/13/2007, 08:59 PM
i hope all you know i was kidding

rsxs1212
I was hoping so.......but it doesn't sound too far off what one might really do...

BTW, love your sig line.....great movie!!!

mr. clown man
07/13/2007, 09:29 PM
hahaha no rsxs is my friend in real life, he was kidding about the putting the 8 inch queen trigg in his 90 reef, we were both in the store when it happend, lol

rnelson
07/13/2007, 11:01 PM
Gotcha.......so the LFS horror story is actually the truth? That's wild...

justinl
07/14/2007, 12:15 AM
please go back to your lfs and yell at them for me. first of all a trigger should NEVER be in the same tank as a shark. but mostly because they are gonna release into the F***ING wild! there are a million restrictions on re-releasing wild stock, regardless of whether or not the species was local or not. in the end the most prudent thing to do would just be to kill it. release into the wild and the potential for disaster is huge.