PDA

View Full Version : Yeah i know, another dang skimmer thread

Reefjeeper
07/13/2007, 11:48 AM
Ok here's the deal, i've been running for almost 2 years without a skimmer and i'm finally tired of throwing money at everything to get the nitrates down.(prolly would have saved me a few hundred if i would have just sucked it up and bought one to start) I have a 72 Bowfront so space is limited, the sump is an All-glass Megaflow model 2. so its not huge but not much room under the stand in the first place. I want something that will work great and not kill me too bad in the price dept. I don't know anything about skimmers other than they pull filthy junk out and are sometimes a PITA to get set just right. SO! as you can tell i need some help picking this out. its down to i think maybe three brands unless you guys suggest another: AquaC, Octopus, EU. and which is going to be the better way to go and why. I've heard many others floating around here, so i'm open to input. The only thing i'm really worried about is getting this tank to have some stable numbers and stay that way. not a huge load or anything in there just some fish and a few softies and lps(possiblylater) Thanks in advance for the advice.

kkyyllee
07/13/2007, 11:49 AM
skimmers wont lower ur nitrates, have you tried a refugium?

Reefjeeper
07/13/2007, 11:58 AM
well i've looked into it a few times, and really don't have much room to do that. thought about maybe tossing in some chaeto into the sump and put a light over it. Will that help with keeping the numbers pretty stable across the board, or would that even work if i did it that way?

RobSW1
07/13/2007, 12:04 PM
If your looking for a small hang on tank skimmer, Look at the Deltec MCE500? I think thats it, but not totally sure.

theatrus
07/13/2007, 12:06 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=10333526#post10333526 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Reefjeeper
well i've looked into it a few times, and really don't have much room to do that. thought about maybe tossing in some chaeto into the sump and put a light over it. Will that help with keeping the numbers pretty stable across the board, or would that even work if i did it that way?

Chaeto in a sump makes a basic refuge :) Just make sure to keep it out of the pump.

A skimmer will help future nitrates. Its incapable of removing current nitrates, but will reduce the waste decomposing in your system.

What is your water source? How much nitrate does it contain if its tap water? How much are you feeding?

Good skimmer brands include AquaC, EuroReef, Deltec, the reef octopus clones, ASM

Reefjeeper
07/13/2007, 12:09 PM
I really would like to keep everything in the cabinet if possible. The sump is big enough to use one, and I think i might have enough room to do a recerc. But i think one that is in sump would be the best bet for me.

Reefjeeper
07/13/2007, 12:14 PM
I always use RO from the LFS(don't have my own filter yet since i'm in an apt) I am sure i feed more than most do but that dang naso is always hungry! I have two black/white clowns, two chromis and a naso tang at the moment and hope to get an anem. and maybe a few more smaller fish and call it good. Then maybe a few more good corals. I have a few mushrooms and some xenia at the moment, had some frogspawn but it finally gave up i think due to the nitrates but i'm not really sure.

Reefjeeper
07/13/2007, 12:16 PM
Theatrus - as for lighting the sump, know of any good cheap ways to go that will work? I have heard just get a screw in flor. bulb but i'm not sure if that would work.

kkyyllee
07/13/2007, 12:18 PM
you could also get a whole bunch of xenia which would work like cheato

kkyyllee
07/13/2007, 12:18 PM
more expensive tho

rbrusletto
07/13/2007, 12:49 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=10333707#post10333707 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by kkyyllee
you could also get a whole bunch of xenia which would work like cheato

Xenia == nitrate killers?

Never knew this... I like xenia, the large chunk I have I can make a 1" square a week.....

Reefjeeper
07/13/2007, 02:00 PM
anyone care to ring in on which skimmer?

trigger111
07/13/2007, 02:08 PM
I'd go with the tunze 9010. That is about as close to set it and forget it as a skimmer as you can get, plust it works very well in sump or hang in tank.

rbrusletto
07/13/2007, 02:08 PM
sorry for the threadjack reefjeeper..

fwiw - I have a seaclone 100 on my 75g which, after mods pulls a half cup 'o skimmate a day. not bad for the price. mods are easy too. as much as every hates them, if you keep them clean they work pretty well.. IMO

Reefjeeper
07/13/2007, 02:34 PM
no no no rbrusletto, I didn't mean it to sound like that, really to tell the truth is was a thread bump if anything. lol

Sk8r
07/13/2007, 02:46 PM
Have you possibly room to set up an adjacent cabinet or buffet table [with doors] to hold extra equipment? It can hold ANYTHING atop it: what counts is extra room for some meaningful equipment for your tank, like a refugium, a bigger skimmer, and your ballasts and other stuff. I'd recommend the Aqua C EV 120, but not in a living room UNLESS you can get it IN the sump...every time the power goes out and restarts, it vomits about a quarter of water from every opening. In the sump, no problem. Beside the sump---you need lines carrying that potential runoff. It is an issue worth asking about when you consider where you are going to put the skimmer you choose: does it spit or spill and how do you prevent that?

Reefjeeper
07/13/2007, 02:58 PM
the aquac will fit into my sump but I don't know about the water level... i know it needs to be pretty high to work, correct? How do you have yours setup? inside or out and if its inside how high is the water level in your sump?