PDA

View Full Version : Tail Spot Blenny - Questions

Insane Reefer
07/13/2007, 01:12 PM
http://i186.photobucket.com/albums/x176/Insane-Reefer/tail-spot-blenny.jpg

This is Bogo, my new Tail Spot Blenny. He is a herbivorous blenny. I purchased him at LiveAquaria, a division of Dr Fosters & Smith. He is a very difficult blenny to find in the hobby, I was lucky to snag one :)

He arrived yesterday. He isn't eating yet, but I figure that is normal after his travels. His lung action seems good, about a "pump" every 3/4 of a second. He is in my 10G bug tank since I was unprepared for his arrival - he was supposedly not coming. He will be moved to my 8g Biocube Display after I am assured that he is eating and healthy, and I get my intakes covered so he can't slip through - he is only an inch long, maybe a tad longer.

I have kept damsels and seahorses before - both with pretty good success (though the seahorse story is sad). I've never had a blenny before, so I have a few questions that I hoped the blenny lovers would/could answer. And maybe sport a few tips or comments to help me be a good blenny keeper. I understand that different blenny species have different requirements, and what works for one blenny type might not work for others, even if they are also herbivores or whatever. There isn't much on the internet about the Tail Spot, not in terms of the hobby and care, so I ask you folks.

First off, this is from my husband. What are his "horns"? I think they are sensors like a cats whiskers, so when he is darting for a hidy-hole he knows he won't get stuck. What are the horns actually called? Looking for horns and blennies on google was unhelpful. :sad:

Next, I am concerned that he hasn't moved from the spot he landed in when I released him yesterday, 22 hours ago. He looks around and stuff, but hasn't physically moved from that spot - even with flash going off in his face. He will move up a quarter inch, or back, but he remains fixed on that position. The only things in the bug tank are a few frags that are growing out, lots and lots of bugs and half a dozen asst. snails. Nothing should be keeping him stationary like that. Every other fish I've had hid for a few hours, but was then exploring their new digs.

Feeding is my next question. I've read all about what to feed, and even posted about greens people have fed and were nutritious (spinach?) and got a laugh when someone posted Bananas - but he said all the fish in his tank eat the banana. I picked up some frozen "Emerald Entree" which is a omnivore food, but this blenny, while a herbivore is supposed to also eat meaty stuff once in a while. I picked up sheet nori, and have Mesclun growing outside (mix of salad greens). So I have the "what" covered, but the "how" is my important question. Do I just throw food in? In a nano, this can quickly lead up to problems with water quality. Is there a better way to feed? Use a ring or other device? I know about clips, but those are ugly - do I need to attach the sheets and leaves to something or can they float? Should I crumble the nori and shred the leaves? Will he find it? And how much food should I give him? Are we talking a square inch of leaf a day, more, or what? Should he be fed once or twice a day?

Finally, anything else you care to share would be awesome.

Thanks for taking the time to read this!

ralphie16
07/13/2007, 02:00 PM
Thanks to Lee for this wonderful article. Have fun reading and learning!

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=785228

Insane Reefer
07/13/2007, 03:13 PM
Great general article on food and diet, Ralphie, but I'm looking for information more specific to this fish.
:)
Thanks though!

rssjsb
07/13/2007, 08:48 PM
The good news is that these guys will eat nearly anything.

He's probably still stressed, but I'll bet he's eating pods at night. They never stop eating.

Once he's calmed down, he'll dart out of his hole for food. I would suggest getting some frozen mysis to entice him. A few pieces of emerald entree might work, too. Just drop a few little pieces in the water so that they'll drive by where he's hanging out.

Get a good flake food or small pellet and he'll be happy. I feed mine New Life Spectrum pellets for small fish as a staple and he loves them.

Insane Reefer
07/14/2007, 08:20 AM
He is supposed to be a herbivore - not sure using meat to get him eating is a good idea - he should start eating what he is supposed to, but I have heard really good things about SPECTRUM, so I might pick some up. I feed pellets to the shrimp and hermits in the display, so it wouldn't go to waste...

He did start moving out a little last night - not much, nor far, but he isn't glued to that one spot now. :)

Chasmodes
07/16/2007, 07:59 PM
Great fish!

All good advice above and a nice article too. Although they are supposed to be herbivores, tail spots and others of this genus will eat meaty foods once in awhile. Mysid shrimp, pods, brine shrimp and other prepared foods should keep him happy when offered. They should be happy grazing on your live rock for algae and pods in an established tank too in addition to any supplement that you find works well.

The "horns"are called cirri. Nobody seems to know really what they are for. Some have speculated that that they could be used with some sort of sensory functionality, while others have hypothesized that they are used in some sort of mating display (but I have yet to see any facts to back up the latter). Most blennies have cirri in some form or another. Some species have small nubs while others have multiple pairs of elaborate cirri, and some like the Molly Miller have a "hairy" mane of them. And finally, others don't have any at all (like the fang blennies and sabertoothed blennies). This is one mystery that science has yet to prove! At any rate, it helps ichthyologists and amateurs alike in species identification and at the same time gives them that unique character that other types of fish just don't seem to have!

Tail spots are very cool looking blennies with tons of personality. I really like their coloration too. Bogo will give you much pleasure I'm certain!

Insane Reefer
07/16/2007, 11:46 PM
Thanks for the response, Kevin :)
I am hoping to get more info on this next bit:
Do I just throw food in? In a nano, this can quickly lead up to problems with water quality. Is there a better way to feed? Use a ring or other device? I know about clips, but those are ugly - do I need to attach the sheets and leaves to something or can they float? Should I crumble the nori and shred the leaves? Will he find it? And how much food should I give him? Are we talking a square inch of leaf a day, more, or what? Should he be fed once or twice a day?

Today he actively ate, but the meaty stuff that looks like what Liveaquaria fed him in holding - am hoping that I can wean him back onto leafy foods...

He is out more today too - keeps checking us out, doing a neat upright dance in the water, on the other side of a rock he likes. Sort of like the french in Monty Python, lol.

danch
07/17/2007, 09:36 AM
Following this thread in anticipation of getting my own tailspot. Question for the experts - does this genera of blennie eat 'leavy' foods, or do they eat film/hair microalgae?

As far as meaty bits go, consider that when he does forage on algae, he'll be eating incidental pods.

Glad he's settling in for you.

Insane Reefer
07/17/2007, 09:43 AM
For his evening feeding last night I only offered ground nori - after a moment, he darted out and I think he started eating it - he went after more than one piece at any rate.
:D
I was just concerned that he would only eat the meaty foods as that is what "food" possibly now meant to him after holding, etc. (Liveaqauria used algae enriched shrimps to encourage wild caught blennys to eat). That would lead to a slower starvation, but starvation none the less - he is meant to eat green matter as his primary staple, not bugs (which are supposed to be a small part of his diet).

Chasmodes
07/17/2007, 10:46 AM
There's an article on blennies of this genus in another magazine by Scott W. Michael (not sure if I can mention here but IR you can email or PM me about it), and he suggests feeding them frozen foods containing spirulina, but I wonder also if flakes may be acceptable once in a while. The type of algae that they prefer is microalgae (diatoms or unicellular algae), so grazing the substrate and live rock is the best bet. So, I'd suggest leaving some diatomacious algae on the glass for them. Another thing that you might do would be to culture algae on live rocks in your fuge or another tank, perhaps changing back and forth every now and then with a rock in your display tank to make sure that you have something new for them to graze on every now and then. If you have a good supply of natural algae, Mr. Michaels suggests feeding them once per day, if not then feed them as much as 3 times daily. Escenius stigmatura (tailspot) blennies are omnivores and in the wild have a varied diet, but the key component for them to remain healthy is a good supply of microalgae and other detritus. Mr. Michaels mentions that tailspots, like midas blennies, spend a lot of time feeding on zooplankton and to feed them three times daily (but also he states that the tailspot will feed on microalgae as well while the midas blennies typically do not). So, in my opinion, of all the mini sized blennies out there, you've picked the one with the most varied natural diet and should keep just fine. Enjoy, he'll be out and about more and more each day entertaining you!

danch
07/17/2007, 01:44 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=10356713#post10356713 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Insane Reefer
For his evening feeding last night I only offered ground nori - after a moment, he darted out and I think he started eating it - he went after more than one piece at any rate.
:D
I was just concerned that he would only eat the meaty foods as that is what "food" possibly now meant to him after holding, etc. (Liveaqauria used algae enriched shrimps to encourage wild caught blennys to eat). That would lead to a slower starvation, but starvation none the less - he is meant to eat green matter as his primary staple, not bugs (which are supposed to be a small part of his diet).

Cool, I'm with you.

Insane Reefer
07/17/2007, 02:05 PM
Thanks again Kevin - You got Mail!
This morning someone was waiting for his food on top of "his" rock. His head went back and forth, watching me, as I went about my morning routine. When it was breakfast for Bogo, he ate what I offered, very quickly - quite the pig actually :D

I used my blender to grind the sheet nori into acceptable sized pieces, and added a little RO to moisten it. I placed it in a "form" and froze it into a seaweed puck.
Next I will make a blend with nori and spinach, and add a bit of vitamin to it.

Both of my tanks are almost pristine as far as algae goes :(
In the past with tanks, I've often had problems with algae. This time around, I almost can't grow it. I do get a deep emerald green growth, very, very short on the MMLR I make, the snails spend a lot of time eating that algae, but no growths here. I figured I'd have some by now, 6 months later, but no, not me, lol.

Sk8r
07/17/2007, 02:19 PM
There is nothing this blenny won't eat once he settles in. He may 'freeze' for a day or two until he feels safe---then you won't be able to look at your tank without finding him.
He prefers algae off rocks, and your emerald green growth will do fine: put a raw but cured rock into your tank and you should have some algae for him.
Just a genetic note: I'm betting the cirri are a genetic 'tag-along', a little flourish on a gene that does something else survival-positive, but that also happens to produce these blenny eyelashes. Sometimes there is no great 'why,' just a 'well, that's unique.' They're not burrowers, so they're not distance gauges in that sense. Maybe they serve as curb-finders, as you'll see in the natural eating style of this blenny: they tend to bash forward and gnaw, being combtoothed blennies, and they get pretty wild and fast about it. Best guess, ;)

Insane Reefer
07/17/2007, 02:27 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=10358718#post10358718 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Sk8r
Just a genetic note: I'm betting the cirri are a genetic 'tag-along', a little flourish on a gene that does something else survival-positive...

Well the spot on the tail is supposed to be an "eye" to fool potential predators that the fish is either larger or an eel, which to me means the fish will hide in such a way as his tail is slightly visible - I've noted this behaviour, exp. at night. He drapes himself under "his" rock, with the spot of his tail in sight.
So I vote for sensors like whiskers - if the cirri brush, the blennys might not go further in to where they might get stuck.

GoingPostal
07/17/2007, 08:51 PM
Mine ate algea off the glass and back, and nipped at longer algea on the rocks, once my clown goby taught him the joys of mysis, he stopped picking at algea quite a bit, they seem to eat everything, mine stopped displaying distress colors within two weeks of me having him, however he began spitting sand on my plate coral and had to be relocated.

prugs
07/18/2007, 01:55 AM
These blennys have what appears to be large mouths. But they have to swallow their food whole. Best to feed small mysis. They will not eat large pieces of meaty foods (grab the food in their mouths & are not able to swallow, they spit it back out.). As far as nori sheet, they can tear off their own size pieces for consumption.

Insane Reefer
07/18/2007, 08:17 AM
He rejects pieces of nori that are too large - ANY meaty bit, regardless of size, is never refused.
It is like having a turkey that likes to eat chicken, lol.

Kinetic
07/18/2007, 10:50 PM
mine doesn't eat any prepared food, but he's always fat and pooping, so I guess he just grazes all day. Problem is my tank is pretty clean these days, especially after switching to RowaPhos to get rid of some phosphates. =/

I'll try putting in a bit of nori.

Sk8r
07/18/2007, 10:59 PM
Their mouths, though they appear large, are combtoothed, meaning their dentition is a scraper, and they really cannot open large enough to swallow a pellet. Mine that I lost [sob] used to take a medium Formula One pellet and toss it, gnawing it smaller and smaller, but unable to swallow it, and as tailspots go, he was pretty large. My current one is a third his size, and only interests himself in algae.

Insane Reefer
07/19/2007, 08:59 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=10369266#post10369266 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Sk8r
...used to take a medium Formula One pellet and toss it, gnawing it smaller and smaller, but unable to swallow it...

Mine is a little guy - maybe an inch, inch and a quarter if he stretches. I noticed him doing that with broccoli balls - the flower tips. He seems to get more out of the broccoli as a toy then as food. But he readily tries anything of appropriate size. I froze a bit of 'Nana (supposed to make it easy to grate) - going to offer that today and see if there is any interest - if so, I'll add that as a once a week treat.

danch
07/21/2007, 07:30 AM
Just got my little guy yesterday. He stayed in a corner of the tank for a little while, then started to explore the rockwork. Shortly he was feeding - banging his face into the rock. He seems to have found a couple of holes in the rocks that he likes to hang out in. Cute little guy.

Insane Reefer
07/21/2007, 08:28 AM
Where did you get yours, Danch?

I found that mine will eat almost anything that he finds to be an acceptable size. Nori and spinach are a staple, but he likes the "Emerald Entree" and also likes bananas. I froze a small piece of banana and used a hand grater to grate off fine bits (which went into a bag in the freezer for later feeding). He gave it the hairy eyeball until he figured out nothing else was coming, and darted out and took a piece. Rolled it around in his mouth - popped it in and out a few times, swallowed it, went to his rock to think about it for a minute, then darted out and cleaned the rest up. I'll add it once or twice a week as a treat.

He also seems to enjoy "people/animal watching". If someone or one of the animals walks past his tank, he will follow them across the tank and try to get into a position to see where we go and what we do. I feel like I'm the one behind glass, lol ;)
I'm glad he doesn't tap the glass...

danch
07/22/2007, 01:31 PM
Got it from LiveAquaria, but the poor little guy died last night. I feel really bad about this - he seemed OK the first night, but didn't make it 36 hours in my care. I'd like to tell you all what happened to see if any of you can suggest anything I can do differently next time. Thanks in advance.

Things didn't go to plan from the get-go - Last week, my QT was 0 nitrite, so I ordered this week. I then did a water change in QT, with a side effect of stirring things up. Nitrite hit 2ppm, so I put the little guy straight into the display tank. This is one thing I will do differently next time - I'll make absolutely sure my QT is ready before I order.

I kept one of my powerheads off to give him a little calmer environment to find his way. That first day, he seemed so happy under the actinics, bopping around the rockwork and finding hidey holes, so yesterday I want back to 'normal' - 4.5 hours of daylights and 9 of actinics, 2 Seio 1100s plus my returns. He still seemed OK, he was swimming around more behind the rocks, but I figured he was just finding new places in the new flow. Maybe he was 'breathing' a little fast, but I thought I was just being paranoid.

Yesterday evening I wanted to see if I could interest him in some frozen formula 2, so I cut the pumps and put a pinch off the thawed cube in some tank water and basted some down in front of where he lay on the sand. I was a little disturbed that he was sitting on the sand, but I started to worry when he didn't move at all. I gave him some time, but when I came back he had moved a few inches away from the food, and the hermits were going after the food. I turned the pumps back on at that point. Next time I looked (a few minutes later) he was out in front, but seemed to be having trouble swimming - he was listing over to his side, and got caught in a vortex. I cut the pump so he could get away. He went by a rock and fell onto his side. I looked a few minutes later, and a hermit had him - he was gone.

Ammonia was 0, nitrite was 0, nitrate was 20. I'm working on bringing nitrate down, but I don't believe that would effect a fish.

I'm wondering if it would have been better to either introduce him to the tank with full flow, or keep the flow gentle for more like a week. I'm wondering if the changes - from LA holding, to shipping, to my tank, to full flow, to cutting my powerheads to feed - were just too much stress for the guy. Next time, the fish will go into a low-flow QT for 4 to 6 weeks, then into the display - should I make the introduction to the flow gradual, as I tried to do this time, or should I let him get used to the full flow once rather than having to adjust multiple times.

Sorry for writing the book, but I hate the thought of this little guy plucked from his happy home on the reef, just to die in my tank. Any insight you all may have to help me avoid this in the future is greatly appreciated.

thanks,
danch

Insane Reefer
07/22/2007, 03:58 PM
:sad2:

I'm so sorry danch. There is a guy over in the LiveAquaria thread who had one die too, recently.

My QT is actually a 10g with 15W HO and a maxijet 900. That's it. It is actually my "bug tank" for breeding out bugs to replace those that get eaten in the display, as well as a frag grow out for shrooms and the like.

Mine didn't even move for the first day, and took 3 to get him to eat.

I don't think you did anything wrong. I think you just got unlucky.
I would certainly head over to the LiveAquaria thread and report it, they will give you credit for your fish.

Sk8r
07/22/2007, 05:49 PM
Second that. Try setting up your qt to 1.021 salinity: IME, that's where LiveAquaria sets their salinity. Then you can take him pretty well right over, [test both waters] and gradually bring him up.

rssjsb
07/22/2007, 08:59 PM
Yeah, sorry to hear that. I hate losing fish - it always makes me want to quit. Life on the reef ain't no picnic, but at least I'm not to blame.

FWIW, I've found my tailspot does just fine with newlife spectrum Grow pellets or those for small fish (the package has a firefish on the label). The size seems to be just right for him.

Kinetic
07/22/2007, 10:17 PM
sorry to hear about that. it could be that he/she just wasn't doing well to begin with. Talk to LiveAquaria, I believe the have a 14 day guarantee.

I never QT blennies, they seem to never carry any terrible diseases or anything. I just drip acclimate, and pop them right in.

Mine is currently not looking too good. He eats and poops a lot, but I can see "ribs". He's fat but he may be lacking something. He won't eat ANYTHING I give him, just grazes...

Insane Reefer
07/23/2007, 12:03 AM
Were is yours from Kinetic?

I'd hate to see a trend emerge from this thread...

Insane Reefer
07/23/2007, 12:16 AM
http://i186.photobucket.com/albums/x176/Insane-Reefer/tail-spot-blenny-2.jpg

http://i186.photobucket.com/albums/x176/Insane-Reefer/tail-spot-blenny-3.jpg

Kinetic
07/23/2007, 02:27 AM
mine was from the diver's den at live aquaria

they had a pair, one didn't make it after a few days in my tank, but the other has been around for months now.

they had them feeding on mysis and brine I believe, but I can't get the survivor to eat any. he used to try to eat some flake, but his mouth wouldn't be able to clamp on it.

liveaquaria said the brine would land on the bottom of the tank and they would eat it.

problem is I have 80x turnover on a BB tank, so nothing stops on the bottom of the tank, it's always in the water column.

I'm guessing they have a lot of problems eating from the water column, unlike a few other blennies.

I've resorted to turning off pumps and feeding, but he takes no interest in any food, just grazes rocks.

maybe I'll try enriched brine...

Insane Reefer
07/23/2007, 05:11 AM
This is starting to sound like a bad trend and is sort of worrisome...

Mine actively pulls food from the water column - he rarely eats from the floor, and in fact avoids the floor most times.

LiveAquaria told me, when asked specifically about these blennys, that they were trained on spirulina enriched mysids. This is done in an effort to get them eating something after capture - though how teaching herbivores to eat meat is doing the fish a favor, I'm not sure...

I've found that anything but the smallest of morsels is too big for him, and he might try to suck it in, but quickly will spit it back out if too big. You might be offering food too big.

Remember - these blennys are considered to be vegetarians - herbivores. 75% of their diet should be vegetable or fruit based, supplemented with meaty foods. Pellets and flakes should be used sparingly, as they are the equivalent of fish fast food (with a very few exceptions, and even then fresh is far superior).

It is possible that your fish is thin, even though he is eating, Kinetic, because in fact, he is slowly staving through malnutrition...

honda2sk
07/23/2007, 09:49 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=10395031#post10395031 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Insane Reefer

Remember - these blennys are considered to be vegetarians - herbivores. 75% of their diet should be vegetable or fruit based,

fruits? what are you talking about?

anyways, mine eats cyclopeeze all the time. the frozen variety. perfect size and sits in water column for the longest time.

Serioussnaps
07/23/2007, 11:40 AM
have you tried live brine? great at getting a feeding response out of them and will at least keep it from starving until it is eating...some fish you have to be really dedicated to get eating

Insane Reefer
07/23/2007, 02:01 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=10396094#post10396094 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by honda2sk
fruits? what are you talking about?

Since I don't want this to turn into a great debate, I will post a quoted article that another member posted a couple of years ago.
It talks about HLLE, but HLLE has been found to be a nutrition based illness, and the info contained is good to have. Much research has since been done on the matter, and fruits are an acceptable food and are often even more nutritious then vegetables.

Since most of our fish live in tropical climes, climes where fruit grows plentifully, do you think that some of it wouldn't end up in the ocean and be eaten by the first things that find it, including fish?

My blenny has been offered banana, and refused at first because the pieces were too large, so based on another article I read, I froze a piece and used the fine side of a hand grater - Bogo readily eats it. I only offer this as a once or twice a week thing, but there seems to be no trouble from feeding it.

Remember, in the wild most fish can graze at will on what they need and want - often having acre large territories to supply their feeding needs. Do you think any of us can provide a 100% diet of what each fish we have would eat in the wild? We can't. Even the big Aquariums admit they can't, so they find ways to supplement with terrestrial foods. Studies show that most wild animals (not just fish) that are kept in captivity end up dying of complications due to malnutrition.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=769852#post769852 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Gary Majchrzak
Steve Colllins, curator of the Indianapolis Zoo-Aquarium in a 1995 issue of 'SeaScope' published results on their findings regarding HLLE and broccoli.

"The occurrence of head and lateral line erosion {HLLE} is a common problem with certain reef fish, particularly tangs and surgeonfish.We experienced an epidemic among our blue tangs {A.coeruleus} population six years ago in our 25,000 gallon reef exhibit here at the Indianapolis Zoo- Aquarium. Other surgeonfish were affected, but angelfish in the exhibit were not.
Water quality was dismissed as a likely cause of the problem." {Goes into a lengthy digression of excellent water quality params and filtration of the 25,000 gallon system.}
Continuing, "In reviewing other possible causes for this malady we next focused on possible dietary deficiancies,because no obvious pathogens were found.Our fish were receiving a varied diet including romaine lettuce and spinach.Initially,we tried elevating the level of vitamin C by incorporating a supplement into a gelatin based food, but this had no effect. We next considered supplementing the level of vitamin A. According to the 'Applied Nutrition and Diet Therapy',page 825, 'One of the most important functions of vitamin A is to maintain the integrity of the epithelial cells...As a result,surfaces of the skin and membranes lining all passages that open to the exterior of the body, as well as glands and ducts are susceptible to disease'.
This was the basis for trying increased amounts of vitamin A after the vitamin C supplement by itself failed to produce results.It was our feeling that the lining of the lateral line ducts had deteriorated.
We were concerned with possible toxicity of high vitamin A levels that has been reported for certain animals. Upon reviewing the nutritional value of different types of lettuce,we found them to be very low in nutrients and began researching the nutritional value of other green vegetables.
Spinach appeared to be higher than lettuce,but it does not hold up well in seawater.Carrots were found to be a good natural food,but they had to be shredded,and were quite messy to feed.
Still, we fed carrots solely for six to eight weeks and observed a resolution of the HLLE. A more complete literature review made broccoli an obvious choice. It is well balanced in many vitamins in addition to the high level of vitamin A, and also has other features that make it acceptable. It holds up very well in the aquarium.Many fish like the flowerettes when they are first added.Only the larger fish could break open the woody layer on the stalks, but once opened small fish feed on the softer pulp material.
We replaced the carrots with broccoli,and we are currently using it in a well-balanced maintenance diet.
After replacing the lettuce diet with first carrots and then fresh broccoli,the HLLE improved to the extent that only a few scars remained on the most severely affected fish.After nearly eight years in the exhibit,most of the original batch of blue tangs are still alive.Broccoli,supplemented with peas and other prepared foods,dominates the diet. No HLLE symptoms are evident in any of the fish in the exhibit."

anyways, mine eats cyclopeeze all the time

Would you only feed your dog salad? Or your rabbit a hamburger everyday? You are doing your fish a great disservice by limiting its food to meat.

honda2sk
07/23/2007, 02:05 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=10397812#post10397812 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Insane Reefer
Since I don't want this to turn into a great debate,

relax i wasnt debating, i asked what you were talking about to get more info.

i suggested cylopeeze to the poster that was worried he would starve because he was not eating anything. its loaded with hufas and vitamins and at this point i would think it would be a great idea for him to feed it to get any nutrients to him.

Insane Reefer
07/23/2007, 02:30 PM
Oh! I'm sorry if that sounded snippy - I just feel strongly about nutrition :)
I honestly wasn't sure how to take your post, so I tried to go the even road. I had started this thread about bananas, and got some flack from another member, so wasn't sure, lol.
http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1164711

I agree - eating something is important. LiveAquaria, when asked, said these blennies are trained to spirulina enriched mysids, the algae in the mysids will help some with malnutrition, but at some point the fish needs to be returned to a more natural diet. I think the only reason these fish won't eat appropriate foods is because the foods offered are too big to even be interesting. The blend I've made has the veggy/nori matter broken down to the size of large glitter flakes. About a 1/4 the size of a typical food flake.

I really, really think that if a tail spot isn't eating what it should, it is because what is being offered is too big...

honda2sk
07/23/2007, 03:00 PM
hence the cyclopeeze

even my spike fin goby (less then 1/2" length) is able to eat them

which reminds me of another thread the a poster named PAULB wrote recently about feeding newly hatched brine shrimp. they are perfect sized as well and have good nutrition.

bananas are fine to feed but only sometimes i feel. i feed my moorish idol pair squished up bananas once every two weeks and they dig it.

Kinetic
07/23/2007, 03:26 PM
honda2sk, I think he is also mentioning that cyclopeeze doesn't have the herbivorous diet in it. isn't cyclopeeze just a kind of shrimp or something? I think he's also saying it needs some greens / fruits as well possibly.

Insane Reefer
07/23/2007, 03:43 PM
That is exactly what She is saying ;) , and no possibly about it - Cyclopeese is a meat based food, not green based like herbivores need. Up to 25% of an herbivores diet can be meaty foods, but the other 75% needs to be veggy based if you want long term health.

That it is eating, but still loosing weight should indicate that something is wrong with its diet.

It is food. It will keep him from starving in the short term. But this diet will kill him sooner or later as he isn't really meant to survive on Cyclops, but on algae and kelp's supplemented by meat/protein.

Sk8r
07/23/2007, 03:49 PM
My lfs reports cure of hlle in a purple tang by soaking formula 2 in Zoe.

Actually, if you just buy a bit of algae'd rock from your lfs you can sustain him through the 'small' fry stage. Mine, in his second week in my tank, being quite small, is beginning to play catch with fine formula one pellet. I intend to try some formula 2. But he is spending his time sucking rocks, which is what he's supposed to do.

Insane Reefer
07/23/2007, 04:00 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=10398541#post10398541 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Sk8r
My lfs reports cure of hlle in a purple tang by soaking formula 2 in Zoe.

Selcon works too, from what I've read. The problem with additives like this is that they aren't very precise, if you get my drift? Several minerals and vitamins in these blends can be toxic. Either through over-dosing or possibly by too strong a concentration for a particular fish. That is why many hobbyists try to go a more natural approach, by offering a variety of nutritious foods so the fish may pick and choose based on its personal cravings that day, and not an arbitrary dosing that may do good, or may do bad, or more likely, a little of both.

I agree that adding a rock with algae is a good idea.

danch
07/24/2007, 08:11 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=10391727#post10391727 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Insane Reefer

Mine didn't even move for the first day, and took 3 to get him to eat.

I don't think you did anything wrong. I think you just got unlucky.
I would certainly head over to the LiveAquaria thread and report it, they will give you credit for your fish.

I called them right away. Their thought on the death was that it was acclimation/stress related as well. I'd be less distressed if he hadn't seemed so 'happy' right off the bat.

Thanks everyone for your reassurances and support. Sorry to jack the thread with such a downer.

Insane Reefer
07/24/2007, 08:28 AM
I asked for information on these fish - sometimes info isn't happy.
I'm keeping an eagle-eye on Bogo, with all the problems others have had, I hope I can avoid them and keep him healthy and as "happy" as he can be as a captive fish, for the duration of his life.

Death is an unfortunate side effect of life.
All we can do is live and learn...

LiveAquaria did honor their guarantee, right? Took care of you?

Sk8r
07/24/2007, 12:59 PM
Feeding success with Formula 2 frozen Spirulina cubes.

LiveAquaria is shipping them younger than previously, by my experience. An adult eats all sorts of things and eats until his belly is huge. These little ones they're shipping are more fragile, and need their algae. If you can't get an algaed rock for them, put in a piece of raw white dead coral: it will algae-up in short order, or try the Formula 2, which mine took a day learning, and then began to nosh down bravely in the face of shrimp and crabs and the best efforts of the chromis to eat it all.

It might be a bennie, too, to soak a Formula 2 cube in Selcon or Zoe to get these little guys built up. WOuldn't hurt any of the other eaters, either.

danch
07/24/2007, 04:46 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=10402874#post10402874 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Insane Reefer

LiveAquaria did honor their guarantee, right? Took care of you?

Yeah, that's no issue - their service was excellent as usual.

A LFS just happened to get one in stock as well. I asked what they were feeding it and watched it play with spirulina flake until the chunks were small enough to eat, and I did see it eat a smaller flake. He's apparently eating whatever will fit in his mouth.

They suggested I give him a few more days to increase the chances that he'll make it. I put down the deposit to hold him <crosses fingers/>

Both my QT and my display have plenty of algae on the live rock (I seeded the QT with rock, including a couple of partially cured pieces). No lack of browsing opportunities.

Chasmodes
07/26/2007, 11:59 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=10357169#post10357169 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Hypsoblennius
Mr. Michaels mentions that tailspots, like midas blennies, spend a lot of time feeding on zooplankton

I'd be careful to classify these blennies as herbivores simply because of Scott Michael's and other's observations of this species compared to others of the genus spending much more time feeding on zooplankton in the wild. In my opinion, this could lead to folks in the hobby thinking that supplemental feeding of meaty foods to be unnecessary when in fact it could be that this species requires a more balanced diet than suggested above. I have looked and have been unable to find any data reflecting percent of diet for them (greens vs. meat). Just because a retailer (web or otherwise) classifies them as herbivores doesn't mean that we should take heed on that. Not providing supplemental feeding of some meaty foods could (I stress could, not would, as I have no proof) cause malnutrition as well just as if only meaty foods were supplied. This species is probably opportunistic, so to be safe, I'd make sure that mine had a varied diet if I owned one, including both greens and meats that reflect as close as possible what we think they'd find in the wild.

I don't disagree with any of the points made above, but by classifying them as herbivores or applying a percent of greens to their diet is an assumption when others have observed different behavior in the wild. My suggestion to be careful here is only to make sure that the fishes needs aren't neglected because a retailer labels a fish a certain way, that these aren't treated like other blennies that feed only on greens in this genus or others (like LMB's).

If your tailspot lives in a community type reef tank where many types of food are offered, then I think that you can leave it up to your animal to find what it needs and not worry about it. If your fish is the feature fish in your tank, then you may want to make sure to offer a varied diet including a good supply of veggies.

I have no proof or data to back this up, only going on what I've read about them or from those that I know have had them, so please take this for what it's worth, a suggestion. If you have an established tank with lot's of pods and such, it's quite possible that by making sure that your tailspot get's enough veggies in it's diet that the meaty needs of it's diet may happen without your supplementation. They may actually feed in your tank equally on meats and veggies regardless of what you add to the tank. Your observations on your tailspot's health and behavior, and what your tank has to offer your fish are far more important barometers of success here than what anyone observes in the wild, what store's tell you, or any book will tell you.

So my point basically is that I think that it's best to observe them and offer them what seems to be missing from your tank (nutritionally) knowing that they have a more varied diet thank known herbivores in that genus in the wild.

Nice pics IR, I've enjoyed them very much! Keep them coming. Sorry for your loss danch...

Kinetic
07/26/2007, 12:43 PM
my blenny is definitely lacking some kind of nutrient, and i believe it's because he's ONLY grazing algae.

He basically needs some other kind of food, either it be...
1. Different algae that I haven't provided
2. Meaty foods

I'm going to try rubber banding nori to a rock and see if he'll go for it.

Insane Reefer
07/26/2007, 12:46 PM
Cool Kevin - thanks for the thoughts!
How I've been handling it is 2 feedings of veggies and one feeding of meat each day.
He is now eating the sheet nori from a clip, so I keep a piece in there at all times for his munching pleasure.

He is one uptight little dude though. If anything occurs in his tank that he doesn't approve of (which so far is anything other then dropping food in), he goes off to a "corner", bobs his fore-end up and down and "sulks" - sometimes for hours.
I dread the first tank cleaning...

Chasmodes
07/26/2007, 01:07 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=10419055#post10419055 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Insane Reefer
How I've been handling it is 2 feedings of veggies and one feeding of meat each day.

I think that's exactly what I'd do as well.

I can't get over how cool your fish looks! I know that the following statement has no scientific merit whatsoever...but...

...he look so smart!!!!!!!!!

Kinetic, I think that based on what others have tried above, particularly with IR's success thus far, the size of the offering is more important than what it is. If it's prepared or frozen food offered, maybe blending, smashing, pulverizing, or whatever you do to reduce the size would help.

I wonder how live artemia larvae would do? I wonder as well if zooplankton type foods (frozen, freeze dried, or other) would work too.

These guys are known to feed on detritus. If you have a sand bed, perhaps stirring a little bit up would do some good, maybe exposing some microfauna as well (assuming that doesn't pose other problems for you). Or, maybe taking a powerhead once in awhile and using it to supply current through your live rock and/or corals to free up some detritus and other potential foods that the blenny can't reach.

Another idea for algae, if you have another tank and are cleaning the glass and can trap some of that algae, perhaps you could offer that as food to your blenny too.

Kinetic
07/26/2007, 01:22 PM
I'm afraid my little guy has given up eating out of the water column =/

I used to think they were unable to eat out of the water column, but now I think it was just food size.

He tried to eat flakes, but he'd miss it, like it swoop out of the way before he could grab it.

and mine isn't timid at all. he's not afraid of anything. in fact I believe he considered grazing off my finger when I was moving frags around. cool little dude who's always in plain view or poking out between my frags in my frag tank =)

Insane Reefer
07/26/2007, 01:55 PM
What I've done is used my blender to finely grind the food stuffs.
At this point, my "Bogo Food Supreme" contains sheet algae (nori, red and brown), spinach (frozen), turnip greens (frozen), carrots (frozen), peas (dried-split), the little flowers off of broccoli (frozen), and banana (frozen).

First I break the sheet algae into pieces - about an inch in size, and throw those in the blender. Using pulse, I get it down to around typical flake size. Put it aside. Do the same for the dried peas (frozen peas have a nasty floating husk). Once the peas are chipped down to an appropriate size, soak them for a while in very hot RO while you deal with the rest.
Leave the frozen stuff frozen until you are ready to process that part - it helps. For the spinach, I used a heavy knife to cut off an ice cube size piece.
Using the Ice Crushing setting on my blender, I then chop up the carrots and other frozen stuff, each separately to make sure each is an appropriate size (and frozen stuff is a pain to blender).

Once everything is prepared, I use a fork and a old margarine tub - adding just enough RO to moisten but not drench the mix, and I mix it together really well. Mash it down lightly with a fork to create a flat "plate", put the lid on it and put it in the freezer.
http://i186.photobucket.com/albums/x176/Insane-Reefer/food1.jpg
Once hardened (overnight for me), break it into chunks (I fold the plate into a couple of layers of paper towel and bang on it with my meat mallet) and again using the blender Ice setting, turn this into a fine sized frozen flake.
http://i186.photobucket.com/albums/x176/Insane-Reefer/food2.jpg

Finally I bag it for use. Some will have defrosted a bit, so you may find that when it refreezes it is a bit lumpy - just slap the bag against a wall or counter and those should loosen back up.
http://i186.photobucket.com/albums/x176/Insane-Reefer/food3.jpg

I am awaiting a dry goods order, which will have Vita-Chem in it - when I have that, I will add some of that to the food as I prep it with the RO. Probably about half of what is recommended, since I think vitamins can do as much harm as good. I am also planning on adding guava to the mix next time around - that is some really nutritious fruit!

But this is my "Bogo Food Supreme". I simply run my finger around in the bag until enough to feed has stuck, then swirl my finger in the water until it is all in the tank. I don't have to try to break up over-sized cubes or anything - no fuss, no muss.

And Bogo loves it.

Insane Reefer
07/26/2007, 02:16 PM
I'm wondering Kinetic, if your flow isn't too much for the little guy?
Mine has no problem feeding from the column - in fact, he doesn't go to the bottom of the tank at all - he stays on the rock-work and darts out for his food.

This is fascinating. All of our fish came from the same place at the same time, Cebu, Philippines. And we all have gotten them this month. This makes it likely that all of our fish are related to each other, yet the differences in personality are wild.

Mine hates anything out of place in his tank - when I added the clear plastic veggie clip, he pouted in his corner for most of the day. When I put my hand in to retrieve the clip or to remove leftovers that have gotten loose, he pouts for several hours, yet Kinetics' is almost ready to eat from his hand. Mine is fascinated with watching stuff outside his tank, and nothing outside, even the dogs and cats rough-housing right in front of his tank, bothers him in the least - in fact, if he can't see what is going on very well, he will move to a better viewing location, lol.

When I first got my 'Cube, I had wondered about what fish to purchase. Kevin (Hypsoblennius) suggested this fish at that time, as I thought I might want a blenny as my one fish. I had waited and waited for either my LFS to find one or for LiveAquaria to get them in and me actually get one ordered. I am SO glad I took your advice Kevin - this little guy is so cool and fun, I don't think I will even consider another fish (for this tank)...

Kinetic
07/26/2007, 02:40 PM
I got mine earlier this year, I think in February or March maybe, I forget.

The flow may be too much, I'm running about 75x turnover, and he definitely hangs out under the frag rack where there is less flow. He never goes into the area with high flow, I'm pretty sure it may shoot him out of the tank =) But when I feed I turn all but one small pump off. I think he just can't eat the darned flakes because they're too... well, flakey.

Insane Reefer
07/26/2007, 02:58 PM
Ah - my mistake on the time frame for your guy - but still it is likely that they all are related - from what I can gather these blennys are only found in that one locale...

Chasmodes
07/26/2007, 03:12 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=10419695#post10419695 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Insane Reefer
I am SO glad I took your advice Kevin - this little guy is so cool and fun, I don't think I will even consider another fish (for this tank)...

Bogo is in good hands! I'm very happy that he's working out so well for you and, more importantly, that you've fallen for blennies. Now I'm not the only blenny nut out there, LOL. Actually, back when I first had them, you couldn't find blennies hardly at all. Every now and then one would show up in an LFS.

My first blenny died, unfortunately, because back then materials just weren't available about husbandry of most of these guys. My first one was from the Mediterranean Sea and was a cold water fish. I didn't know this at the time (found out many years later) and he simply wasn't compatible with the warm reef environment.

My next one was a Molly Miller (formerly known as Blennius cristata, now correctly named Scartella cristata). This blenny grows rather large, about 5" long, and is quite aggressive (picks on fish holding similar niche but otherwise is a good fish) and is an omnivore. Current literature available to aquarists sometimes label it a herbivore, but in my experience it NEVER ate algae (micro or macro) for the 4 years that he survived in my tank. He scarfed up any meaty meal that I could provide.

After my tank crashed (the cause of his death), I caught a blenny from the Chesapeake Bay, a critter known as the feather blenny (Hypsoblennius hentzi, hence - no pun intended - my user name). This guy too was a meat eater. Both the Molly Miller and this blenny had tons, and I mean tons, of personality, so much so that more expensive fish in my tank became boring to me...with the exception of my angels, of course. Those two fish have since been my favorites, for nearly 30 years now, and my inspiration to learn as much as possible about any blenny that I come across. My "bay" blenny used to swim to the surface during feeding time and when I placed my hand in the tank would perch in my hand as I fed him by hand. Lacking a swim bladder made him probably one of the last to reach food as it floated down, but with a sympathetic blenny loving handler, he all of a sudden had the feeding advantage.

Anyway, I could go on and on but I'll spare you. That's how I became hooked on blennies. Now, IR, yer hooked too! Ain't they cute?

By the way, my blenny oyster reef tank is finally coming along. I'm in the process of building the stand, pics to come on my thread of the progress. After that, it's a little bit of plumbing, installing the circulation equipment and lighting, establishing the rock and sand bed (bio filter), then collection of the blennies. I hope to have this all done by mid September, fish and all.

Bogo Food Supreme looks pretty good to me. No MSG? Wonder how it will taste over some steamed rice and a little sushi? Oops...guess that's taboo on this site, LOL...

Now IR, you'll have to find a way to make some MMLR with built in blenny food supplementation...more oyster shell to enhance algae growth perhaps? I'm kidding, but hey, if anyone can do it you can!

Chasmodes
07/27/2007, 12:14 PM
Notice: Bogo made my wallpaper at work :D :bum:

Sk8r
07/27/2007, 12:20 PM
Hypsoblennius, I'm another blenny-lover---blennies and gobies: they're the focus of my tank; but I've hesitated to get another blenny with the tailspot for fear of blenny-wars, or a conflict with the somewhat-blenny-shaped yellow watchman who dominates my tank.
Have you had experience with blenny-goby, tailspot-other-blenny interactions? I'd love to get another blenny, but what's compatible?

Insane Reefer
07/27/2007, 02:25 PM
Awesome Kevin! Go Bogo, Go! :celeb3:
I shrunk those images from the original high quality 1600X1200 ones. If you would like, I'll gladly send you the original - would make a better desktop (might still want to reduce it a bit for size - if you tell me your desktop size, I can do that before I send)...
Just PM with a email addy if you do :)

As far as algae growing rocks, hmmm...
There is just something in me that rebels at making rock that will grow algae on purpose, lol
Unfortunately, hair algae isn't an issue with MMLR, or at least it hasn't been IME. Diatoms at the very beginning - first week or so in the tank. And some other type, very deep green and encrusting, rarely gains any height, even after the snails get through with a patch, you can't tell they have been there though. Have no clue what that type of algae it is, but that is what my rock typically grows.

Chasmodes
07/27/2007, 03:17 PM
I'd say that, generally, members of the same genus may not get along. However, that's not always the case. If there are enough hiding places and the tank is large enough, you may find that multiple blennies could get along. If you're keeping more than one of the same species, the larger the tank the better your chances. Competition is the driving factor, for food, hiding spaces, space, and perhaps even mates. The more similar they are, the more likely that they will spar. However, these are generalities. There are many blenny species and each may behave differently.

I've never owned a tailspot before, but I've had in the same tank, a Molly Miller and a bicolor blenny. They lived peacefully together. My theory on that was that they each had very different diets, and that they'd probably get along, and they did. Occasionally the Molly Miller would shoo the bicolor off of one of his favorite perches, but never attacked him. I had a scooter mandarin at the time and they left him alone altogether. I also had a hawkfish, and they would get into it once in awhile as well. I never had a problem with pseudochromids or gobies either.

In your case, perhaps a barnacle blenny or one from that genus would work out for you.

Unfortunately, they are relatively hard to catch in a reef, so experimentation can be either very easy if it works, or a nightmare if it doesn't. My suggestion would be to ask the question as to what specific blennies you would like to add to your tank and see if anyone has experience putting them together before trying it. This would be a good thread to start another blenny topic on rather than hijack IR's thread...

Sk8r
07/27/2007, 03:46 PM
Agreed. Let's do that. Let's try Blenny Compatibility for a title.

And now back to IR's thread on the Tailspot Blenny, my favorite blenny in the whole universe.

BTW, I found another feeding 'hit' with my little guy---"PRime Reef." He'll stuff himself as far as he can with the little mouth he's got.

I was very worried about my little guy, because a head blew off a seaswirl, and the resultant sand-storm abraded a white spot on his head [about the size of a pinhead] and I was interested in feeding him carefully to make sure he has the wherewithal to heal, after first being introduced to a new tank and then bombed with sand grains.
Happened four days ago: today, especially after the feeding 2 days in a row of Prime reef, previously of Formula 2 cube, it's faded out nearly entirely, and he's up and snatching food from everybody. So glad to see him sassy as they're supposed to be!

Chasmodes
07/27/2007, 04:02 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=10427716#post10427716 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Sk8r
Agreed. Let's do that. Let's try Blenny Compatibility for a title.

Done...Blenny Compatibility thread started...

Sorry Sk8r, after reading back I hope that I didn't offend you about my hijacking comment. I was merely referring to my propensity to ramble on and on, not anyone else.

Sk8r
07/27/2007, 04:05 PM
Not at all, Hypsoblennius---delighted to pick your brain on this topic. [And now we'll both duck out to our thread. [I suspect we've each started one. I'll move my comment to yours. ;)]]

Kinetic
07/27/2007, 04:22 PM
i couldn't find my tailspot last night for at least 30 minutes, I hope he pops up today =(

Insane Reefer
07/27/2007, 04:23 PM
And so?
Links please :)

Insane Reefer
07/27/2007, 04:24 PM
That's a boo, Kinetic :(

Hopefully he is just pouting about something...

Chasmodes
07/30/2007, 10:56 AM
Kinetic, did you find your tailspot?

IR, any updates? Howz Bogo doing?

Links to other blenny threads:

Here's a link to the Blenny Compatibility thread: Blenny Compatibility (http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1171999)

Here's a link to my current blenny project: Oyster Reef Ecosystem Tank (http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=839286)

Insane Reefer
07/30/2007, 02:59 PM
http://i186.photobucket.com/albums/x176/Insane-Reefer/th_b6b0721d.jpg (http://s186.photobucket.com/albums/x176/Insane-Reefer/?action=view&current=b6b0721d.flv)

Click on the picture to see Bogo feeding today.
Sorry my video camera sucks so bad - it does ok for horses and parties, not so good on inch long fish...

You can see him wrestling with a large piece of meat - he wants it, it is just too big.

heuerfan
07/30/2007, 03:05 PM
I've had a tail spot for 2 weeks now and he is definitely a cool fish. He is constantly grazing at my rocks and back wall for algae plus he loves to eat hikarii frozen blood worms. Glad to see that he doesn't even notice my crocea clam. I used to have a bicolor blenny and that guy was a clam killer.

Insane Reefer
07/30/2007, 03:23 PM
I need your help peoples.

My favorite LFS (and guy I sell most of my rock to), would really, really like to carry these and the Bicolor Blennies. However, none of his current distributors carry them, and never have.

I know LiveAquaria isn't the only place to sell these - I hear that some of you got yours at the LFS.

So. Those of you who have these, and didn't get them at LiveAquaria, could you please, pretty please, ask your LFS to tell you the name and number of the distributor that these guys are coming from?

I'd be ever so grateful :)

Chasmodes
07/31/2007, 12:06 PM
Cool vid IR! That fires me up!

I often wonder when fish suck in large chunks of food and "chew" on them, then spit them out, if they succeed in breaking off and swallowing tiny pieces until it's no longer worth the effort to do so. Otherwise, you'd think that they'd give up the first time.

Or...

Maybe it simply tastes good to them and they have incentive to keep trying but just can't swallow it?

I'm not talking about only blennies, but other fish with small mouths seem to do this as well (angels).

Insane Reefer
07/31/2007, 12:21 PM
In answer to that Kevin, I payed close attention to that very behaviour last night. After I had fed, Bogo was still looking for food, so I threw in a few Formula One (small pellet).

I knew from watching before that he can't swallow one whole - he plays with it, but like you I wondered if this was actual play, or a feeding attempt. What I saw last night makes me really wish I had a decent close in video camera :(

Bogo caught and lost several pieces to the sand (he won't feed from the floor) before he got one and took it over to a flat rock and stayed there with it. He proceeded to pop it in and out, in and out, catching and spitting. It was cool, because each time, when you really watch, you can see the pellet get smaller and smaller.
Finally, he sucked it in and it was gone.

Chasmodes
07/31/2007, 12:27 PM
Another general blenny observation, probably a big part of their personable appearance, is that they seem to have a "neck", in addition to their active eyes and keen eyesight. It's cool when they're on their perch and they turn to have a look at something. There are other types of fish that seem to do this and, not suprisingly, are also among my favorites to watch: hawkfish, pseudochromids, and jawfish.

Groupers, angels, puffers, triggers, wrasses, and many others have the active eyes, but it's the "neck" that fascinates me! Don't get me wrong, I love the types of fish listed in this post ALMOST as much as blennies!

Insane Reefer
07/31/2007, 12:45 PM
In reference to the "neck", Bogo displays interesting behaviour when agitated - like when I put my hand in the tank. When he is upset about something, he bobs his head up and down, sort of like an autistic doing the catatonic rock. If he is really upset, he moves to a corner to do it. I've noticed that he displays more white spots around his head and face, and down his lateral line when he is doing this, as well. I never knew blennies did the color change thing - sort of interesting to see.
Too bad Bogo is upset by almost anything that happens inside his tank. I was hoping he would get over it as he settled into his new environment, but he hasn't thus far...
:(

rich99rich
07/31/2007, 08:46 PM
Insane Reefer, I admire the dedication you have for your fish! My fish just told me that they're jealous and want some of that Bogo Food Supreme.

I've had a tailspot for about 6 months now, and he eats mysis and pellets, in addition to grazing on the rocks. I have a sailfin blenny in my 180, and they ignore each other. I'm really glad I purchased this fish.

Insane Reefer
07/31/2007, 09:05 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=10456014#post10456014 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by rich99rich
I have a sailfin blenny in my 180, and they ignore each other. I'm really glad I purchased this fish.

Me too - they are great little fish!

You should post your blennies in Kevins' (Hypsoblennius) Blenny Compatibility (http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1171999) thread :)

BTW - it took me less then half an hour total to make Bogo Food Supreme. It is really easy and IMO, really worth it...

JJohn
08/01/2007, 01:46 PM
Hope you don't mind that I add an image to this thread. Below is my little TS Blenny. Have had him about 8 months. Got him from LiveAquaria also. Great fish and one of my favorites. Mine eats everything. He grazes on the rocks and grabs small pieces of Formula One and Spirulina Flakes. This is one fish that does not need me to add any food to the tank. He takes care of himself by grazing all day long.

http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n299/JJohn_photos/TailSpot1S.jpg

Insane Reefer
08/01/2007, 04:13 PM
Great Picture! Thanks for posting!
This is by no means meant to be a "Bogo" exclusive thread, but a thread dedicated to them in general and peoples' experience's with them - if anyone else wants to post images, videos or even links, please don't hesitate.

Bogo still isn't into eating from the rocks (rock sucking), nor the floor (even when he sees food sitting there, will just not eat from the sand), but anything that floats in the column and will fit his mouth, is fair game. And as noted before, if it is too big, and something he really likes, he will break it up by playing with it. He is picking something off the back glass wall - not sure if he is going for algae or those really tiny (sugar sand sized) sea flea thingy's...

InLimbo87
08/12/2007, 08:07 AM
I just read through all this thread, and it definitely is a great resource for all the tailspot blenny owners on here.

Meet Lenny, I had my LFS special order him and have had him in my Nanocube 12 for about two weeks now. He's constantly grazing the algae off the rocks/walls/glass and also loves Formula One's Spirulina blend food.

He is getting along well with my True Perc, and seems to get kind of sassy with her at times.

http://i108.photobucket.com/albums/n18/InLimbo87/Nanocube%2012%20Gallon/August5021.jpg

http://i108.photobucket.com/albums/n18/InLimbo87/Nanocube%2012%20Gallon/August5028.jpg

Insane Reefer
08/12/2007, 08:11 AM
:wave:
Hi Lenny!

Insane Reefer
08/12/2007, 11:10 PM
Bogo was moved to his display tank today :)
http://i186.photobucket.com/albums/x176/Insane-Reefer/bogointhewall.jpg
He really likes hiding in the holes in the backwall.

http://i186.photobucket.com/albums/x176/Insane-Reefer/bogomovesin.jpg
Here he is, just chillin'...

He gave me a run for my money getting him out of QT, but only took him half an hour to settle in, and now he loves it :)

InLimbo87
08/13/2007, 07:01 AM
Glad to see Bogo has settled well into his new home. Mine also loves the holes in the rocks, and lately he also really likes to perch on my GSP's.

Thanks for the sharing the pics. Can never get enough tailspot pics ;)

Serioussnaps
08/13/2007, 11:29 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=10398606#post10398606 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Insane Reefer
Selcon works too, from what I've read. The problem with additives like this is that they aren't very precise, if you get my drift? Several minerals and vitamins in these blends can be toxic. Either through over-dosing or possibly by too strong a concentration for a particular fish. That is why many hobbyists try to go a more natural approach, by offering a variety of nutritious foods so the fish may pick and choose based on its personal cravings that day, and not an arbitrary dosing that may do good, or may do bad, or more likely, a little of both.

I agree that adding a rock with algae is a good idea.

Never heard of zoe or selcon causing ANY detriment to ANY fish. Sometimes we go overboard in our statements.:D

Serioussnaps
08/13/2007, 11:34 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=10418721#post10418721 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Hypsoblennius
I'd be careful to classify these blennies as herbivores simply because of Scott Michael's and other's observations of this species compared to others of the genus spending much more time feeding on zooplankton in the wild. In my opinion, this could lead to folks in the hobby thinking that supplemental feeding of meaty foods to be unnecessary when in fact it could be that this species requires a more balanced diet than suggested above. I have looked and have been unable to find any data reflecting percent of diet for them (greens vs. meat). Just because a retailer (web or otherwise) classifies them as herbivores doesn't mean that we should take heed on that. Not providing supplemental feeding of some meaty foods could (I stress could, not would, as I have no proof) cause malnutrition as well just as if only meaty foods were supplied. This species is probably opportunistic, so to be safe, I'd make sure that mine had a varied diet if I owned one, including both greens and meats that reflect as close as possible what we think they'd find in the wild.

I don't disagree with any of the points made above, but by classifying them as herbivores or applying a percent of greens to their diet is an assumption when others have observed different behavior in the wild. My suggestion to be careful here is only to make sure that the fishes needs aren't neglected because a retailer labels a fish a certain way, that these aren't treated like other blennies that feed only on greens in this genus or others (like LMB's).

If your tailspot lives in a community type reef tank where many types of food are offered, then I think that you can leave it up to your animal to find what it needs and not worry about it. If your fish is the feature fish in your tank, then you may want to make sure to offer a varied diet including a good supply of veggies.

I have no proof or data to back this up, only going on what I've read about them or from those that I know have had them, so please take this for what it's worth, a suggestion. If you have an established tank with lot's of pods and such, it's quite possible that by making sure that your tailspot get's enough veggies in it's diet that the meaty needs of it's diet may happen without your supplementation. They may actually feed in your tank equally on meats and veggies regardless of what you add to the tank. Your observations on your tailspot's health and behavior, and what your tank has to offer your fish are far more important barometers of success here than what anyone observes in the wild, what store's tell you, or any book will tell you.

So my point basically is that I think that it's best to observe them and offer them what seems to be missing from your tank (nutritionally) knowing that they have a more varied diet thank known herbivores in that genus in the wild.

Nice pics IR, I've enjoyed them very much! Keep them coming. Sorry for your loss danch...

GREAT POST!

Insane Reefer
08/13/2007, 01:45 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=10543152#post10543152 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Serioussnaps
Never heard of zoe or selcon causing ANY detriment to ANY fish. Sometimes we go overboard in our statements.:D

LOL!
Just because you haven't heard of it, doesn't mean it doesn't exist - and I'm not pointing fingers at any one supplement, but supplements in general...
It is possible to overdose any organism on vitamins and minerals - this pertains to overdose in general:
http://www.google.com/search?sourceid=navclient&ie=UTF-8&rls=GGLG,GGLG:2006-29,GGLG:en&q=vitamin+overdose

And specifically to fish:
http://www.advancedaquarist.com/2006/3/aafeature1
"Cod liver oil contains a lot of vitamin A so do not use it on a continual basis, because it is possible to overdose."

http://www.aqualog.de/news/news_pdfen/News30e.pdf
Secure PDF, so can't copy the text, see page 4, to the right.

http://www.colszoo.org/internal/drum_croaker/pdf/2004SS2.pdf
"And thirdly, the question arose of a possible vitamin overdose from the increased feeding schedule." Goes on "Even though vitamin overdose could not be totally ruled out..."

And finally, a quote, from another thread in a '95 magazine.
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=769852#post769852 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Gary Majchrzak
Steve Colllins, curator of the Indianapolis Zoo-Aquarium in a 1995 issue of 'SeaScope' ...
Quote:
We were concerned with possible toxicity of high vitamin A levels that has been reported for certain animals.

Do most of us do autopsies on our dead fish? Do we know why the fish died? Maybe it was obvious - it was attacked, but often fish "just die", and the lack or over-abundance of vitamins and minerals has got to be responsible for some of the deaths...

So yes, sometimes we can go overboard with our statements, eh, Serioussnaps?

Serioussnaps
08/13/2007, 02:23 PM
I should have said that I haven't read anything about it, haven't EXPERIENCED it(and theres quite a bit) and asked for WHERE you read this. Of course I understand that my not reading about it doesn't doesn't suffice to mean that it isn't true, but before I say it is absolutely ridiculous I will read the google articles and advanced aquarist articles you posted ( of course these are second to none sources you offer me) not to mention that "the over abundance of vitamins and minerals has got to be responsible for some of the deaths" statement suffers from the same flaw as my statement. Just because there is an overabundance(not proven either) of vitamins and minerals does NOT mean that some of the fish MUST have died from it at some or any point. Do you usually counter a flawed statement with one that has the EXACT same flaws?

Anyways, cool tail spot. Do you keep him with any SPS or clams? I would love to have one but most blennys love to nip at every peice of living surface area they can IME. I love debate too, take it as friendly banter.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=10544084#post10544084 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Insane Reefer
LOL!
Just because you haven't heard of it, doesn't mean it doesn't exist - and I'm not pointing fingers at any one supplement, but supplements in general...
It is possible to overdose any organism on vitamins and minerals - this pertains to overdose in general:
http://www.google.com/search?sourceid=navclient&ie=UTF-8&rls=GGLG,GGLG:2006-29,GGLG:en&q=vitamin+overdose

And specifically to fish:
http://www.advancedaquarist.com/2006/3/aafeature1
"Cod liver oil contains a lot of vitamin A so do not use it on a continual basis, because it is possible to overdose."

http://www.aqualog.de/news/news_pdfen/News30e.pdf
Secure PDF, so can't copy the text, see page 4, to the right.

http://www.colszoo.org/internal/drum_croaker/pdf/2004SS2.pdf
"And thirdly, the question arose of a possible vitamin overdose from the increased feeding schedule." Goes on "Even though vitamin overdose could not be totally ruled out..."

Do most of us do autopsies on our dead fish? Do we know why the fish died? Maybe, it was obvious - it was attacked, but often fish "just die", and the lack or over-abundance of vitamins and minerals has got to be responsible for some of the deaths...

So yes, sometimes we can go overboard with our statements, eh, Serioussnaps? :D

Insane Reefer
08/13/2007, 02:32 PM
If vitamins can heal, they can also harm. You've been given several articles, mainly quotes, to start you out.
That is all I will say about this - I stand by my statements, one and all.

My blenny doesn't nip things, he is in a soft coral tank and I don't have enough light for clams, except maybe cleaner clams, which I can't find locally. Mine also won't eat from the sand bed. He doesn't jump, and he is a camera ham, coming up to the glass and "posing", which gets sort of annoying when you want a "natural" shot.

danch
08/14/2007, 06:35 PM
The Klauswitz' Blenny (Ecsenius Lineatus - Linear Blenny)

http://reefcentral.com/gallery/data/543/138130Klaus_body_cropped.jpg

He's not a tail spot, but he is a relative. He's been in my QT for 4 days now, banging his face against the rocks and glass, eating my pods and formula 2 flake.

Sorry for the thread jack, but I wanted to share!

InLimbo87
08/14/2007, 09:00 PM
Very cool blenny~! I was considering that one in my hunt for blennies but decided to go with the tailspot. looks pretty similar, thanks for sharing the pic :)

Insane Reefer
08/14/2007, 09:55 PM
Definitely a kissin' cousin, lol!
Very cool little dude - nice find :)
Keep us posted!

Bogo has really taken to the MMLR back wall I have - I made holes in it hoping to use them to mount corals, but Bogo likes them, and is funny as he "hunkers" down, tail first, into these wall holes, lol. I've been trying to get a better picture of it, but the ham jumps out to pose for me.

And he is finally displaying the "face bashing" that others have detailed - you'd think bashing your face into cement would hurt...

Chasmodes
08/15/2007, 06:27 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=10555593#post10555593 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Insane Reefer
Bogo has really taken to the MMLR back wall I have - I made holes in it hoping to use them to mount corals, but Bogo likes them, and is funny as he "hunkers" down, tail first, into these wall holes, lol. I've been trying to get a better picture of it, but the ham jumps out to pose for me.

I can see the next step here IR...

...custom MMLR just for Bogo, complete with tubes and holes so that you can free up your back wall for corals. :smokin:

Insane Reefer
08/15/2007, 06:58 AM
LOL, Kevin :)
Trust me - I've been trying. Really hard to make a nice piece when your footprint is 10x14 (then subtract the 1" around for the Mag-Float). I've cast 7 pieces for this tank now, and all have "failed" for one reason or another - mostly too big, but a few I just didn't like. Nice thing is that these are still fairly cool pieces, so the LFS snaps them up, but it stinks as I still just have a couple of pieces of real LR for my 'scaping.
When I finally get the piece I want, I'll post a pic :)

MGB
08/15/2007, 04:43 PM
Question for the Blennie experts - What about the compatability between my existing "lawnmower" blennie and a tailspot. I have 200lbs of live rock in my 160 gal. I would love to get a tailspot but I'm worried about aggression from the lawnmower. Anybody tried it, opinions welcomed.

MGB

Kinetic
08/17/2007, 05:01 PM
So I determined that my last tailspot died. I haven't seen the little dude in at least a month now. He used to always perch on this one rock, and now I haven't seen him at all.

But luckily, diver's den just put up another pair!!!! So I guess I'm getting another pair of tailspots. I really hope they both make it this time. The last time the first one died after a week. Hopefully these really pair up and are happy.

Anybody else have success in keeping a pair?

I'm going to start them off in a matured 8g tank for now and try to get them eating formula 2 crumbles, enriched brine and maybe small bits of mysis.

Mr.Limpet
08/21/2007, 12:19 AM
Has anyone kept two tailspots in one tank? I have a 150 gallon with two live rock islands. I was hoping each one would stake out it's own island.

Kinetic
08/21/2007, 12:20 AM
i'm getting a pair in tomorrow, i'll let you know how it goes. I'm going to QT them in a 40g tank.

ralphie16
09/12/2007, 08:49 AM
How is the behavior of these blenny's with other fish? Are they aggressive towards any other fish? Do they get scared of other fish? Do they attack small shrimp (like sexy shrimp)?

Sk8r
09/12/2007, 08:53 AM
Mine gets along splendidly with my fish list.

rssjsb
09/12/2007, 08:54 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=10749896#post10749896 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by ralphie16
How is the behavior of these blenny's with other fish? Are they aggressive towards any other fish? Do they get scared of other fish? Do they attack small shrimp (like sexy shrimp)? I had mine in a ten gallon with two sexy shrimp for over a year without incident. It's now in a 20L with a bluestripe pipefish and a couple of small gobies and I've never seen him even look at them.

ralphie16
09/12/2007, 09:12 AM
thanks for the good news!

Insane Reefer
09/12/2007, 11:53 AM
Bogo lived in terror of a unidentified hermit - buried himself in the rubble at night, and never let the hermit get near him. I got rid of that hermit. He is fine with the other normal hermits though.

Chasmodes
10/11/2007, 06:41 AM
IR, we need a Bogo update? Howz he doin'?

InLimbo87
10/11/2007, 07:53 AM
I don't know about bogo, but Lenny's been doing fantastic. I think I've had him for about two months now. He did have an issue when I put a neon goby in after him (he was harrassing the goby) but now they're the best of friends.

Here's a group shot of the fish in my tank :D

http://i108.photobucket.com/albums/n18/InLimbo87/Nanocube%2012%20Gallon/October8GroupShot.jpg

Chasmodes
10/11/2007, 12:07 PM
Alright Lenny!!!!!! :dance:

I really love the colors on those tailspots. I may have to set up a nano just for them!

Kinetic
10/11/2007, 12:32 PM
I'm thinking that too. I've lost my other pair in a 40g breeder, they just get lost in there and I can't spot feed them. They graze but I think they're lacking nutrient (protein).

thor32766
10/11/2007, 01:15 PM
they are sweet!

Insane Reefer
10/11/2007, 09:30 PM
Bogo is doing GREAT!

http://i186.photobucket.com/albums/x176/Insane-Reefer/bogo-oct2.jpg

http://i186.photobucket.com/albums/x176/Insane-Reefer/bogo-oct3.jpg

http://i186.photobucket.com/albums/x176/Insane-Reefer/bogo-oct1.jpg

He has grown about 1/2" since I got him. I've cut him down to one meal a day as he didn't really seem to need it anymore, and is doing well foraging for the rest of what he needs.

Insane Reefer
11/13/2007, 02:00 AM
Let me make a correction.

I was advised to cut back my feeding schedule by several people.
Bad call.
Bogo is fine, but I noticed that he seemed to be loosing weight and while still constantly in motion, he seemed a bit lethargic, so I put him back on a twice a day schedule a week or so ago, and he seems to be putting on weight again and has more spunk too.

So my advice to anyone with a tailspot is to feed twice a day, two very small meals to be sure, but two meals just the same.

yousmellsfishy
07/19/2008, 11:25 AM
How about a Bogo update? I just got a TS blennie (no name yet) and read this thread. Lots of great info. Thanks to the contributors.

Insane Reefer
07/19/2008, 02:35 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12979892#post12979892 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by yousmellsfishy
How about a Bogo update? I just got a TS blennie (no name yet) and read this thread. Lots of great info. Thanks to the contributors.

Bogo is really doing well. I've gotten some new lights, from a different manufacturer, and they aren't flattering to him at all and my camera has a hard time with the brighter light too. So after almost an hour of shooting, I got one "good" shot.
Here you go :)

http://i186.photobucket.com/albums/x176/Insane-Reefer/Bogo-One-Year-Old-2008.jpg

I have to admit that I've been a bad momma too, and the last couple of months or so I have been sort of neglecting his morning feeding, and he has lost a little weight. It is really a Catch 22. If I feed him twice a day, my water quality suffers horribly and so does everything else, but Bogo. If I feed him once a day, he looses weight but the tank flourishes...

I'm trying a new schedule of morning feedings every other day or so, with sort of heavy night time feedings. I'll keep an eye on his weight and if this seems to be working, I'll post it.

Otherwise, he is awesome. He recently turned a year old and has developed quite the personality. Total ham. If you stick you face up to the glass, he comes out and dances. He eats readily from my fingers. He is still a bit prissy and pouts if something upsets him, but he doesn't upset very often.

I replaced the temp rock from previous photo's with the MLR piece I made custom for this tank. I've also gotten a lot of soft corals too, and with it spreading out, it is really starting to look like a miniature reef in there. Bogo loves swimming in and out of the hollow structure, he goes in and you never know exactly where he will come out again. He hardly sits still, so it is hard to get good shots of him, and the one place he regularly perches isn't camera friendly...

yousmellsfishy
07/30/2008, 04:14 AM
Well I'm happy to report that my new TSB (11 days in his new home) is eating everything I put in the tank plus he's constantly grazing the LR. He's got a fat little belly too:) I was a little worried after reading this thread about getting him to eat. It sure doesn't seem like it's gonna be a problem. Also, he seems to have made friends with my clown goby, Tweety. They often sit on the same mushroom coral touching each other. I'll try and get a pic up soon.