PDA

View Full Version : frag placement

PeterC2508
07/13/2007, 06:31 PM
I am fairly new to sps, but I need help with ideas of how to place my frags. I am running out of holes in my rock to place the bottoms of those pegs that the frags come on. Is there anyway to take them off?

dots
07/13/2007, 06:58 PM
Most don't like using those because some critters like to hide in the AC plugs. I just think they are ugly.

I take them off the plugs, glue them on some rubble with the Loctite Superglue gel and glue the piece to the rock. While it is growing and encrusting you can move it if you change your aquascape or find it is in the wrong spot and needs more or less light.

Eventually when you are happy with the placement, it will encrust and be permantly fixed.

PeterC2508
07/13/2007, 10:18 PM
how do i get it off the plug?

dots
07/13/2007, 10:25 PM
A blowtorch and a winch........make sure you don't hold it too tight or else you will squeeze the polyps out of the top.

dots
07/13/2007, 10:27 PM
cut it off with a dremel tool or a hacksaw if your low tech like me. Cut it as close as you can. But even if you don't if you like you can keep the plug and sell it off as a frag when it regrows.

PeterC2508
07/13/2007, 10:52 PM
can you run me through your process step by step?

dots
07/13/2007, 11:44 PM
I was kidding around a little with you, but I already have.......what are you unsure of? Type of winch to use or blow torch tips size?

Grab hold of it, cut it off, glue it on a piece of rubble, glue the afore mentioned rubble to the location of your desire, and serve with a nice chianti and farva beans.

Keep the plug if you want and have dipped it for pests. (hopefully that was the first thing you did when you brought it home) Sell said plug when it regrows and repeat process.

I don't like the plugs and prefer the natural look that the rubble gives.

PeterC2508
07/14/2007, 09:38 AM
thanks, Now I get it