PDA

View Full Version : Mysis shrimp (what do they eat?)

ctreefer
07/13/2007, 06:31 PM
I've got what I can only identify as a bunch of Mysid shrimp growing in my little 10 gallon nano softy tank. The run around like crazy over everything in the dark corners of the tank and are about 3-5mm in length. There are no fish in there even though there have been in the past. what I feed on occasion contains a mixture of golden pearls, frozen cyclopeeze and some frozen mysid and fortified brine(for the softies). Would Mysid eat any of this stuff? (specifically the young as I'd like to keep them growing for a pipe fish down the road.)

Paintbug
07/13/2007, 06:56 PM
they eat anything they can. even their young. :) they usually small algae.

Mark426
07/13/2007, 07:19 PM
mine love frozen cyclopeeze

vessxpress1
07/13/2007, 09:13 PM
I've got them too and I do have fish in the tank but they must be able to hide well enough not to get eaten. I think the corals pick them off at night as they get blown around though.

The water column in my phosban reactor is currently full of them, about 1 mm or less in length. The adults I've seen in the tank are roughly 3 to 5 mm like you say. I don't feed them anything special. They're on their own. If they can thrive long term in a phosban reactor, I'm guessing their requirements are minimal.

davidryder
07/13/2007, 09:29 PM
You sure they aren't amphipods? Either way they eat just about anything they can get their grubby little 'hands' on. Leftover food, phyto, whatever...

Reefbox
07/13/2007, 09:39 PM
They probably r copepods or amphipods, I have tons of them in my refugiums but they could be mysids.

I do know that mysids are definetely canniballistic shrimp and to culture mysids (im looking into possibly culturing live mysids for my seahorses) you have to seperate the adult mysids from the baby mysids or you probably wont have any more baby mysids because they will all get ate by the bigger mysids.

ctreefer
07/14/2007, 07:07 AM
Thanks for the input everyone. They're definitely mysids. I looked at the article by Shimek along with the video and that's exactly what I have.

lvreefer
07/14/2007, 08:01 AM
This artitcle might help...Mysis Culturing (http://www.seahorse.org/library/articles/mysisCulturing.shtml) ...Better late than never :hmm2:

hankthetank
07/14/2007, 11:41 AM
Used to culture mysis for bioassays.Their cannibalistic tendencies can be minimized by frequent heavy feedings.Water quality will be the problem.Also cultures tend to crash so reculture frequently.