PDA

View Full Version : need sand sifter recommendation

mh6i
07/13/2007, 07:17 PM
I'm looking for a sand-sifting fish to round out my 46G reef tank. My other fish are not very aggressive: firefish, royal gramma, banggai cardinal, six-line wrasse and an "active" but not overly aggressive four-line damsel. I'd like to get a fish that will actively scoop up and spit out mouthfuls of sand most of the time. I have medium grain Carib Sea aragonite in my tank. I've seen several fish at my LFS that can perform this function; I just wanted to get specific fish recommendations from other RC members based on your experience and my current fish list. Hardiness would be a big plus. I do plan on adding some zooanthids and a tridacna clam to my tank at some point, in case that matters. Thanks in advance for your feedback.

kevin2000
07/13/2007, 07:39 PM
My 02

You have 5 fish in a 46 which many would say is a tight fit .. adding one more fish may create more problems than it helps.

Almost all new tanks have lousy looking substrates .. thats because the micro organisms/critters populations that keep substrates clean are still growing. Many "sand sifters" eat those very organism that keep the substrate clean and their only contribution to "cleaning" is inadvertently/cosmetically moving the sand while they come and go.

Sometimes patience, reduce feeding, and some research on clean up crew alternatives maybe a better solution.

tmz
07/13/2007, 07:45 PM
I have and like a diamond goby. Carefull they jump

mh6i
07/14/2007, 03:00 PM
I don't necessarily need it to keep the substrate clean- my Nassarius snails, hermit crabs and other cleaning crew are doing a pretty good job of that. I just find sand sifters entertaining and would like to have one in my tank. I realize 6 fish is a lot for a 46G.

I like the diamond goby suggestion but the one at my LFS is about 3" long which is bigger than I'd like. I was wondering if there are any sand sifters that max out at about 2"?

kevin2000
07/14/2007, 03:17 PM
All fish will grow and even your damsel will get to be the size of a small trout. No offense intended but new aquarist like to overstock which create stress problems as well as water quality/algae issues. In my estimation you should be considering which fish to get rid of rather than what fish to add.

PeterC2508
07/14/2007, 03:27 PM
i had success with a yellow head sleeper goby

mh6i
07/15/2007, 10:33 AM
kevin2000: The four-stripe damsel is #1 on my list of fish to get rid of. If he dies he won't be replaced. He was just an unfortunate carryover from my previous tank. I just haven't found a way to get rid of him yet. I'd be happy to donate him or give him back to my LFS, but I don't think the store wants a four year old $3 fish back. Any suggestions?

Sk8r
07/15/2007, 10:38 AM
I'd recommend the yellow watchman: a debris-sifter doesn't actually increase bioload that much, except by his respiration. Algae eaters and debris-eaters and other cleaners are part of your cleaning crew, essentially, and at 2 + inches, fully grown, they do exactly what you want, no great aggression, just bluster, no massive sandshifting, but a bit, and quite colorful and personable.

A big display tank coul dhandle your damsel. Keep trying. You might even ask your zoo. I've sent a couple of fish on to zoos, when they got outrageously large.