PDA

View Full Version : The "Stock"

Silverfin
07/14/2007, 01:34 AM
Well,
My Dad and I almost have my 65gal all set up and ready to go. I was wondering if I could have these fish together in a community tank. Thanks for any advise or opinions!

*Yellow Chocolate Mimic Tang
*[maybe male/female pair] Australian Black Ocellaris Clownfish
*[My Dads] Hippo Tang
*Big Long-nose Butterflyfish
*Dragon Goby
*Green Mandarin Goby
*Half-black Pygmy or Midnight Pygmy Angel
*Long-nose Hawkfish
*Chevron Tang
*2 Yellow-Tailed Damsels

"Check---the---ticket---Stupid!" ---Line from The Family Man

Argon:
n. Symbol Ar
A colorless, odorless, inert gaseous element constituting approximately one percent of Earth's atmosphere, from which it is commercially obtained by fractionation for use in electric light bulbs, fluorescent tubes, and radio vacuum tubes and as an inert gas shield in arc welding. Atomic number 18; atomic weight 39.948; melting point -189.3°C; boiling point -185.9°C.

darkcirca
07/14/2007, 07:59 AM
That's a lot of fish going into a 65, and even with that a tang (especially 3) won't be too thrilled. A hippo tang would be a no-no, as they grow huge. Tangs grow big fast too, if fed correctly. Green mandarin's need established tanks as they are picky eaters, only eatings pods. I only have one in my tank as I managed to find a freeze dried/frozen food eater.
Damsels are aggressive as well. I'm sure someone else can chime in and have some more things to say.

When I had my 56 gallon I had 2 false percs, a firefish, a diamond goby, and a yellow tang. We only had the tank for a few months and we upgraded to a 90 to suit the yellow tang.

sixspeed
07/14/2007, 10:21 AM
That is ridiculous stocking list, first off the hippo tang will out grow your tank in about 6 months, and the nyou have 11 fish going into the tank including 3 tangs, and a mandarin. I would try to to cut the fishlist down by 4-5 fish, especially the tangs. If you want to add the mandarin i would wait at least 6 months after the tank has been setup so that you have ample pods for the little fella.

JM68
07/14/2007, 11:37 AM
Take all the tangs off the list and maybe the butterfly and then the list will be ok. A hippo tang shouldnt go in a tank smaller than 120g imo and should be in something even larger. That goes for most tangs because most get large and swim constantly. Especially if its a reef tank because 65g isnt that big to begin with and after all the rock is in there will be very little open swimming room.

Silverfin
07/14/2007, 04:39 PM
Yeah....
I was thinking about that list of fish the whole day, and you guys are right.....I can only have one tang, and I am not going to buy the Butterflyfish. I already realize that I must let my tank cycle for a while before I get a Mandarin. Would it still be alright to buy a Long-nose Hawkfish?

I guess I really went crazy with the stocking list : /

Here's the new list:

1 Chocolate Mimic Tang
1-2 Black Australian Ocellaris Clownfish
1 Dragon Goby
1 Green Mandarin Goby (maybe)
1 Long-nose Hawkfish
1 Midnight Angel

Still deciding on what type of Damsel I should get. Im only getting one because I need a starter fish and they're cheap.

I am my Father's Daughter.....reef wise......

"The only thing we have to fear.....is fear itself."
"Yesterday, December 7th, 1941, a date which will live in..... infamy...."---Franklin D. Roosevelt
1894, from Gk. argon, neut. of Argos "idle," from a- "without" + ergon "work" (see urge (v.)).
a soft silver-white univalent element of the alkali metal group; the lightest metal known
Silver-white metallic element, 1818, coined in Model. by Swede. chemist Jöns Jacob Berzelius (1779-1848) from Gk. lithos "stone," from its mineral origin and to distinguish it from two previously known alkalis of vegetable origin.

zemuron114
07/14/2007, 04:52 PM
skip the damsel, and introduce the clowns first. they will cycle the tang well and wont pester new fish. I would highly suggest the chevron over the mimic. More color, more peaceful, and dont grow as big (and slow growers) a juvie at about 2-3" would be great for a while in a 65. chevrons aren't open water swimmers compared to most other tangs.

Silverfin
07/14/2007, 04:54 PM
Thanx for the help! :D

AquaKnight
07/14/2007, 04:58 PM
The tank has to more then "cycle" for the mandrian, it has to mature, as mentioned, at least 6 months. With a 65, it would have to have a fuge attached as well.

And yea, don't make the damsel mistake (I did). Let the cycle properly without wanting to cut it short and introduce one of the fish you wanted.

darkcirca
07/14/2007, 05:11 PM
Don't cycle with fish. I had all my liverock and livesand in the tank and added pure ammonia to the tank, a few drops every day. Over 3 weeks it finally ate the entire amount I put in during the day.

danfrith
07/14/2007, 06:19 PM
Your revised list looks good. I also agree that a chevron or tomini tang would be more interesting than a mimic. Good luck.