PDA

View Full Version : Cow fish with white spot

PoriferaBob
07/15/2007, 08:32 AM
Hey all! Two days ago I bought my first Long horn Cow fish!! He is about 2 and a half to 3 inches from front horn to back. He is in an oceanic 110 gallon reef ready. Right now he is the only fish I have in my tank. I wanted to add him first as this was recommended to me. That being said, Im worried by a few white dots appearing on his fins. They seem to be multiplying slowly. Now I know copper is the best way to treat for this but Im not sure I want to do that just yet because If I do I certainly what to do a hospital tank. Since he is the only fish in such a large tank and Im running a 25 watt uv sterilizer in line should I just let him be.
So far he is eating fine and not showing any signs of stress, just the little white dots which I can only see on his fins, non on his body that I can find.

kevin2000
07/16/2007, 05:15 PM
I suggest reading the ichy sticky threads at the top of this forum.

wooden_reefer
07/16/2007, 09:50 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=10343611#post10343611 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by PoriferaBob
Hey all! Two days ago I bought my first Long horn Cow fish!! He is about 2 and a half to 3 inches from front horn to back. He is in an oceanic 110 gallon reef ready. Right now he is the only fish I have in my tank. I wanted to add him first as this was recommended to me. That being said, Im worried by a few white dots appearing on his fins. They seem to be multiplying slowly. Now I know copper is the best way to treat for this but Im not sure I want to do that just yet because If I do I certainly what to do a hospital tank. Since he is the only fish in such a large tank and Im running a 25 watt uv sterilizer in line should I just let him be.
So far he is eating fine and not showing any signs of stress, just the little white dots which I can only see on his fins, non on his body that I can find.

25 watt UV may have only marginal effectiveness against ich (if it is ich) in a 100 gal system. All it might do is to slow the infestation but is unlikely to rid your tank of ich.