PDA

View Full Version : T5 Bulb Combos???

24gnanonewbie
07/15/2007, 04:19 PM
Here is a list of bulbs that I currently have. I am new to T5's, so I need your help.

I would like to get between a 14000k to a 20000k look.

Please let me know what combo I should run, utilizing my current bulbs... Or if I need to by a bulb or two...

1 - Unknow - 0607

2 - UV Lighting Company - Actinic White

3 - Giesmann - actinic +

1 - UV lighting company - super actinic

1 - D&D - aquablue +

1 - D&D - mid day 6000k

1 - D&D - pure actinic

Thanks in advance!!!

24gnanonewbie
07/16/2007, 02:40 PM
Bump... any help would be greatly appreciated!

Im a newbie when it comes to T5's.

DarG
07/16/2007, 03:16 PM
How many bulbs?

Assuming 4 ...

I run two pure actinics with two ATI Blue Plus along with 2 halides. The T5's alone are very very blue, too blue for primary lighting. But great for dusk - dawn and halide supplementation.

Removing one Blue Plus and replacing with an aquablue special (aquablue +) changes the entire look to a beautiful white with heavy blue/actinic. May be what you are looking for but may not be enough light because the pure actinics dont have alot of par.
Worth a try though.

So, if you have 4 bulbs, try:

1 UVL Super Actinic
1 D&D/Giesemann Pure actinic
1 D&D Giesemann Actinic Plus
1 D&D/Giesemann Aquablue +

For more par change 1 of the pure actinic or super actinic for an ATI Blue + (or a second Giesemann Actinic Plus, the ATI has better par). This would give you 3 bulbs with good to very good par. Just the one pure actnic would be a lower par bulb. But, it will also be more blue than actinic/blue.

So:

1 UVL Super Actinic
1 ATI Blue + (or D&D/Giesemann Actinic Plus)
1 D&D Giesemann Actinic Plus
1 D&D/Giesemann Aquablue +

By the way, the UVL super actinics have the highest par of the pure actinic bulbs compared to the Giesemann and ATI.
Most people would probably advise you to throw in a full spectrum or atleast a daylight for one of the blues (actinic plus or blue plus) for more par. I'm not sure that will give you the blue you want considering you seem to be wanting something that pretty blue (20000K). But also worth a try. You could actually just replace one of either the Blue Plus or Actinic Plus bulbs with your actinic white or 6000K lamps.

If you have less than or more than 4 bulbs .... I had nothing to do anyway :D

24gnanonewbie
07/16/2007, 03:37 PM
I am running 4 bulbs on a 660 IC. I dont have the room to run MH, and I would like to keep some sps in my tank. I will be staying away from the HIGH light corals...

I want bluer(14k'ish +) but I want to be able to keep good corals.

What do you think knowing that now?

DarG
07/16/2007, 03:45 PM
I think that my first or second list will give you what you want and probably enough output seeing how you are overdriving the lamps. You have the bulbs to try the first one so give it a shot and see if it's blue enough, and looks bright enough. The second list will be bluer but also give some more output because the blue bulb has more par than the super actinic.

Try it, you have the bulbs.

If it's too blue, just use your actnic white to replace a pure actinic (in the first list) or one of the blues (blue + or actinic plus) in the second list.

What size tank is this for and how deep? I'm still assuming some things here.

The Grim Reefer
07/16/2007, 04:26 PM
I'd do a super actinic, Aquablue, Midday and actinic plus. Should look fairly blue and have good PAR

24gnanonewbie
07/16/2007, 05:14 PM
Thanks DarG for your knowledge!

Also, thanks Grim for check this out on my request! I have come to respect your T5 knowledge.