PDA

View Full Version : Something killing my fish??

danmc00
07/15/2007, 05:45 PM
SETUP:
24 gallon Aqua Pod (setup since Feb 07)
removed all stock media, added ChemiPure Elite, Purigen, and filter floss in 2nd chamber , and LR rubble in 1st chamber.
I also have a MJ900 for each chamber.

I have had many fish either come up missing or dead. My last two casualties were a set of occ. clowns. One all of the sudden looked and acted sick and died and the other ended up in the grasp of my emerald crab. I have had 3 clown fish and 1 royal gramma end up dead or missing. My yellow watchman goby has been in the tank since the beginning and I have never had a problem with it.

At first I thought it could be a mantis shrimp. So I took all of my rock out and did the fresh water dip and the baking soda dip. I came up with nothing there.

All my water tests come back fine.

Only other inhabitants are:
3 blue legged hermit crabs
2 red legged hermit crabs
6 misc snails
1 emerald crab
1 sand sifting star fish

What could be causing this.

sir_dudeguy
07/15/2007, 05:56 PM
well you said the emerald got one...he could have gotten the others. I'd say specially since some you didnt even find...

wilcalil
07/16/2007, 12:27 AM
I would bet on the Crab.

Another possible cause, copper poisoning? something made of copper near the water?

jhull
07/16/2007, 08:39 AM
I'm not to sure thats its the crab, He most likely started feeding after your fish die. Its not copper as it would wipe out youe inverts before your fish. If all you water params are good you want to look at your supplier. I know in the past I have seen many issues with wild caught clowns. I have seen my lfs get in 100+ and only 10 or 20 survive a week. I have purchased captive breed clowns and have always been happy with the results. You may want to have your water tested at you lfs just to confirm your results.

DarkXerox
07/16/2007, 11:53 AM
you say all your water tests come out fine, can you post what you came up with? Also it can't be copper poisoning if you're keeping invertebrates alive, they would have died first.

I agree with the captive bred point. They always seem to be the healthiest and eat a much larger variety of food. But post up your test results and tell us what kind of kit you're using.