PDA

View Full Version : Filter Dilema (Failure of main filter)

ArgonDreams
07/15/2007, 11:56 PM
I have been using a combination of filtration on my system:

29 Gallon Perfecto

35 lbs Live Rock
60 lbs Live Sand

Penguin 100 (QT Filter I keep on the back for the QT when using it)
Aquaclear 50 (Nothing but Cheato and pods in it)
Coralife Super Skimmer 65
Eheim ECCO 80 Gallon Canister

Today the Eheim Failed, it's about 4 months old. When Priming it, it's handle broke dramatically not allowing me to seal the canister. The canister has 1 tray with Effistrat, 1 with Carbon, 1 w/Purigen.

Well, I am stuck, I can't find the dang receipt and I can't seem to contact them for service. So I am in the market for new filtration.

This whole thing might be a blessing in disguise. I feel my Liverock, Skimmer, Penguin 100 will limp me along until I figure the situation out. However, I had just cured the last baffle in my DIY Refugium I was setting up from an extra 10 gallon tank. Now... Overflow boxes.

I can get a CPR CS 50 for $63.29 through some connections. However I have heard that a non-U-tube overflow will work ok but eventually will fail and flood.

I saw LifeReef's Overflow box and everyone seems to rave about them, but at $119.00 +s/h that is breaking my budget at a bad budget time.

I also saw Eshopps Pf300 for $34.99 +s/h. Both are Utube overflows that look very similar in style.

I am wondering why the huge price difference between the two? I get it that Lifereef has a great reputation, but all things being equal why would Lifereef's Utube and Eshopps be so very different for something with the same parts?

Finally, I can replace the Canister for around $70ish. Which is looking attractive. For the money I am likely to try the Eshopps due to pricing and possibly ignorance. If I go for the Lifereef and it doesn't work I am out a lot, if I go Eshopps, I am out a little.

Thoughts?

theatrus
07/16/2007, 12:39 AM
I've bought an eBay Lifereef clone (and still using it until the 90g comes up) by the name of Hurricane Filter, which has worked well. The acrylic on the boxes is super thin, but no failures yet (2 years). It is also a U-tube style overflow (the U is fine in terms of quality :))

treesprite
07/16/2007, 02:19 AM
i think a great percentage of people dont use traditional filters. A good protien skimmer and a nice size refugium will do the job.