PDA

View Full Version : Anemone in FOWLR setup-possible?

han012
07/16/2007, 09:12 AM
I'm cycling a 55 gallon FOWLR setup & i plan on keeping 2 clownfish+host anemone+1-2 other fish+janitor inverts. Here's a list of my setup:

55 AGA
Prizm Protein Skimmer
55 lbs LR
60 lbs LS
Emperor 400 Power Filter (i took out the bio-wheel so it won't mess w/ the LR)

With this setup, is it possible to have a bubble tip anemone for my future clown fish?

I know i SHOULD have a sump system plus a better protein skimmer but i'm on a budget.

Feedback & advice will be very helpful!

han012
07/16/2007, 09:17 AM
SORRY! forgot to add that i have a VHO lighting system with about 250 watts

Poorcollegereef
07/16/2007, 01:05 PM
Welcome to RC,

yes, but I would treat it not as a FOWLR as far as watrer quality is concerned, keep it a bit cleaner. In addition, while I think a BTA would do well, be extremely careful,with the intakes of the filters and skimmer... anemones like to"turn themselves into soup" when they have the chance.

Also, the prizm is not a very efficent skimmer (if at all) so you are going to have to keep up with water changes a bit more than other tanks with better skimming
... but you low fish stocking will help keeping your nutrients low.
Sometimes a cheap skimmer is the most expensive skimmer there is! I know it sounds tough, and I tried to use cheap skimmers but buying a good-quality skimmer was the best purchase I have made yet.

Finally, make sure the tank is well established, and not just cycled. I say wait until coraline algae is the size of a dime on the back of the glass before adding inverts.

Secondly, anemones can be tricky and clowns will host in other corals and even fake anemones, but even sometimes clowns will also refuse to host in anemones, atleast for a time.

I hope this helps.