PDA

View Full Version : (1st Post) Something killing Inverts!

SoFloReefer
07/16/2007, 09:52 AM
First I want to say that after spending sometime on other saltwater boards that this one blows them all out of the water!
My 46 gallon bow front has been set up for about 4 months and has been doing really well mainly because I started it with fully cured rock and 60 lbs live sand. My amm and nit levels have been around 0 from day 1. Here is a list of what equipment Im running.
Emperor 400 filter
AquaC remora
3 powerheads with 15x turnover (with overflow its 22x)
156 watts T5
150 watt heater
Stock
80 lbs LR
60 lbs LS
2x clowns
2x blue chromis
2x pink tip anemones
red gorgonian
5x blue leg hermits
3x emerald crabs
decorator crab
brittle star
6x shaving brush plants
lots of snails

My problem this week is that something is stressing the animals out that I'm not testing for. All my levels are in line and steady- SG 1.025, temp 76-78, Amm, Nitrate, Nitrate, Phos all test 0 w/ API tests, Calcium 400, Salinity 8 dKH, pH 8.4. First my Coral Banded pair died over night (four days ago). My little blue Chromis has the first case of Ich my tank has seen (three days ago developed). Today my Anemone crab died. I think my Larger Chromis is stressing out the smaller one and cause the Ich. He is always after him. I can't figure out what is killing the Inverts though. I did have a Sand sifter Cucumber (black and white) which I haven't seen in two weeks which I have written off as dead. Could he be releasing toxins into the water? Also my red gorgonian has been losing some tissue. Could this be releasing toxins? I've been doing large water changes trying to keep my tank from crashing which seems to be helping. I very close to adding a powerful UV sterilizer to nuke the water but I want to add fish that live of Copepods so Im holding back. Thanks
http://i39.photobucket.com/albums/e179/Frankwhite07/DSCF0376.jpg

Albright
07/16/2007, 10:00 AM
You said you used fully cured rock & sand. Where did you get this from?

Was all of the equipment new or used?

Have you tested for copper?

SoFloReefer
07/16/2007, 10:10 AM
All the equipment is new. The sand was bagged in 20 pnd bags (I think it was called Caribsea). 1st 20 pnds of rock came from good LFS. 2nd 20 pnds came from kid in Miami with tank (I guess could have copper but he has money and seems knowledgeable so I doubt he would put copper in DT like idiot). Last 40 lbs came from large Ebay distributor who happens to be local. He has very good feedback and the rock was very nice so I highly doubt it would have copper. I am going to test for it today though.

SoFloReefer
07/16/2007, 10:15 AM
I was just thinking that the Coral Banded shrimp were really doing well until four days ago. Before I went to sleep I noticed One was trying to jump out of the water. I have never seen this behavior so I ignored it. Next morning both were dead and anemone crab looked bad. This was several weeks after all my rock was added so I don't think that is the problem Unless it all of a sudden leached out all this copper in less than a day. I am still going to test for it though.

SoFloReefer
07/16/2007, 02:52 PM
I just saw my Cucumber for the first time today in a while and its not dead.

flfirefighter13
07/16/2007, 03:11 PM
sounds like something funky for sure, test with a second set of kits or take the water to a lfs to confirm the test are good. Water change and run carbon. Ive never done it put ive heard purapads work pretty good for pulling cooper out if you do have it somehow. when in doubt h20 change has gotten me through a lot of little issues.

SoFloReefer
07/16/2007, 03:22 PM
I started running Carbon now in my powerfilter so Ill see what happens. I took a water sample by my LFS and they tested it and confirmed that my tests were right on.

Frick-n-Frags
07/16/2007, 05:04 PM
All the snails are OK?
how about the other crabs?

trying to get a feel for the range of stressed/dying animal types.

so far it only seems like selective shrimp/crabs right?. I would say a general heavy metal poisoning would have the mithrax and hermits wigging too.

interesting.

SoFloReefer
07/16/2007, 09:48 PM
The Snails are fine. My decorator and three emaralds are fine. My brittle star is fine. Hermits are good. Decorator is good. I can't figure it out for my life. I still need to test for copper but I dont think thats it. My anemones look really good too.

AquaReeferMan
07/17/2007, 12:14 AM
Are you sure its not the decorator crab? They are nocturnal and known for hunting down other inverts. Since they hunt at night and youre losing things at night I think it might be that. I used to have one in my sump and it would kill any snails or hermits I put in their. They get very mean. I cant believe no one said anything about it yet.

SoFloReefer
07/17/2007, 07:54 AM
One of the shrimp was missing a claw and both were missing some legs so it could be a possibility but the way my inverts were acting strange before they died makes me think it was something in the water.