PDA

View Full Version : New Sump

Szwalla
07/16/2007, 10:23 AM
I noticed this morning that one of the two overflows was not sucking in nearly as much water as the other one. Went to the doctor, when I came back I had water on the floor.
Do you know what could of caused this?

Thanks,
Mike

nwrogers
07/16/2007, 10:39 AM
Is there a large air bubble in the part of the overflow where the water goes over the back of the tank? A large air bubble there could cause the overflow to pull less water. The other thing I thought of was the airline tubing coming from the siphon hole. Is that still fully submerged? I would check those two things. If you think it is the first problem you need to pull that airline tubing out of the overflow and suck the air out. Try to keep your thumb over the tubing to not allow more air into the overflow. Good luck…

Aquarist007
07/16/2007, 11:03 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=10349778#post10349778 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Szwalla
I noticed this morning that one of the two overflows was not sucking in nearly as much water as the other one. Went to the doctor, when I came back I had water on the floor.
Do you know what could of caused this?

Thanks,
Mike

hard to tell with this much info--dry the water up as much as possible and see if you can determine if it is coming from tank or sumpp

fatrip
07/16/2007, 11:06 AM
did you start adding your kalk yet? if so how many gallons? is the water coming from the tank or the sump??? is your water line in your sump above the sharpy markings?

Szwalla
07/16/2007, 12:25 PM
right now it looks good. Looks like the water was having problems keeping up with the pump. Like the water was not coming in fast enough.
I know that in a few minutes...I will order those little pumps but I cannot remember if Nate said I should buy something else too.
As for the Kalk...the doser seems to keep leaking from the compression nut.

fatrip
07/16/2007, 12:29 PM
yea i had that problem too....what i did was took the compression nut off, scraped up the out side of the whole with sand paper and the siliconed it back to gether...wait atleast 24 to 48 hours for it to cure...it hasnt leaked on me since...

nwrogers
07/16/2007, 12:35 PM
Get two of each...

http://www.premiumaquatics.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=M3-AQUALIFTERPUMP&Category_Code=

http://www.premiumaquatics.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=M3-AQUA-PRE&Category_Code=

Szwalla
07/16/2007, 01:28 PM
Thanks. I am going to order them right now.

Szwalla
07/16/2007, 01:55 PM
Vince,

Are you talking about the hole that the elbow goes into. I am a slow but it almost looks like it is coming out of the nut (and I have made sure the sucker was tight).

fatrip
07/16/2007, 02:05 PM
if it is coming out of the clear nut, unscrew it and put some teflon tape on it, that will stop it from leaking...

Szwalla
07/16/2007, 02:16 PM
I tried the tape...I am going to try again....listen and laugh...so I notice it leaking. I set it on its side. To tighten or whatever...not even remembering that I had the vent open....went from a few drops to puddle quickly.
The leak was roughly 3 per 10 seconds...I just placed it over the sump. Eventually it stopped dripping

fatrip
07/16/2007, 02:25 PM
if the tape doesnt work try some silicone...Nate would tell you to take i back because he doesnt believe in the use of silicone but it works great if you let it cure for 24 to 48 hours....:lol:

Szwalla
07/16/2007, 02:27 PM
Is it at Walmart? Only place open when I get out later.

fatrip
07/16/2007, 02:29 PM
umm i think so it is 100% clear window sealent 1 silicone,read on the bottel not to get the one with the mold killer in it. it is made by GE...

nwrogers
07/16/2007, 02:48 PM
What clear nut are you guys talking about?

Szwalla
07/16/2007, 03:27 PM
I ordered three of those pumps...maybe the third can be used for the topoff?

fatrip
07/16/2007, 06:40 PM
well nate if you would have bought yours instead of making it you would know....:lol: j/k... it holds the i think 3/8 inch tubing to the 90 elbow..

nwrogers
07/16/2007, 06:53 PM
Oh so it was the kalk that was leaking not the sump. Right?

fatrip
07/16/2007, 06:55 PM
come nate get with the program...:lol:....had to you left your self open for that one

Szwalla
07/16/2007, 07:20 PM
Nate,

This is what I saw this morning around 11 or so. A whole lot of little bubbles all through the tank...I could see a little stream of water coming over the front edge of the tank...I opened up underneath and noticed that the skimmer side of the sump was full of water but water level on the pump side was only about an inch above the pump. I immediately shutdown the system...and because the water level was so high...it went over the edge of the sump...that is my uneducated guess.
***One good thing out of all this...everytime I have a mishap...the towels from the previous spill are in the dryer.

nwrogers
07/16/2007, 08:22 PM
If the water is going over the edge of the sump you need to find a way to break the back siphon from the two return lines sooner. Try replacing the 90 degree PVC elbows that we put on the end of your two return lines with the 90 degree street elbows that I originally had on there. That should make a big difference...

Szwalla
07/16/2007, 08:51 PM
Nate, do you think the pumps I ordered will keep that overflow running faster?

nwrogers
07/16/2007, 08:57 PM
maybe...

hard to say because I have never actually used that pump with that overflow but I guess I would have to say maybe :)

Sorry I can’t be more helpful on this one :(

Szwalla
07/16/2007, 09:09 PM
What are you, running for office? j/k

nwrogers
07/16/2007, 09:20 PM
Haha, yes. But if I was going to be a good politician I would have to say yes on this thread and then find another thread some where else with the same question and say no. That way I could exercise my American right to be a waffle. Or even better I could get campaign money from Tom Aquatics and say yes even if they are known to be junk! (Which in this case they are not) :D

Szwalla
07/19/2007, 05:51 PM
Nate, my wife called and said the pump/prefilters arrived along with the phosbuster.
Any advice before I hook those suckers up and dose the other item.

nwrogers
07/20/2007, 06:38 AM
Yes for the aqualifter pumps they are not clearly marked so you will have to hook up some ¼” OD tubing and see which one is the input and which is the output. Once you know which is which I would mark it with arrows is a sharpie marker. Then turn off your sumps pump and use the ¼” OD tubing to hook up the aqualifters input to the siphon hole on the top of your overflow. Take the output of the aqualifter and put it down in the back of the overflow somewhere so it is submerged in water. Plug the aqualifter pumps into the same powerstrip as your sumps pump so that way when you turn off your main pump the aqualifter pumps turn off too. Then start it back up and behold the magic!

As for the phos-buster pro just follow the directions on the bottle. There is no special trick to that stuff. It just works and it works well!