PDA

View Full Version : How To Set Up A Frag Trough

hotreefbabe
07/16/2007, 07:13 PM
Id like to use one of these for a prop. tank:
http://www.aquaticeco.com/index.cfm/fuseaction/product.detail/iid/3449/cid/1032

Any advice on 1)what to use as a cost effective sump/fuge, 2) What size Skimmer and brands would be best, 3) What size pump and plumbing for the return?

Is anyone using something like this for a prop. tank? If so, how is it plumb, what equipment are you using and how is it working for you? I'd like details and pictures or if there is a thread I have missed some where that could help me I'd like links to that.

I am just starting out and would like lots of help. This prop tank will be set up in my garage with lots of room.

Kristin

TIMMYE
07/19/2007, 12:34 PM
A couple of issues I see is heat durring the summer. Will you runa chiller. What are you going to be growing? That will determine your setup as far as flow inside the tank and skimmer and other equipment will depend on your total volume for water. For your sump you could use a 100 gallon tank or water trough from a farm store. For your first set up, you might want to start with something a little smaller and eaise to manage till you get hang of it. IMHO

erics3000
07/20/2007, 01:31 AM
Heat is major concern. You would most likely need to at least insulate your garage door and put an ac in the garage. You just want to becarefull with your tolls rusting. Is there not a little spot you can put it in your house?

You can get a big rumbermaid for a sump. Find a decent pump for the return and put a few maxi jet with the mods. You can get away with 150 w metal halide at that depth. I got my first skimmer off ebay and still use it on my 150 with some mods.

Sounds like fun..Good luck..

hotreefbabe
07/20/2007, 11:32 AM
For now I only want to have Soft corals such as Mushrooms and Zoas and will be using PC or T5s.
I plan on using a chiller and I also have a swampcooler that I have set up in my garage that keeps the garage very cool. Being that I live in the CA desert heat was my very first concern.
I dont plan on getting it started til Fall anyways, so heat wont be an issue until next summer.

What I really need help on is plumbing, I am just getting into the DIY projects and find plumbing confussing until I have seen it done or have it explained better. Like how to make an over flow on the Trough and what size PVC to use...what SIZE return pump.

How large of a skimmer would I need if I used 2 50 gal Rubermaids(one for sump and one for Fuge) with the Trough?

Thank you for your replies!

GTR
07/20/2007, 12:10 PM
I think with what you want to grow at this point you'll be fine with that shape.
But I can tell you from experience it's difficult to deliver random flow throughout a tank with those proportions. Think raceway, water running from one end to the other. To get good random flow you will need a load of returns on each side, not end.

SteveU

hotreefbabe
07/20/2007, 03:20 PM
Thank...Overflows on sides...good idea..thank you thank you!
I am going to be fragging in my current 60gal until fall...when the trough I hope will be running.

hotreefbabe
07/20/2007, 03:21 PM
Oh and what would be a better pump than Maxi Jet?...I have had bad luck with those.

Bebo77
07/21/2007, 11:57 AM
hey Kristin..

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1166392