PDA

View Full Version : Who runs Activated Carbon???

jpeggerling
07/16/2007, 08:45 PM
I have a 20 gallon AGA with a 10 gallon fuge. I have been thinking about running cabon in my tank. Who else is running carbon? If so are you using a canister filter or just a filter sock? And also have you noticed any difference since you start using it?

drummereef
07/16/2007, 10:02 PM
I run Marineland Black Diamond carbon 24/7 in a small Aquaclear hang-on filter. I change it out monthly. You can put it in a media bag and throw it in a high flow area of your 10g sump/fuge. Carbon is a staple of my tank. ;)

silver17jo
07/16/2007, 10:03 PM
From what I understand carbon should be used when you are purifying the water from an agent. I am sure there are some carbon filters which can be run all the time. Why the sudden interest in carbon?

drummereef
07/16/2007, 10:14 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=10354565#post10354565 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by silver17jo
From what I understand carbon should be used when you are purifying the water from an agent. I am sure there are some carbon filters which can be run all the time. Why the sudden interest in carbon?

Whaa? Carbon is used to reduce organic compounds and for general water polishing. It is widely used in reef aquaria and completely safe.

Echidna09
07/17/2007, 01:01 AM
I've seen a few people that don't like carbon because it takes out some trace elements. 90% percent of reefers use it to help keep water clear and take out dissolved organics and other poisons from the water.

ct_vol
07/17/2007, 05:00 AM
I only use it on my smaller systems... Less than 30 gallons...

cloak
07/17/2007, 10:49 AM
Don't use it. Not even on my freshwater cichlid tanks. Don't see it doing anything that regular water changes can't take care of.

Serioussnaps
07/17/2007, 11:07 AM
The efficacy of carbon is far overestimated FWIW. Almost all Activated Carbon that we use in marine ornamental keeping is exhausted within a day or 2 if not even hours of its initial usage. For this reason I run it for 2 days then pull it out. I do this every 10 days or so on my system. It really clarifies the water. Sort of a poor man's ozone. Another thing about carbon is many can and do leach phosphates into the water column. It is extremely important to use an appropriate brand and this is also another reason for pulling it out after a couple of days. Its main purpose is to bind DOC's(dissolved organic carbon) and remove phenols or yellowing compounds.....this is aquatic industry lingo really but that is its main purpose. Other issues to be concerned with is a large amount of light change particularly if you have very yellow water..you can bleach alot of organisms. If you already have clear water then this may not be of concern, but every system is different. In most cases you shouldnt worry about its use..it is extremely safe.

Whats your bioload like?

seapug
07/17/2007, 11:39 AM
I've always used Chemi Pure bags in my tanks. I keep 2 in the sump of my 90 all the time and change them out every couple of months. I think it really helps maintain water clarity.

Justin74
07/17/2007, 12:54 PM
After doing some research myself on the matter, I pretty much subscribe to the same philosophy as Serioussnaps, in regards to the efficiency of the media.

I think the real question should be 'who out there doesnt use carbon?'

If a scoop of carbon that costs me less than $1 can clarify and help detoxify why spend $5-10 on a waterchange to just clarify? As far as elements in a healthy reef we should be just typically adding calcium, alkalinity and magnesium right? The rest is for organic removal and clarity. So if these things are being added, along with clarifying the water with carbon...Why are we changing water again???;)

Trace elements right? Which ones? ;) And how much are you actually replenishing and at what rate will your tank consume these elements?

Basically carbon use will extend the life of your water and over all tank health provided you are supplementing accordingly :)

-Justin

Hypertek99
07/17/2007, 01:20 PM
I use it with a hang on back filter. I change it out every month too. Been using it for 7 years now.

MeuserReef
07/17/2007, 08:33 PM
Carbon here!

Serioussnaps
07/17/2007, 09:29 PM
There are "HR(high retention carbons)" out there. I have never seen them in person, much less used one, but you may be able to run something like this for a longer period of time but I would assume it is pricey.

Ill give a bump for Boyd's chemi pure as well. For those lazy folks, or those that dont need much(say a 30g that the thread starter is referring to) they make a carbon that has GFO in it too...great little gimick and if i had a nano I would consider it.

32flavors
07/18/2007, 12:14 AM
Carbon absolutely is beneficial, and it's not just anecdotal evidence to suggest that it should only be in the system for a few days. Kent's Reef Carbon, which I like A LOT BETTER than any other I've tried (and I've been using it for 7+ years) states in the directions to remove after 3-4 days. This is because DOC's clog up its "pores" quickly, but as a medium, it can still continue to soak up trace elements, which we don't want. Since we can't have water that's too clean, I recommend using carbon on a monthly basis or more often if warranted as long as it's pulled after 4 days max. A side note, my water has continued to test zero phosphates in the last 4 years since I switched to R/O, while using Kent's Reef Carbon.

reeffreak1
07/18/2007, 07:30 AM
Do most people who use carbon put it in a bag and lay it in a high flow area, or are you using a canister similar to a Phosban reactor to put the carbon into?

32flavors
07/18/2007, 07:50 AM
I use it in a bag, but now that you mention it... if you have a phos reactor and no phos to worry about, it might not be a bad idea to run carb in the reactor. Although, perhaps maybe not... as carbon works by absorbing DOC's into its pores, whereas phos media bond to phos in water column. Bonding is more efficient with maximized surface exposure, whereas carbon 'sponging up' the DOC's might perform better in a more concentrated pass through, like a bag in a high filter flow....

I'll check with my guy--my boss, a proverbial bottomless pit of aquaria knowledge--and maybe everyone else could weigh in on this...

If you want to play it safe, run it in a bag in a high flow spot, and remove after 4 days max.

reeffreak1
07/18/2007, 08:16 AM
It would seem to me that by placing it in a reactor type of chamber, you're creating a nitrate factory, since the filter at the inlet would be collecting all the detritus in the water...and the carbon would be catching all the even littler stuff.

32flavors
07/18/2007, 08:44 AM
A. Your carbon should be placed (water drawn from) near the end of the sump, where the water is clean and hopefully detritus free.
B. You don't run it long enough to become a nitrate factory. If you do--you'll have other water quality issues as well. MUST REMOVE AFTER 4 DAYS. ;) At four days or less, it wouldn't be cycled enough to start producing trates.

reeffreak1
07/18/2007, 08:53 AM
Would you be able to put the carbon chamber on the output of the skimmer? With a valve to regulate flow into the chamber and and overflow to divert other water?

I'm attempting to set mine up and let gravity do most of the work.

sneeyatch
07/18/2007, 10:24 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=10363654#post10363654 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by reeffreak1
Would you be able to put the carbon chamber on the output of the skimmer? With a valve to regulate flow into the chamber and and overflow to divert other water?

I'm attempting to set mine up and let gravity do most of the work.

possibly, but a lot of skimmers (especially hang-ons) will back-feed on you. i change carbon once a week and place a bag inside the baffles of my octo hang-on skimmer. works well and doesn't cause any backfeeding.

GreyHawk1968
07/18/2007, 08:25 PM
I run a carbon that's used in water purification systems. It runs through a Phos Ban reactor and has done very well in the application. I change it out once a month and can tell a difference in my tank within days if I don't use it.
Carbon yes. Use a good name brand tho.