PDA

View Full Version : Black Cap Basslet

77railer
07/16/2007, 10:22 PM
I am purchasing a 75 Reef from a friend and he has a Black Cap Basslet in the tank. I have read conflicting views on the nature towards invertabrates. What is the general view?

Thanks
Lee & Linda

bertoni
07/16/2007, 10:23 PM
[welcome]

I haven't heard of them being a problem with invertebrates. What animals did you have in mind for the tank?

77railer
07/16/2007, 11:17 PM
Right now there is the basslet, a Six line wrasse, I think a Vlamingi Tang, and 3 peppermint shrimp. The algea in this tank is out of control "possibly due to a piece of razorblade in the substrate" and we will be using the rock, coral, and fish from this tank to put into our other 75 Gallon Reef that is waiting in the living room. We will be using new substrate in an attempt to contol the algea. Thanks for the quick reply.

bertoni
07/16/2007, 11:24 PM
The razorblade is not likely the problem. Replacing the substrate might help, though. The basslet should be fine in a reef tank, in my opinion.

Grins
07/16/2007, 11:27 PM
My reef guide book(Scott. Michael) says they are safe with inverts. Caution around shrimps.

psimitry
07/16/2007, 11:29 PM
I had read that they wouldn't necessarily be good in a reef due to their being a deepwater fish. The high lighting in reefs is no good (apparently) for them.

77railer
07/16/2007, 11:39 PM
I havent discussed it with the wife yet but we will probably be trading him in at the LFS for a cleaner crew. Once the tank gets established and we feel that its stable we will be moving in an atlantic blue tang that is currently in a 29g Reef at school. Thanks for all the replies.

Grins
07/16/2007, 11:43 PM
The atlantic blue will be happier with a bigger home but you might find yourself giving him another upgrade before long.