PDA

View Full Version : Calcium Reactor and Protein Skimmer Recommendation for a 450 gallon?

oxx155
07/17/2007, 12:04 AM
I am getting a 450 Gallon (120"X36"X24") acrylic reef tank for my next "adventure" and was wondering everyone's recommendations on
1. Calcium Reactor
2. Protein Skimmer
I don't have a whole lot of money and am interested in DIY if it is not too complicated and has full instructions on how to build.
But, please give me your honest suggestion even if costs a pretty penny.
Or is there anyone out there that does DIY at a reasonable price?
One last question - I have never handled or even seen someone handle a Calcium Reactor before - are there basic instructions on how to run one properly?

Thanks Everyone

tgreene
07/17/2007, 07:16 AM
I'm using an Octopus OCT-CR140D dual-chamber Ca reactor and a OCT-KR140 Kalk reactor on my 400g+ system, and would swear by them...

My skimmer is the Octopus FDNW-400 (serious overkill), but the DDNW-250 (dual-recirc needlewheel) would be ideal for a 400-450g system. Porting out the venturis will give it a lot more skimming power as well.

* Swearing by them, beats swearing AT them, which can often be the case with many reactors or skimmers! ;)

hemi18
07/17/2007, 08:15 AM
i would recommend buying a CA reactor. GEO has one for your size ssytem for about 375 or so..great reactors...i think that is the general thought for GEO CA reactors.

for the skimmer definately DIY. there are so many plans out there and ideas. you can make it very cheap too if you use materials liek PVC for your chamber. for a larger system i would recommend a fat recirc skimmer...DIY of course

Ziggy692
07/17/2007, 08:58 AM
oxx155, look up tinytool he has a friend that made his skimmer it like 4 foot tall itis cool i thank it has 70 gal of water in it.

WinnipegDragon
07/17/2007, 10:09 AM
How can you be starting a 400g+ tank without 'a lot of money'?

Just curious, because at $15-$25 per gallon for a low tech reef, that's about $8k...

tgreene
07/17/2007, 10:20 AM
I just setup an extremely hi-tech and fully automated Aquaculture system for roughly $5500, but I also custom designed and built a 4' x 8' plywood tank. Glass or Acrylic would have beeen stupidly expensive for what I was needing...

If I were not able to do it at wholesale (we're a biz), it would have easily cost me an additional $2000 minimum.

-Tim

oxx155
07/17/2007, 06:32 PM
but the DDNW-250 (dual-recirc needlewheel) would be ideal for a 400-450g system
I like the look of this one and it definitely seems reasonably priced and I think I have an Iwaki 30RLT or Iwaki 55RLT that could power it.
i would recommend buying a CA reactor
I am definitely to that point now, everyone has been recommending many different brands to me. Now, I just have to figure out how to run the thing properly and efficiently.
oxx155, look up tinytool
Thanks, I sent him an email
If anyone knows of anyone that builds Protein Skimmers or Calcium Reactors, please let me know.
How can you be starting a 400g+ tank without 'a lot of money'?
I have the money, I just don't want to spend a ton just because I can. I am doing research so that I spend my money wisely on the best product for my dollar. You can check out this thread where I list what I have spent so far http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1164590
Thanks tgreene. That is what I am talking about, people can build great tanks for a reasonable amount of money if they just do their research first and find the good deals
Thanks for the help

bergzy
07/17/2007, 07:44 PM
from reading this thread...

there is no competition for large system skimmers...the ONLY needlewheel skimmer i would consider using...since i am not a needlewheel fan for large systems.

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1123517

tgreene
07/17/2007, 08:21 PM
My modified Octopus FDNW-400 Quad-Recirc is easily good for up to 1600 gallons, and possibly even more, and I could buy a least 4 of the FDNW-400's for the price of 1 Volcano skimmer.

Don't get me wrong, I would absolutely love to have one, but that would eat up 3/4 of the cost of my entire system.

oxx155
07/18/2007, 05:18 PM
Update -
I am now purchasing a ASM G-6 that has been modified with 3 Sedra 9000's to be a recirculating protein skimmer. 4 ft. tall rated for up to 1200 gallons stocked, 1600 gallons otherwise. $450

Now I just need to work on the Calcium Reactor.

oxx155
07/18/2007, 05:46 PM
What does everyone think about this deal?
Geo Calcium Reactor 618 Reactor Package

Includes:

Geo 618 Reactor
Milwaukee MA957 CO2 Regulator
Milwaukee SMS122 PH Controller
10lb CO2 Tank
1 - 10lb container of GenX CRM
MaxiJet 1200 feed pump

Reg Price - 673.50
Package Price - 638.90

tgreene
07/18/2007, 06:08 PM
That's a great combo, but do yourself a huge favor and get a JBJ Bubble counter w/ an internal check valve.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ih=015&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWA%3AIT&viewitem=&item=250032959212&rd=1&rd=1

BTW: I just realized who you are... You made some custom climbing "sewn slings" for me several years back, about the same time I sold you the AATOC top off controller. ;)

-Tim

oxx155
07/18/2007, 08:09 PM
BTW: I just realized who you are... You made some custom climbing "sewn slings" for me several years back, about the same time I sold you the AATOC top off controller.
Yep, thats me, I am still open for trade with anyone (check out Strapworks.com for anyone that can't click my www).
If anyone has anything they think I might need and wants to trade.
How did those slings work out for you? I am still using the Top Off controller and its the best purchase ever. I may need use for another one if you have one.
That's a great combo, but do yourself a huge favor and get a JBJ Bubble counter w/ an internal check valve.
Thanks, I will check it out.

tgreene
07/18/2007, 08:24 PM
The slings were awesome for the intended use (super long runners), but due to an illness that hit last fall which causes frequent and spontaneous strokes and seizures, I'm not sure if I'll ever be able to climb again... At least not anytime in the near future. :(

I sold the company to ReefTek right after moving to New Orleans in early 2005, then was wiped out by Katrina just a few months later, which is why we are now in Arkansas...

If you want another controller, just contact Jorge at ReefTek -- www.reeftek.com

oxx155
07/19/2007, 12:01 AM
I am sorry you may not be able to climb again, that really sucks. My father just had an accident himself where he broke his leg pretty severly and won't be able to run ever again.
Thanks for the link, they make a lot more stuff than they used to.
Anyway, take care and definitely let me know if you ever need any straps for anything else (you never know what you may need a strap for).
Also, keep an eye out, by the end of August I will be starting a thread for the new tank.

tgreene
07/19/2007, 01:55 AM
You should check out our site, and hang out with us from time to time... ;)

hemi18
07/19/2007, 06:10 AM
you don't need a bubble counter with the GEO. use the one that comes with the reactor. i use a GEO CA reactor and only use that counter. no need to have one on the controller and one on the reactor......

RichConley
07/19/2007, 09:43 AM
The new Reeflo skimmer looks like a pretty decent deal, if you have $1000 to spend.

oxx155
07/19/2007, 06:29 PM
You should check out our site, and hang out with us from time to time...
I will get my butt over there and check it out
The new Reeflo skimmer looks like a pretty decent deal, if you have $1000 to spend.
Thanks, but I found an ASM G-6 for a 1200 gallon tank for $450
I really only need to find a good Calcium Reactor nowyou don't need a bubble counter with the GEO. use the one that comes with the reactor. i use a GEO CA reactor and only use that counter. no need to have one on the controller and one on the reactor
No need to, but is there a benefit to running the other one?

tgreene
07/19/2007, 06:45 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=10374774#post10374774 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by oxx155
No need to, but is there a benefit to running the other one?
ABSOLUTELY!

Both my ReefTek 6x18 single and my Octopus CR-140 dual Calcium reactors have built in bubble counters, but what they don't have is an internal stainless steel check valve that will protect the regulator solenoid from backflow.

To hell with the bubble counters, this is about the check valves, and If one is good, 2 is definately better! The JBJ only allows the CO2 to pass, whereas the check valves that come with reactors aren't so smart.

We've all seen how well the crappy inline check valves work (or don't), and some of us have even expierenced first hand whjat can happen when saltwater is able to back-flow and destroy a regulator... When Katrina hit, and we were unable to return for 30 days, a vapor lock in the CO2 tubing eventually created a back siphon, and the result was a DOA regulator.

With the JBJ in place, it acts as a last line of defense, and will prevent such problems from ever happening... Ever!

For me at least, it's a $20 security measure to prevent the potential destruction of a $150 regulator & solenoid.
-Tim