PDA

View Full Version : Geo 618 Ca Reactor

nodough
07/17/2007, 06:53 AM
I have just hooked up my Geo 618 Ca reactor, I set it at 6.5 ph, running about 50ml effluent with a BPM of about 90/95 is this a good starting point. Testing, should I test both the effluent and the tank the direction said something about the alkanlity should be 2 to 3 time higher then the tank is this correct.

Any tips to dailing this in would sure be appreciated.

montrealreef
07/17/2007, 08:40 AM
Congratulations on a great purchase. I'm running a Geo 618 on my 100 G SPS dominated tank. My previous CA reactor was a piece of junk made by coralife. It was a waste of money...I love my Geo, it's trouble free and once you figure out the drip rate, you will not need to adjust it at all. Mine has been on the same setting for 4 months.

As for your question, it seems that you have set up things properly. The effluent rate depends on the size of the system and the bioload which will effect the Ca depletion rate.

If you are running the reactor with a pH controller then you only need to measure CA and Alk in the tank water, but if you are dosing CO2 manually then you will need to make measurement on the effluent (to ensure proper pH and alkalinity) before adjusting the drip rate.

a final piece of advice: make sure the Magnesium level in your tank is 1250 to 1500 or you will never be able to keep the calcium at a good level. ( Magnesium helps prevent the precipitation of Calcium in the water and on rocks and pumps etc...

old salty
07/17/2007, 03:35 PM
Since you are in Cincinnati, I will PM you my work number to assist you in dialing in the reactor. Just leave a message if you get my voice mail as my job requires that I leave my desk every so often to answer maintenace calls.