PDA

View Full Version : Painting a tank

scotmc
07/17/2007, 09:03 AM
When painting a tank. Do you leave the section where your RR plumbing is clear?

Thanks

der_wille_zur_macht
07/17/2007, 09:05 AM
Consider hanging a background behind the tank rather than painting. A background can be reversed in a matter of seconds if you don't like it, whereas paint can be difficult (or impossible) to totally remove.

If you want a nice finished look, you can use a thin sheet of acrylic for the background, or even just colored mylar film.

I might be biased though. A few years ago, I spent HOURS scraping the paint off a 125 I'd bought used.

scotmc
07/17/2007, 09:14 AM
IMHO a black background looks great. With a sharp long razor can take paint off glass in no time.

jnguyen4007
07/17/2007, 09:18 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=10356512#post10356512 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by scotmc
When painting a tank. Do you leave the section where your RR plumbing is clear?

Thanks

I cover the inside hole of where the plumbing would go so as not to get paint inside the tank. Then I spray paint over entire area.

James

theatrus
07/17/2007, 09:18 AM
For that matter, I would leave that section clear. If you do need to look in there with a complicated arrangement of lights and mirrors, at least you can :)

der_wille_zur_macht
07/17/2007, 09:23 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=10356600#post10356600 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by theatrus
For that matter, I would leave that section clear. If you do need to look in there with a complicated arrangement of lights and mirrors, at least you can :)

This brings up another good argument for hanging a background instead of painting. If you ever need/want to look in your tank from behind - for maintenance, finding a lost critter, etc - a hung background can be removed and replaced in seconds.

Of course, if your tank is right against a wall, that doesn't really make a difference.

FleeVT
07/17/2007, 09:28 AM
I just scraped a 72; with along razor it took about 30 minutes. The sverflow section was not painted, and it was nice, as you could see everything in there. I plan on paiting the tank again (black this time), but I will leave the glass behind the overflow clear.

BTW, what is the best type of paint to use? Glossy spray paint? Any brands better than others?

Doahh
07/17/2007, 09:30 AM
OK this is what I was told...
Go to Wallyworld (Wal*Mart) and go to the spraypaint section. Get KRYLON FUSION BLACK SATIN paint... not glossy but SATIN

theatrus
07/17/2007, 09:34 AM
Krylon Fusion is great for plastics as it will adhere readily and won't flake off when submersed. But I would think any paint that can adhere to glass would work.

Edit: found this: http://fins.actwin.com/aquatic-plants/month.9803/msg00113.html

I'm seriously considering painting my next 90g. I'm currently using a backdrop on my 55g, which honestly doesn't look as nice as a painted backdrop (especially after you get a drop of salt water under it, etc etc). I'm also looking into a more rigid piece of foamboard - easier to keep level and seal at the top.

jnguyen4007
07/17/2007, 09:47 AM
I would have to agree with theatrus. getting water between the backdrop and the glass wall makes it look real ugly. At least in my opinion anyway. Painting still produces the best result and much cheaper than using a back drop. I know you can buy those that will stick to your tank similar to windows tinting, except the material can easily peel off. The price however, is far more expensive than a cheap can of spray paint.

James