PDA

View Full Version : Help to clean my sand

jer77
07/17/2007, 06:15 PM
Is there any way to sterilize sand? I recently acquired over 300 lbs of "old school" southdown sand. I live in PA so it was available to our reef group a while back and a friend of mine bought a lot of it. The only problem is that he kept the bags outside. So when I got them for free some of the bags had tiny holes in them where water could have gotten in and formed some mold. The sand isn't very wet at all and theres no mold anywhere in the bags, but I just want to make sure it clean enough to put into my new tank. So what should I do?

oct2274
07/17/2007, 06:19 PM
southdown has to be rinsed many many times for it to run clear. It took me about 6 hours to rinse 5 bags. Just rinse small amounts at a time until the water is fairly clear and do over and over and over and over and over..........ya, you get the idea........DO NOT TRY TO PUT THE SAND IN WITHOUT CLEANING IT!

bertoni
07/17/2007, 06:46 PM
I'd just add it to the tank, most likely. If you want a live sandbed, rinsing will remove many of the fine particles that the sandbed animals will need.

jer77
07/17/2007, 06:55 PM
I just got done reading that I should wash it to get some of the dust out. But its impossible to get all of it out so I'm sure there will be enough fine particles for the sand loving animals. Plus I read that it should be washed in saltwater after rinsing with freshwater. This ensures that some chemical process takes place outside of your tank that lowers your calcium and alkalinity.

But again about the mold, should I be worried?

oct2274
07/17/2007, 07:23 PM
you will regret it forever if you don't rinse southdown......it is so nasty. It makes nasty foam when you are rinsing it and has tons of powder, the reason why it took me 6 hours to rinse mine. south down is extremely very sound

Grins
07/17/2007, 07:27 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=10360434#post10360434 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by bertoni
I'd just add it to the tank, most likely. If you want a live sandbed, rinsing will remove many of the fine particles that the sandbed animals will need.

Are you saying not to rinse Southdown? That is the first time I've seen that advice if so.

bertoni
07/17/2007, 08:55 PM
I doubt I'd rinse it at all. As I said, the process can lose fine sand grains. If the sand is contaminated with a lot of mold, I'd just pitch it. To me, it sounds clean enough, in my opinion, not having seen it. :)

Agu
07/17/2007, 09:22 PM
If the sand has mold you don't want it put in your tank until it's cleaned.

Completely dry the sand. For that quantity I'd recommend a plastic tarp under the sand in the sun.

Once it's dry rinse small amounts in water until organics rise to the top. Pour off the scum. Dry again. Rinse again in RO/DI water, the pure water will attract pollutants and clean the sand. Dry it a third time and add it to your tank.

I've recycled some pretty filthy sand this way with great success.

snulma1
07/17/2007, 09:30 PM
I've used southdown in my tanks and never rinsed! You won't get a dust storm if you take your time with filling your tank. I placed a garbage bag inside the tank and poured the water slowly over that! and eventually the bag will float leaving clean water underneath!

I did that on my old 110 and on my current 20. But if you want to remove any unwanted organics, then yes, I would rinse!

jamiep
07/18/2007, 05:19 AM
I would wash. If your really worried about mould, put the sand in a bucket of water and add some milton fluid (just a drop is all thats needed about a table spoon), let it sit for 30mins and then rinse it out till it runs extermly close to clear.