PDA

View Full Version : Anyone have biotope tanks?

10" Red Devil
07/17/2007, 10:11 PM
Can I see your biotope tanks? Any Caribbean biotope tanks or indo pacific from a certain place like the phillipines etc?

Random Aquarist
07/17/2007, 11:41 PM
I do. Unfortunately, it's currently cycling and I don't have a very good camera anyway.

It's an 86g(+30g sump) Fiji shallow reef slope biotope. I plan on covering all of my rocks with Chlorodesmis fastigiata and nestling a BTA into one of the cracks. Maybe some Botryocladia in a few spots, but that's pretty much it for sessile inverts. In reefs, corals, sessile inverts, etc. usually have large colonies of just their species. In this case, it's a colony of macroalgae. Don't think that you have to do that for a biotope, though, because there are lots of places where there are many small colonies of coral together, much like an average reef tank.

For fish, I'll use a pair of maroon clowns and maybe a pair of firefish and/or a small shoal of native chromis.

That pretty much sums it up. You can have a lot more variety in your tank, but, being my first tank, I'm trying for low maintanence and compatibilities I know will work.

If you're looking for fish or coral native to the Phillipines, look at Fish Base (http://fishbase.org/search.php) and Coral Search (http://www2.aims.gov.au/coralsearch/coralsearch.php).

10" Red Devil
07/18/2007, 04:20 PM
bump

xtm
09/13/2007, 12:25 PM
Hi 10" RD,

I am re-doing my whole system to replicate my childhood "backyard" in the Philippines (the reef that is! )

For stocking, my plan is 1 4-striped Dascyllus, 2 Premnas pair, 1 Entacmea Quadricolor, a Sixlined Wrasse and various Acropora sp.
The 4-striped Damsel is very common where I grew up, you can find them in 1 ft of water! :D

I used to mix species from all over the world but it looked so unnatural it annoyed me to no end. I'm a purist I guess, lol. I will post some pics after I set this up, but the fish are still in the QT.. (4 weeks remaining) My DSB needs to be cleaned, the sump needs to be re-baffled. There are so much things I need to do but I will keep you updated ;)