PDA

View Full Version : Trying to break an Euro-Reef CS400 skimmer

pencilcup
07/18/2007, 08:23 AM
Recently, I upsized my tank to 400g. I want to use my old EuroReef CS400 skimmer but it looks like the skimmer is not big enough. I am planning to drill 2 holes to the CS400's body and put a new pump to draw water from the body's skimmer and inject water with bubles back to the skimmer (a close loop - recirc ????).
If I do that, will it produces more skimmate? Any thing that I have to consider before I break my skimmer?

Thanks

pencilcup
07/19/2007, 06:12 AM
^bump^

markandkristen
07/19/2007, 06:49 AM
i think you need to be careful with how much air you put into the skimmer i have the 12-2 and finding out that a 4" neck can bring turbulance if too much air is applied

tom obrecht
07/19/2007, 08:48 AM
Why not sell the skimmer you have and upgrade to a larger one?

pencilcup
07/20/2007, 06:30 AM
If it works that way (hopefully) then it would save lots of $$$ than buying a bigger skimmer :lol:

markandkristen
07/20/2007, 06:50 AM
so r u planning on doing a recirculating mod. you can also do the mesh mod that would improve the performance of the skimmer

or you could order the new needle wheel impellars (black ones) they are similar to deltec and then you should be fine. thier suppose to increase the air intake. that way you wouldnt chop up your existing skimmer.

i would try that first and see where your at. if you filling your cup daily then you can either upgrade to a larger skimmer or do the recirculating mod. but with the black impellar you should be getting close to what that neck will handle as far as air.