PDA

View Full Version : Planning on starting a 90g reef tank

carlosngloria
07/18/2007, 08:33 AM
Me and my wife are planning on starting a 90gal reef tank. Ive been looking around and I have been getting advice. Ive been to 4 different shops in my area and have gotten different information from each store, which is making my choices hard. This is what i am looking for

90gal tank with built in overflow
wet/dry
pump
protein skimmer
strong lighting for corals
uv sterilizer

Any one know a good place to pick these items up for a reasonable prices? Also if i need anything else for this set-up please let me know.
The price I have been getting for the tank is $250 is that a good price?

sir_dudeguy
07/18/2007, 08:52 AM
Stop! :)

Do not get the wet/dry...they're not good for reef tanks really. They'll build up nitrates after a while, which are bad for corals and inverts. Your main filtration should be at least 1 pound of live rock per gallon of water...so in your case close to 90 pounds of live rock would do. It will be expensive, but sometimes you can get it from other local reefers for like 3 bucks a pound instead of the 6 or more the LFS will sell it for.

And you also do not need the UV thing. They are not needed in a reef tank.

Where did you find a 90g tank for 250? At the place i work, they sell a 90g setup w/built in overflow, stand and canopy for over a thousand...its a nice setup dont get me wrong...but 250???

Do a lot of reading in this forum (the newbie forum) before you buy anything though. The last thing you need is to waste money on unneeded or low quality equipment, only to have to upgrade to a bigger/better one of whatever it was.

theatrus
07/18/2007, 10:48 AM
90g AGA tanks run about $250-350 depending on markup and whether they have a builtin overflow :) Remember you want an appropriate stand for it - a full 90g weighs on the order of 1100+lbs. Store bought cabinet stands are fine, or you can DIY if you're handy with wood.

- Skip the wet dry or pre-built sumps unless you do not want to do any DIY work. If you're really not into minor DIY, a store-bought sump works, just is pricey. I would run them as a pure sump, so remove the bioballs and any filter media. Stick the heaters etc down there.

- UV is hardly needed in most systems, and unless it is a very good unit, won't be doing much. Save the cash.

- I would suggest a T5-high output light (one with individual reflectors per bulb), with at least 4 -54W T5HO bulbs. ReefGeek has good pricing on Sunlight Supply Tek fixtures. Premium Aquatics also carries Aquaintics fixtures (5 bulb). They look sleek and should be run without a canopy.

carlosngloria
07/18/2007, 02:14 PM
thanx.... so what kind of filtration should i use then? i had a feeling these guys at the fish stores around here were trying to get an extra buck out of me. they all told me to go with the wet/dry and that i had to put a uv sterilizer in it. also one of the store told me i had to get a chiller. is this true?? im not planning on having a canopy i dont like the tank with the canopy on it. i was also thinking about making a stand for it because i can make one for a cheaper price and have it looking better and stronger then the ones they sell.

sir_dudeguy
07/18/2007, 02:22 PM
For filtration in a reef, you're going to want live rock. At least 1 pound per gallon of water, so in your case around 90 pounds. Thats where it can get pricey, but if you can find a local person breaking down a tank, you can save a bit there.

Live rock is a natural filter and does not build up nitrates like wet/dries, canisters, and HOB filters. Instead, it can break nitrates down once more into nitrogen gas i believe...its some sort of gas anyways.

A good place to find DIY plans for a stand is fishandtips.com

ludnix
07/18/2007, 02:25 PM
Your main filtration should be biological. This is done through live rock and live sand. I would reccomend doing a little more extensive research before buying anything. Also check out about.com's saltwater aquarium information, it is very helpful.

Blown 346
07/18/2007, 02:29 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=10365702#post10365702 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by carlosngloria
thanx.... so what kind of filtration should i use then? i had a feeling these guys at the fish stores around here were trying to get an extra buck out of me. they all told me to go with the wet/dry and that i had to put a uv sterilizer in it. also one of the store told me i had to get a chiller. is this true?? im not planning on having a canopy i dont like the tank with the canopy on it. i was also thinking about making a stand for it because i can make one for a cheaper price and have it looking better and stronger then the ones they sell.

I myself used a normal fishtank for my filter(sump). I bought a 40 gallon breeder tank for my 90.

A chiller isnt necassary unless you are going to have temperature problems. If you have A/C in the house and it stays coold you shouldnt have a problem.

here is a pic of the fish tank I bought and made my filter out of.

http://reefcentral.com/gallery/data/500/5730740_gallon_sump.jpg

carlosngloria
07/20/2007, 07:04 AM
Are Coral life super skimmers any good for a 90g reef tank? Also what size sump would be good? Also what size pump should I get? Ive tried the search thing but it keeps saying its too busy and try again later.

Shooter7
07/20/2007, 07:20 AM
I have not owned one of those skimmers, so cannot say. I like my Euroreef pretty well though. For searching purposes, up at the top of this page click on "Home". On the top of that page, in the upper left hand corner, you see some menu options...click on "Search Tools". There you will find a google search tool for this site. Or just get a paid membership here and search all you want.

chris31
07/20/2007, 09:15 AM
i have acoral life skimmer and havent ever had a prob with it

sir_dudeguy
07/20/2007, 09:48 AM
I've got a coralife in my 40 and wont buy another. If you did get one on a 90, you should get the 220 model, at which point you could just buy a better skimmer :)

theatrus
07/20/2007, 09:58 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=10377640#post10377640 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by carlosngloria
Are Coral life super skimmers any good for a 90g reef tank? Also what size sump would be good? Also what size pump should I get? Ive tried the search thing but it keeps saying its too busy and try again later.

CSS Skimmers are serviceable, but not all that great. If you're on a budget, try a Reef Octopus needle-wheel skimmer. Its an asian semi-knockoff of the Euro-Reefs and works quite well.

Sump is usually dictated what you can fit under your stand. I'm going with a custom built acrylic one (DIY custom built :)) of a max capacity of ~40gallons. I would say in the range of 30-40 gallons.

Pumps need to be slower than the overflow. In a reef ready 90g, you have one overflow which can handle a max of 600gph, so find a pump which delivers 400-500 gph at about 4 feet of head. Look at Ocean Runner pumps, as well as Eheim. Mag drives also work, but they eat a good chunk more power than better pumps and aren't the quietest.

carlosngloria
07/20/2007, 11:44 AM
Ok so im planning on making my own sump now i just have a couple questions. Ive been looking at the diy plans and I just wanted to know how it should be set-up

Please tell me if im wrong

In the sump the compartment where the water enters i put the protein skimmer then the middle compartment is my refugium with the live sand rock and algae. Then the last compartment with the return pump with carbon around it.

hyperfocal
07/20/2007, 02:31 PM
I really suggest you pick up and read The Reef Aquarium: Science, Art, and Technology, Vol. 3 by Sprung & Delbeek. IMO it's the most complete and up-to-date book on reef aquaria out there. It'll probably be the best $60 you spend; it'll end up saving you a lot more than that, too.

carlosngloria
07/23/2007, 07:56 PM
Ok ive changed my mind I am going to go with a 120 gal. Better this way I think cause I dont want to start the 90 and half way through wish I went bigger. So im just gonna go with the 120gal I like the with on it better.

bllfish
07/23/2007, 08:41 PM
Welcome to the wonderful world of reef tanks.
You will want a 180 in a year or so and so on and so on.
Bigger is always better.

SpareParts
07/29/2007, 07:17 PM
Aha! Here's an answer to a question I've had for a while! I was wondering about all this water coming down to the sump. If the water comes into the sump faster than the pump can return it, how does one keep it from overflowing? I know its probably in the sump design, but hey, I'm new at this!

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=10378540#post10378540 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by theatrus
CSS Skimmers are serviceable, but not all that great. If you're on a budget, try a Reef Octopus needle-wheel skimmer. Its an asian semi-knockoff of the Euro-Reefs and works quite well.

Sump is usually dictated what you can fit under your stand. I'm going with a custom built acrylic one (DIY custom built :)) of a max capacity of ~40gallons. I would say in the range of 30-40 gallons.

Pumps need to be slower than the overflow. In a reef ready 90g, you have one overflow which can handle a max of 600gph, so find a pump which delivers 400-500 gph at about 4 feet of head. Look at Ocean Runner pumps, as well as Eheim. Mag drives also work, but they eat a good chunk more power than better pumps and aren't the quietest.

kevin vara
07/29/2007, 08:11 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=10379334#post10379334 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by carlosngloria
Ok so im planning on making my own sump now i just have a couple questions. Ive been looking at the diy plans and I just wanted to know how it should be set-up

Please tell me if im wrong

In the sump the compartment where the water enters i put the protein skimmer then the middle compartment is my refugium with the live sand rock and algae. Then the last compartment with the return pump with carbon around it. yes thats how it works:rollface:

carlosngloria
07/29/2007, 08:21 PM
well guys I started a new thread. From all the advice Ive been reading on RC Ive decided to go with a 180 gal FOWLR. No more reef. Corals are nice and all but Id rather have nice fish. All the nice fish I want are not reef safe. Too bad the nice looking fish dont get along with the corals.

barngeatbayman
07/29/2007, 08:35 PM
keep reading on here. Buy quality equipment you wont be disappointed. Pick up a book the Consciencous Marine Aquarist by Bob Fenner best $20 bucks you ever spent.

Tony44
07/29/2007, 11:34 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=10441414#post10441414 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by carlosngloria
well guys I started a new thread. From all the advice Ive been reading on RC Ive decided to go with a 180 gal FOWLR. No more reef. Corals are nice and all but Id rather have nice fish. All the nice fish I want are not reef safe. Too bad the nice looking fish dont get along with the corals.

I said the same thing. Give it a few months, and you will want some coral.

uscharalph
07/29/2007, 11:50 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=10440939#post10440939 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by SpareParts
Aha! Here's an answer to a question I've had for a while! I was wondering about all this water coming down to the sump. If the water comes into the sump faster than the pump can return it, how does one keep it from overflowing? I know its probably in the sump design, but hey, I'm new at this!
The water goes down the sump only as fast as the pump delivers it to the display tank.

iwishtofish
07/30/2007, 05:17 AM
Yeah, I think you will want some coral, too. They add diversity, drama, and spectacular color to the tank. Sure, it's nice to be able to get any fish you want, but you'll end up with a boring tank. Might as well go freshwater and save a lot of money, if you just want fish! Sorry to be so opinionated... :)

carlosngloria
07/30/2007, 06:45 AM
Well the reason why Im not going with coral is because of the fish I would be getting. Right now I have a 1" queen angel and she is picking all over my rock. I would be putting that fish in the 180. I also want to get a couple butterflys, they also pick on coral. A local fish store told me the angel wouldnt pick on the hard corals. Im not sure if the butterflys do or dont. If they dont pick on the hard corals either, I might get some of those. But im not gonna spend a ton of money on corals to sit here and watch the fish pick on them and kill them.

kodyboy
07/30/2007, 09:57 AM
for a 180 fowlr you are going to need a good skimmer, I would go with a DAS ex-2 or better yet ex-3 (protein-skimmer.com) or have Orca make you a custom skimmer to fit your budget/stand. This is the most important piece of equipment on your tank so do not skimp on it.
Do not get a superskimmer, not the best and not nearly good enough for a 180.
You will also need water movement. 3 or 4 Koralia 4s should work well. Water movement is very important to the health of everything.
For lighting it is not super important for a fowlr, but you should get something that will work for corals later on (or at least could be a supplement for them). I like these T5 units for Fowlrs, not enough light for corals in any way (I would go with aquactinics for that, a 72 inch constellation would work very well on your 180). http://www.bigalsonline.com/BigAlsUS/ctl3684/cp18360/si1379082/cl0/coralifeswt5aqualightdoublestriplight36
2-4 of these should light up your tank enough to see the fish. I would go with the constellation from the onset, but that is not cheap.
I will second getting a good book or ten:) You should get and read these BEFORE you get the tank. The Conscientious Marine Aquarist is an excellent place to start. The more you read the better off you will be.
Start slow and build up. Resist the temptation (that we all have all the time) to buys tons of fish and get them in there quick, that is a recipe for disaster. If you do not have one already get a quarantine tank ( a 20 long should work), parasites are far easier to prevent than get rid of.

carlosngloria
07/30/2007, 10:14 AM
thanks kodyboy. I currently have a 15gal tank that when I do get the 180 will become my QT. The live sand will get thrown out. Live rock in there now will go in my sump. I want to shoot for a 55gal sump. I was looking at the ASM G4, and the MR-2 from MRC. They are both rated for 300 gal.

kodyboy
07/30/2007, 11:06 AM
Both are more expensive or as expensive as the DAS ex2 and not as good (especially the G4). The DAS would be a better skimmer for you (either the ex-2 or ex-3).

Gobydood
07/30/2007, 11:50 AM
I'm suprised nobody mentioned melevs reef. Here is the link, taught me a lot about sumps and refugiums, even made a copy of one of his sumps.

http://www.melevsreef.com/allmysumps.html

kodyboy
07/30/2007, 11:59 AM
nice site