PDA

View Full Version : flame angel question

M2B3J
07/18/2007, 10:03 AM
Are flame angels good fish....i really like how they look and i am considering buying one. any suggestions?

ipiniowa
07/18/2007, 10:04 AM
I have one that is great in my 90. He never picks at the corals, but I have heard people say they are hit and miss.

sir_dudeguy
07/18/2007, 10:29 AM
Sometimes they'll nip corals/clams or inverts (or if you get really unlucky, all 3) but others have no problems at all. It just depends on each individual fish. Same with any angel...i've got a coral beauty thats perfectly reef safe and has never touched a thing in my tanks, but others have some that are just nasty ;)

ipiniowa
07/18/2007, 10:47 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=10364226#post10364226 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by sir_dudeguy
Sometimes they'll nip corals/clams or inverts (or if you get really unlucky, all 3) but others have no problems at all. It just depends on each individual fish. Same with any angel...i've got a coral beauty thats perfectly reef safe and has never touched a thing in my tanks, but others have some that are just nasty ;)
Yep, I had a coral beauty that had to go for that reason.

hyperfocal
07/18/2007, 11:54 AM
My Flame Angel nips at SPS polyps, so no daytime PE in my tank :(

It's shown no interest in my clams, LPS or softies though -- except my Trachyphyllia. He takes a nip at it once in a while, too.

I suggest you ask yourself how important daytime PE is. If it's important to you, don't take the risk. If it's no biggie, go for it. I've decided it is worth it; the FA is a beautiful fish and has a good personality. Of course, I have a mixed reef tank so SPS aren't the center of attention anyways.

UN-Sizzlers
07/18/2007, 12:26 PM
I had an african Flame back that was good and didnt bother my lobo but have heard horror stories as well. I really miss him but had to give him up when we moved ( glad I did as the fish i kept didnt make the move). Keepng them well fed and happy makes a difference I think. also they love the little sponges grwoing on the live rock too.

rick s
07/18/2007, 01:30 PM
Mine nipped at a few choice corals to the point that they would no longer open during daylight.

sardonicscorpio
07/18/2007, 01:32 PM
Very much depends on the personality of the fish, so be prepared to take 'em back if they don't work out

Nano Chris
07/18/2007, 03:52 PM
I keep mine well fed, he nips at the rocks, rarely pics at my corals.

ahullsb
07/18/2007, 11:04 PM
I would find another fish. This seems to be one of those fish that everyone sees in the store and has to have. Me included. :) Mine started nipping at corals after about 2 months. I would get a different fish. Trying to catch him was enough for me to stop putting risky fish in my tank.