PDA

View Full Version : Best place to buy custom acrylic sumps?

The Saltman
07/18/2007, 02:29 PM
Hi guys,

Where is the best place to order pre-made acrylic sump designs online?

I appreciate your help

heyfredyourhat
07/18/2007, 07:28 PM
http://www.acrylicsumps.com

I sent him a drawing and he got back to me very fast. We had emailed back and forth a lot to come up with a decent idea for my sump. I haven't received it yet, but he says maybe the end of the week (about 2 weeks total) he will ship it.

petedoc
07/18/2007, 08:22 PM
If all you need is a simple acrylic tank, check out twinoaks02 on ebay. I have purchased two 65 gallon and one 50 gallon tanks for sump use. They work great and what a deal, 120$ shipped.

zuzecawi
07/23/2007, 12:49 AM
Petedoc, did you drill your tank? I looked at those and kinda wondered about the longevity of the ebay tanks, they look a little spooky to me, thickness and construction wise. Maybe I'm just paranoid about seeing a frame on an acrylic tank.

petedoc
07/23/2007, 07:18 AM
Yes, I drilled the tanks to use as sumps, no problem. They are kind of ugly with the frame, but they work great as sumps. I also glued in a couple of dividers with weldon, really quiet simple to do.

jlt23
07/23/2007, 08:52 AM
I bought my entire system (tank, stand, canopy, and sump) from socalcreations. Just picked it up on Saturday. Top quality and very nice guys to deal with.

James11
07/23/2007, 08:58 AM
twinoaks02 on ebay is glasscages, I don't know if that helps or not but I had sent them a message on ebay to quote me a tank and it came back from glasscages.

Petedoc, how well were they constructed, were you happy with them. Do you think they could be good enough quality to be a display tank if had the eurobracing and no black trim?

petedoc
07/23/2007, 01:42 PM
James, the tanks that I have require the black frame for structural integrity. They do have some acrylic tanks available that don't have the black framing. The acrylic seems to be of a lower quality than my display tank, it scratches easily. You are correct, the company name is glasscages and they sell a lot of tanks.

reef / aholic
07/23/2007, 06:48 PM
Try MRC or www.melevsreef.com for information.

GobyJohnKenobi
07/23/2007, 08:17 PM
My Reef Creations

I've seen a couple of their 200+ gallon custom sumps.

The fit, finish and overall quality of construction are AMAZING.
And Andy is a great guy to work with.

nattydread
07/23/2007, 09:08 PM
I just went through this process. I went with a MRC reef sump. It seems to be rreal hard to find a reef sump stock, more custom fabricators need to offer a stocked reef sump.

petedoc
07/23/2007, 09:25 PM
The problem with reef sumps is every one wants something different. I have no microbubbles, so I have no baffles. I have an in sump skimmer so less holes to drill. My refugium is an adjacent 50 gal tank that drains into my sump. A sump can be as complicated as you want or a simple tank.