PDA

View Full Version : Best Algae eaters - Fish / Inverts

Reefit
07/18/2007, 04:04 PM
I'm close to restocking my tank, and would like some advise on the best inhabitant for algae control. I currently have a hair algae problem likely due to high phosphate, and a lack of marine life to eat away at it. I would plan on putting blue legged hermit crabs and snails in, and am particularily interested in fish that would be good. TIA

areze
07/18/2007, 04:06 PM
I had tons of hair algea.

I put 5 mexican turbos and a foxface rabbitfish. 2 days and the algea is 75% gone.

Im shocked... I dont think the rabbitfish even did much, cause he's still a bit skiddish. but the turbos are nuts!

Reefit
07/18/2007, 04:14 PM
I have half a dozen Mexican Turbos, which might not be enough, but they don't seem to be able to keep up. I tried a rabbitfish but my purple tank pumbled him to death. The purple tang is gone now and I think another rabbitfish would be worth a try. Does anyone else have experience with rabbitfish being useful for hair algae?
Thanks for your responce.

areze
07/18/2007, 04:32 PM
yeah I have 5 turbos in 75g. 200g wouldrequire a whole lot more. 20+? there the first snail Ive seen actually do anything though. crabs just kill snails for their shells. I want to add about 40 trochus snails, then Ill be good to go I think.

tmz
07/18/2007, 04:45 PM
Foxface rabbitfish is my best grazer.

aschroeder
07/18/2007, 04:49 PM
I have only 2 mexican turbos in my 20 gallon and they wiped out all of my hair algae. I have one stubborn rock that keeps regrowing, but the turbos eventually mow it down again.