PDA

View Full Version : Food ???????

TandN
07/18/2007, 06:21 PM
What are you guys feeding you reef fish ??? I feed Frozen Mysis but looking for something with less NO3 and PO4. I defrost the cubes then rinse the cubes and then slooooowwwwllllllyyyyyy feed them. But would like something easier and better
TIA
T.

fishmonger2
07/18/2007, 11:42 PM
I feed my fish two frozen food; Formula 1 and Frozen Mysis, Brine and Spirulina mix. But I also feed Cyclop-eeze flakes. A great color enhancing food that it's loaded with protein and fatty acids. It also comes in a freeze dried variety, and it's easy to feed. Just throw it in the tank.

Also for simple and easy, formula 1 and 2 pellets are good. Again just throw it in.

davidryder
07/19/2007, 01:07 AM
I just blend salad shrimp, mix it with frozen brine shrimp, mysis shrimp, and formula 2. Then I refill all the packages I just emptied with the new stuff and put the leftovers in a ziploc bag so I can break off what I need when I run out of the cubes. My nitrates are at 5ppm (slowly going down) but I have 2 refugiums and no skimmer. I don't feed VERY heavily but I do regular water changes and have a TON of macro and a DSB.

If you are looking for a way to decrease nitrates, changing your food alone probably won't yield great results.

fishmonger2
07/19/2007, 11:54 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=10369698#post10369698 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by davidryder
If you are looking for a way to decrease nitrates, changing your food alone probably won't yield great results.

No but changing how much and how often she feeds will.

kevin2000
07/19/2007, 12:00 PM
I think what your doing is about as good as it gets for phosphates ... "easiers" usually means more phosphate.

jnc914
07/19/2007, 12:14 PM
I like to switch up the menu on a daily basis. I feed mysis and spirulina dipped brine shrimp at one feeding, color enchansing flake food for a second feeding, and ocean plankton and mysis with vita-chem for the third meal. No high nitrates or phosphates, weekly water changes, H&S skimmer and 100 gallon sump and 100 gallon fuge keeps the water healthy. Will be adding ozone over the weekend to ensure spotless water parameters.

mr_o98
07/19/2007, 03:44 PM
I change the menu daily as well. I go with one cube of brine or mysis, and then one cube of one of the following: formula 1, reef plankton, plankton, or marine cuisine. I also feed a small sheet of nori almost everyday.

TandN
07/20/2007, 07:40 AM
Im not looking to change for nutrients I have non lol. My PO4 is @ 0.01 i know of many reefers who use this stick on pellet that the fish pick at but its not sold here in the US and there fish luv it. So i am looking for something like that, that doesnt take hours to take care of prepping and feedin

msn711
07/20/2007, 09:41 AM
A PO4 level of .01 is really nothing to worry about.

"For these reasons, phosphate should be kept below 0.03 ppm. Whether keeping it below 0.01 ppm will yield substantial additional benefits remains to be established, but that is a goal that some aquarists are pursuing with various ways of exporting phosphate. The best ways to maintain low levels of phosphate in normal aquaria are to incorporate some combination of phosphate export mechanisms, such as growing and harvesting macroalgae or other rapidly growing organisms, using foods without excessive phosphate, skimming, using limewater, and using phosphate binding media, especially those that are iron-based (which are always brown or black). Some aquarists have also tried to reduce phosphate by inducing blooms of microorganisms such as bacteria. This last method should, in my opinion, be left to experienced aquarists."

From: http://www.reefkeeping.com/issues/2004-05/rhf/index.php

TandN
07/20/2007, 12:20 PM
lol this thread has nothing to do about NUTRIENTS. I just want to know what everyone else out there are feeding there fishes :)

raddogz
07/20/2007, 02:24 PM
I feed my fish a little of everything. My freezer is a treasure trove of frozen fish food.

So any day can be p.e. mysis, regular mysis, spirulina-packed brine shrimp, cyclop-eeze, frozen concoction "Rod's food", various dry flake and pellet foods.

mr_o98
07/20/2007, 03:00 PM
I sometimes feed freeze dried plankton as well. I just throw in like 2-3 pieces for the cardinal.

SDguy
07/20/2007, 04:21 PM
Frozen scallops and shrimp from the grozery store. Just mince them up. Very little "juice" when they thaw, compared to mysis.