PDA

View Full Version : Adding Water Volume

akwtampa
07/19/2007, 08:01 AM
I have a question regarding adding additional water volume. I'm hoping this is the right forum on which to post this query.

My current setp is a 180 mixed reef: mostly rics/zoos with a couple of LPS thrown in and 3 Montipora colonies. Current Tank inhabitants: 1 Achilles Tang, 2 Zebrasoma (yellow, purple), Magnificent Foxface, Blue Jaw trigger, White Tail Trigger, maroon clown, 2xfalse percs, 3xPJ Cardinals, Bangaai Cardinal, Green Mandarin, Coral Beauty, 2 Cleaner Shrimp, various snails, crabs, etc.. Equipment includes: ASM 4plus skimmer, 80 watts UV (mostly off), sock style sump, 2x Seio 820, and Dart return pump..

My question is, I have a 350 gallon water container that is very hard, thick plastic and I'm wondering if I could plumb that in externally to add water volume? Would that have a lot of benefit? My house is raised up, with a crawl space, and I could bury the container under the house to keep it cool.. Just curious for opinions regarding this project..

Thanks!

Aaron

eckrynock
07/19/2007, 08:16 AM
Sounds like a great idea! I would definitely do that. All that water volume and a free chiller, sounds like a winner. With mostly softies, your calc and alk demand isn't very high so you wouldn't be adding a lot more additives with the volume increase.

samtheman
07/19/2007, 08:19 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=10370584#post10370584 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by eckrynock
Sounds like a great idea! I would definitely do that. All that water volume and a free chiller, sounds like a winner. With mostly softies, your calc and alk demand isn't very high so you wouldn't be adding a lot more additives with the volume increase. Adding calc and alk is based on usage, not water volumn.

akwtampa
07/19/2007, 08:26 AM
When determining the amount of 2part to add in the future, will I have to account for the increased water volume?

BeanAnimal
07/19/2007, 09:49 AM
You may have to add more intitially to raise the levels to your desired baseline. After that, the additions will be dictated by what the livestock uses.

So no, you will not have to account for the increased volume once you get the levels where you want them.

akwtampa
07/19/2007, 11:26 AM
Can anyone think of a better way to drain/return the water from the "cistern" than draining from the sump under my tank, and returning back via an internal pump like a MAG 36? I was considering an external pump at first, but then I remembered the requirement of burying the "cistern"..

papagimp
07/19/2007, 11:30 AM
I think the added 350g would make a nice difference in stability, the only problem I see with burying the thing under the house would be in the event of a leak or anything else that would require maintance on the cistern.

akwtampa
07/19/2007, 11:42 AM
I'm not terribly concerned with leaks as the container I'm dealing with is designed with a 20 year leak-free service life in mind.. It was originally made to hold caustic chemicals.. We're talking THICK plastic.. :) I just happen to have the ability to get one that's new at next to nothing..

BeanAnimal
07/19/2007, 12:30 PM
What type of bulkhead or access port is on the top? Is it designed to be fully burried?

MarineFishGuy
07/19/2007, 12:58 PM
I am using a 110 gallon Tractor Supply Company tub for my sump/fuge. It is in my basement and has a 14 foot calculated head pressure.
I am using a Mag 18 for the return pump and it works quite well.
Since it is in the basement it stays cooler and makes water changes much easier.
I only fill it about 2/3rds of the way up so I can accomodate most of the 75 gallons in the top tank in an emergency.
You can see some photos of my setup here:
http://www.kccweb.com/Tank/tank_setup.htm
The added voume has really helped the stability of the overall system.
HTH,
Ken

Pbrown3701
07/19/2007, 01:47 PM
When you say "thick plastic" how thick are you talking? I ask because it may not be necessary to burry it. If it's real thick plastic, then it will be so well insulated that you won't see any improvement from having it burried vs. just placing it on the ground in the same location. This would also allow you to use the external pump if you wanted. It would also be safer in case you had a flood or something as water wouldn't drain into the container.

Just a thought.

BeanAnimal
07/19/2007, 02:26 PM
Exactly :)

davidryder
07/20/2007, 07:01 AM
Whatever you do you're going to want to have access to the container - at least the ability to drain it and if absolutely necessary to be able to get into it. 350 gallons would add some stability but water changes are either going to get really expensive or they aren't going to happen as often. Be sure to make the pump easily accessible also.