PDA

View Full Version : Will My BTA Move?

Iguana79
07/19/2007, 11:26 AM
I just purchased a BTA yesterday afternoon; I already had 2 paired maroon clowns. As soon as I put in the BTA, It landed on a rock then either the current moved it or it moved itself, floated around for awhile and then landed in the corner by where the clowns have been hanging out since I put them in. As soon as the BTA landed, the Maroon clowns took to it like it has always been there.

My questions is, It doesn't seem to happy where it landed. The light really don't get to it (2 96w Actinic 2 96w daylight and 1 250w DE MH) Will the BTA move with the clowns hosting it? Or will it just stay where it is because of the clowns?

Thanks!

http://i199.photobucket.com/albums/aa44/Iguana79/100_2499.jpg

tripinpn01
07/19/2007, 11:39 AM
i'm not positive if it would or not. but just wanted to say thats a nice set of clowns..

joker577
07/19/2007, 11:44 AM
Very beautiful clowns and BTA, the BTA will move itself if it wants more light or is not happy with its current spot

55semireef
07/19/2007, 12:43 PM
Those maroons are too big for that BTA. It's most likely going to get stressed out. It is a very nice BTA though.

Iguana79
07/19/2007, 01:04 PM
So do I need to move it to another part of the tank? I just looked and it shrunk big time. It might be because of the lights. Because it seemed like it did it around the time the lights turn on. Don't know if it is still getting use to the tank? The clowns have been in it since I put it in last night. The BTA Stayed open all night. I just read that if the BTA isn't use to the lights it will shrink up until it get use to them. So I guess I'll just keep a good eye on it?

Thanks For the replys!

tripinpn01
07/19/2007, 01:18 PM
i'm no expert but i think the best think you can do now is keep an eye on it. i just recently bought a RBTA fr a LFS and they had it under PC's while my tank has halides. yesterday i turned off the lights to add a yellow watchman goby and when i turned it on again later in the evening, it shrunk and receded into the rocks for the entire night. i just checked my tank and it has gone back to the spot from yesterday and all is good. do not move it yourself, just let it find its "favorite place"

Iguana79
07/19/2007, 01:36 PM
Yeah the LFS I got mine from had it under 2 96w Atinics/Daylights I have double that and I have A MH. So I'm thinking maybe it freaked it out. Just going to have to watch it close. Thanks Again

Percula109
07/20/2007, 11:00 AM
From what i see of the angle of the picture the maroons are huge for that little anemone and the fact that it just got to your tank which means it is most likely stressed out it will no be even more stressed out with the maroons bothering it. As to your question yeah it most likely will move if it is unhappy with the place it landed in, it might be unhappy not because of where it landed but because of the maroons.

Random Aquarist
07/20/2007, 12:31 PM
It's best to buy a BTA that is 3x the size of your clowns. If I were you, I'd put a strawberry basket over it to keep the clowns away. If it's possible, I'd also return the clowns and get smaller ones. But yeah, get a strawberry basket.

hogben
07/20/2007, 02:03 PM
One of my BTAs has not moved from a piece of live rock in close to two years and through a move to a new tank. I'm pretty certain it is "attached" in more ways then one to it's foothold on the rock.

I think lighting and flow have something to do with it but I think finding that safe spot on the rock is another big part of it. It will possibly move until all three of those conditions are met.

Iguana79
07/20/2007, 10:54 PM
Actually The BTA Is Alot Bigger Then That, I Have Had It Now For 2 Days. It has expanded big time. When it was at the LFS it had A huge tomato clown hosting it. So it was use to something playing in it. That picture was taken pretty much as soon as i put it in and it was still a little shrunk from picking it up after acclimating it. It is looking very healthy and has opened up like it was at the LFS. The female clown is also taking food to it and is eatting fine. I'm feeding it squid. Should I be giving it shrimp? Or is squid fine? Thanks again for all the respones!

Random Aquarist
07/21/2007, 09:10 PM
Any marine flesh is fine.

snusa
07/23/2007, 11:46 AM
It'll move to where it likes. It's more than likely that it it'll stay in a rock with holes.