PDA

View Full Version : Anemone heater burn?

MalawianDude
07/19/2007, 11:16 PM
After recently acquiring new gbta, i took all precautions i could think of with the powerheads, kinda keeping it away from my sps corals. after a day it took a walk, came home discovered it looked munched up and spit out, but looking closer seen parts of it looked "burned" it was back right where heater was. I immediatly removed heater put on other side of the tank, and been keeping up on WC's, this was two days ago.

It has since moved a bit into a hole kinda more like crevice, looks seem to have improved as its larger tentacles are "bubbling" and clown is back in it, it left it after the event was discovered.

Anyone experience something similiar to this?

joker577
07/19/2007, 11:19 PM
I know a guy had a frogspawn fall off a rock and land right by his heater, it friend and released chemicals killing everything in his tank...all you can do now is just let it recover.

MalawianDude
07/19/2007, 11:22 PM
Yea,
I had thought of tossing it but figure keep close eye on it, and seems to be doing better. But now am gone for four days out of town :o for wedding.

Am having my sis stop by to just check on things and video txt me vid of the anemone area..

Anemone
07/20/2007, 09:42 AM
Yeah, anemones are known to roam, and unfortunately, they don't move quickly enough to get off a heater if it turns on when they are in contact with it.

If you can't move the heater to a sump or other "out of tank" area, you might consider creating a PVC "sheath" for your heater. You'll need a piece of PVC pipe at least twice the diameter of your heater (and longer in length), then you need to drill holes in the PVC (multiple, larger diameter holes, like 1/2" or so) to allow water movement around the heater.

I have never seen this addressed, but personally, I'd try to keep the heater from contact with the PVC (by using the heater bracket or holder it came with).

FWIW,
Kevin

Reefvette
07/20/2007, 10:36 AM
a 12 inch RBTA become the victim of crappy suctions cups on a heater. Burned about the our ring and some the pedal.

2 weeks later it was fully recovered.

It look like it pulled that side of its body into itself as soon as i moved the heater away