PDA

View Full Version : calcum over 500

goro
07/20/2007, 06:35 AM
my cal is over 500 my kh is 10.2 i add nothing to tank, just did a 20% water change how can i lower my calcum thanks

mwwhite
07/20/2007, 06:54 AM
500 isn't that bad - you can stop supplementing and let it fall on it's own.

papagimp
07/20/2007, 06:59 AM
Stopping the supplementing works great if you are supplementing them mwwhite :D

goro, how old of a tank is this? I see high levels like that occasionally when I start new tanks, the first few months usually have some instablility and I've seen levels get as high as 600ppm before everything righted. Usually people will just allow there levels to fall naturally but without supplementing, I'd think there have to be pretty much no consumption going on. When you mix up new saltwater what are the CA and Alk levels there?

goro
07/20/2007, 07:14 AM
my thank is 3 years old, and i have not added any cal for a year. i use ro water and instant ocean salt

drummereef
07/20/2007, 10:26 AM
Very strange, goro. Instant Ocean runs quite low in Calcium for the most part. Roughly 380ppm. You might want to get a different test kit or have your LFS test it. I would find it very hard to believe that number is accurate if you've been using IO for a while and haven't been dosing any Ca suppliments. ;)

theatrus
07/20/2007, 10:40 AM
If you're not adding anything and using IO, I'd check the test kit :)

papagimp
07/20/2007, 10:44 AM
aGREED, I just switched to reef crystals from instant ocean due to the low calcium levels.

goro
07/20/2007, 11:10 AM
thanks i have used two different test kits and had two fish stores test and get the same results, could something in my tank be breaking down my live rock

papagimp
07/20/2007, 11:33 AM
what kind of livestock do you have in the tank, calcium and alk using invertabrates that is? Type of rock/sand?

der_wille_zur_macht
07/20/2007, 11:40 AM
Nothing in the tank could be dissolving Ca and alk into the water unless the pH was really low, which it certainly won't be with alk readings that high.

I'm guessing that you are testing the water in your tank? Mix up some new salt water using the same source water and salt mix you've been using all along, and test that. If that's way high too, test your source water, and/or have someone else use a bit of your salt mix with their water and test that.

It could be that you just have a really high calcium/alk batch of IO. The brand has been known for weird variations from time to time.

goro
07/20/2007, 12:29 PM
thank you for all your input