PDA

View Full Version : HELP!!!! DOA Coral...

JC_UF_ITK
07/20/2007, 11:44 AM
I ordered some coral (zoas) and it came in today (shipped Tuesday). The water smelled horrible and it looked like most/all are dead. Question is, do I put the pieces in my tank to see if they are alive? If so, how long do I keep them in to determine their destiny? I don't want to leave the dead coral in the tank and have them spike the ammonia level and kill my other fish/coral. What should I do????

By the way, the tank is in my office at work and I will not be here over the weekend to monitor.

der_wille_zur_macht
07/20/2007, 11:46 AM
Where did you get it from? Most online vendors have a very specific policy on what to do with DOA's. Contact your vendor for instructions.

That said, how many corals are we talking here? How big is the tank? What's currently in it?

JC_UF_ITK
07/20/2007, 11:50 AM
I bought it from a private seller and I don't think it was their fault so I'm not going to say who it is. It's ~70 polyps on three different pieces of rock The tank is a 29 gallong bio cube with the following:

1 small frag of zoas
1 small frag of ricordia
1 cleaner shrimp
1 YM goby
1 pistol shrimp
1 tail spot blenny
Cleaning crew

der_wille_zur_macht
07/20/2007, 11:53 AM
My approach would be to remove obviously dead material, then put it in the tank. Watch it until you have to leave and make a decision then. It may take the colonies days or weeks to recover, but after a few hours you should at least be able to tell if there's anything still alive or not.

JC_UF_ITK
07/20/2007, 11:58 AM
I figured they might be stressed and could take a while to open up, but I'm not really sure what to look for when see if they are dead. Some were "hanging" and I know they are dead, but the smaller ones still seem to be "firm" so to speak. Thanks for your help.

der_wille_zur_macht
07/20/2007, 12:00 PM
It should be pretty obvious. If they are still attached or "firm" at all, they're probably still quite alive, even if they are closed up. It is totally normal for polyp corals to close tightly during shipment.

meco65
07/20/2007, 12:00 PM
I would set up a QT tank and try to nurse them back to health, and not contaminate the display tank.

JC_UF_ITK
07/20/2007, 12:03 PM
Unfortunately I don't have a QT tank yet (I know, I'm a dumb newbie) and don't have time to set one up today. I'm leaving this job and heading right to my other one so I'll be gone all night.

JC_UF_ITK
07/20/2007, 01:59 PM
Well I'm leaving in a few and nothing has happened since I put them in the tank. I think I will leave them in for now and try to swing by tomorrow and check on the progress. I might try to set up a small QT tank in my office for the time being. Would stock lighting on a cheap tank be ok for now?

der_wille_zur_macht
07/20/2007, 02:11 PM
Poor lighting will just do them in quicker. IMHO, leave them in the display unless they are obviously dead, just keep monitoring it as often as possible.

JC_UF_ITK
07/23/2007, 06:09 AM
Well I left them in the display over the weekend and they were all dead this morning. More $$$ down the drain.