View Full Version : Cyano question

07/20/2007, 12:40 PM
Is this stuff like a regular algae that needs light to survive? The reason I am asking is I have just a little bit on a couple of rocks and I was going to take those rocks out and put them in my QT tank I have already set up and let them go for a bit with no light to try and get rid of it.

07/20/2007, 12:45 PM
That would probably work, but seems unnecessary. If your tank is set up properly and has low nutrient levels, the right amount of flow, etc - the cyano will just go away on it's own.

On the other hand, if you do have some issues, then killing that little patch won't really solve the root of the problem, and it'll come right back.

07/20/2007, 02:25 PM
I agree with der wille ... I would focus on the problem.

On the bright side .. cyano is easier to handle that most nusiance algaes .. you can use it as an inexpensive/fast growing phosphate/nutrient sponge and its pretty easy to siphon out of the tank.