PDA

View Full Version : sump for a 75g tank

cpl40475
07/20/2007, 07:53 PM
ive got a few 20g and a 30 (if son hasnt stole it) laying around would either of these be a suffecient sump for a 75 gallon tank.
I have a few sps and lps almost 90lbs live rock 3 percula clowns 2 3striped damsels and one blue/yellow tailed damsel a choc chip star fish 2 urchins 1 skunk shrimp 3 peppermint shrimp and 10 snails. a probably 2in sand bed. Right now im using a D&D typhoon skimmer (im not happy with at all) but im trying to get rid of everything hanging on the back of the tank. so is this an option or not?
thanks any help will be greatly appreciated im kind of new to the SW community
Tracy

SaltyDr
07/20/2007, 07:58 PM
Either could be used for sump/fuge. Or better yet BOTH can be used if tied together. One for sump and one for a fuge. Look at melevsreef.com for great info on sumps.

jer77
07/20/2007, 08:42 PM
If your still going to use the HOB skimmer in the sump then maybe you can fit in a refugium on the 20 or 30 gallon sump. I have a 75 gallon with a 20 gallon sump and I have an in sump skimmer so I don't have room for a refugium. But to answer your question, yes a 20 or 30 gallon sump would be a great addition. I'd maybe take SaltyDr's advice too and use both tanks and make a killer sump system. But if you can't the most you could probably have in a 20 gallon tall tank is two sections. One would be for the HOB skimmer and maybe a refugium, and the other for a return pump.

On a side note, I don't know if the chocolate chip starfish hasn't caused any problems for you yet, but they are considered not reef-safe.

Tony44
07/20/2007, 08:43 PM
Using both would be great, but fitting both of those under the stand would be the hard part. If you cant fit both, or dont want to go through the trouble of drilling both of the tanks, and installing bulkheads, just go with the 30. If you want to go bigger, I bought a 38 gallon for my 72, biggest tank that will fit in my stand, maybe go out and buy one of those?

cpl40475
07/21/2007, 10:58 AM
ok thanks alot ill try the 30 i dont think i have room for both the 20's but ill check.As for the choc chip so far he hasnt bothered anything and he has been in there a cpl of months. Any ideas on what should be put into the fuge/sump if i can do both.

knoxtnreef
07/21/2007, 12:24 PM
if you have an all glass stand take the bracer out of the top with a hammer, buy a 30g long aga tank to place under the stand, buy two acrylic baffels from lowes and have them cut each to size. The second baffel (between the return and skimmer) should be a bit shorter than the incoming section. This will give you a three chamber sump/fuge for under 50 bucks and it will have plenty of room for any power outage.

make sure to use 100% clear silicone