PDA

View Full Version : liverock in overflow compartment?

sploke
07/21/2007, 07:38 AM
I was cleaning my tank today and looking at the large-ish corner overflow bow, and noticed some pods walking around in there. It got me thinking - has anyone put liverock in there, kind of as a fuge-type area? Its a 55gal tank so the corner overflow takes up quite a bit of space, and I would love it if I could do something useful with it. If you used small pieces, I bet you could cram quite a bit back there. Any thoughts on why this would be a good or bad idea?

drummereef
07/21/2007, 09:12 AM
Some people have but I'd be personally worried about the flood potential. Keeping the overflow clear is peace of mind for me.

Roy G. Biv
07/21/2007, 10:15 AM
It is a good way to use wasted space, the only problem I see with it is that the overflow would run to your skimmer and would likely get skimmed out. If you had a T in the drain so that some of it bypasses the skimmer then that would work well

sploke
07/21/2007, 10:33 AM
My sump is set up as skimmer --> return <-- fuge

So the drain line does have a T, with probably 60% of the water going to the skimmer compartment, and 40% going through the fuge.

OmarD
07/21/2007, 10:53 AM
See:

"Back from the dead" (http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1164614)