PDA

View Full Version : Good Coral for top of tank?

joe25703
07/21/2007, 10:00 AM
Well I just got my new 62 gallon all set up and everything has been changed over from my old 29 gallon. I am really happy with the rockwork and all the coral looks great; however, I have a platform directly in the center of the tank where I need something. This is directly under the 150 watt MH so I was concerned about putting any of my corals there as I have ran power compact up until now. Does anyone have any ideas for some corals that will enjoy lots of light at the top of the tank?

Thanks.

supervdl
07/21/2007, 10:03 AM
lots of light means lots of choices.... :-) what's your flow? if you don't have a lot of flow try some lps like torch corals or anchor corals. softies like a yellow toadstool. Or a red brain to add some color.

joe25703
07/21/2007, 10:07 AM
Thanks, that helps. The flow is actually pretty good. I was thinking something like a torch or hammer or maybe even frogspawn but just wanted to make sure the flow would not be a problem. I read a post on here saying that green star polyps can stress a hammer out though and I have a very large colony that would be maybe 6 inches away, would that pose a problem.

Gary Majchrzak
07/21/2007, 10:11 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=10384897#post10384897 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by joe25703
Well I just got my new 62 gallon all set up and everything has been changed over from my old 29 gallon. I am really happy with the rockwork and all the coral looks great; however, I have a platform directly in the center of the tank where I need something. This is directly under the 150 watt MH so I was concerned about putting any of my corals there as I have ran power compact up until now. Does anyone have any ideas for some corals that will enjoy lots of light at the top of the tank?

I realize you're a newbie but the position you describe would be ideal for an Acropora, Pocillipora or some other "easy" SPS.

joe25703
07/21/2007, 10:16 AM
tell me more.....although I claim to be a newbie I guess I am not....about 3 years experience and lost my first fish ever a month ago....i am very patient........what would be some good sps corals for that spot...now I have an open brain, large colony of green star polyps, two favites corals that I love, few rocks with various mushrooms....interested to hear what you think?

supervdl
07/21/2007, 10:28 AM
It depends a lot on your flow if SPS work for you!! IF you have good flow I would try some easy SPS and start with a frag from a fellow reefer. I had good success with this as a start since they better acclimate than larger colonies and pieces. I would try some green stags, millies are colorful and fairly easy, green or red digitata...

kuoka
07/21/2007, 03:58 PM
I'd go with a montipora.

Gary Majchrzak
07/21/2007, 05:50 PM
whatever coral you choose make sure the sweepers from the brain corals can't reach it. (Sweepers extend at night.)

EdKruzel
07/21/2007, 06:10 PM
Being it is near the top and under a halide I would not go with an LPS, Euphyllia can handle more intense lighting but begin to get a washed out appearance and do best under a more moderate setting.

You claim to have patience and if so will be well rewarded in a very short time. Patience is one of the keys to this hobby. I recommend placing three frags together (no more than an inch or so apart) and allow them to grow into a very natural colony. I took a M. capricornis, M. digitata and P. cylindrica of no larger than one inch each and mounted them together. Within six months it made an incredible piece and then I placed it in a friends tank (over 600gal) and it has tripled in size. The picture was after placing it in the larger tank, but is nothing to what it is today. I'll have to take some updated photo's.

http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b62/edkruzel/p14.jpg

You can easily copy what I've done as they are very hardy specimens of SPS, or you can mix many other species for a similar grouping. Just try to get different growth pattern species. I was shooting for plating, branching and encrusting, but two are branching, luckily one branches faster than the other.