PDA

View Full Version : weird vapor

lillurker
07/21/2007, 02:21 PM
My roomate just bought an Anemone, and dropped in to his tank. I guess its looking for a place to sit, but the weird thing is its all scrunched up and if you look closely, there seems to be a fluid being secreted from it, its completely see through, so it looks like a vapor. He wants to know if this is good or bad. The LFS staff weren't knowledgeble enough to tell him. Hoping someone on here is. Thanks

BristlewormKing
07/21/2007, 06:18 PM
Sorry - never seen that one. Did your roommate stop by Taco Bell on the way back from the LFS?

:D

Coraldynamics
07/21/2007, 07:25 PM
Just a guess.... But since they "inflate" themselves with seawater, I would guess there is a salinity difference between the tank and what the Anemone had in it.

How long did your room mate acclimate the anemone?

lillurker
07/22/2007, 12:12 AM
HAH!!! Anemone with gas, that would perfectly compliment my roomate.

He floated the bag the anemone was in for about 15 minutes I think. Its okay now, I guess it opened back up and has started crawling a little.
I was thinking the same thing, that since it was trying to squeeze itself into a little ball pretty much, it might be just trying to reduce the amount of fluid so it could compress better.

Coraldynamics
07/22/2007, 04:31 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=10388935#post10388935 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by lillurker
HAH!!! He floated the bag the anemone was in for about 15 minutes I think.

You mean he just floated bag, then dumped the anemone in the tank?

Your mission today, should you choose to accept it, is to smack the heck out of your room mate and then teach him how to PROPERLY acclimate delicate sea creatures.

Keep an eye one the anemone. Cover ALL powerheads in the tank with sponge intake filters. If he is walking around he may find one and get diced up. Got pics? What kind of anemone is it? How long has the tank been set up?

lillurker
07/22/2007, 09:45 AM
Tanks been set up for about 10 mo's. I have no idea what kind of anemone. Got no pics either. Now he's gone for a week and I'm going to do my best to make sure it doesn't die. Looks like I got some reading to do. Anyhelp from you guys is great. Thanks

lillurker
07/24/2007, 03:26 PM
Well, I guess he is doing good. So good, he decided to start splitting. I think thats what he's doing. It looks like...well...a butt with tendrils.

BristlewormKing
07/24/2007, 04:05 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=10405483#post10405483 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by lillurker
It looks like...well...a butt with tendrils.

LMAO ..... as long as the water doesn't start getting cloudy or pieces of him floating around, then hopefully he is simply splitting. Just keep the water quality high and make certain there is plenty of light and shade available for whatever he needs and you should be OK.

kkyyllee
07/24/2007, 04:51 PM
its probably a stress related splitting not good, it thinks its gona die so it makes more for better survival chances

Flavorflave
07/25/2007, 08:54 AM
They deflate and secret waste at the same time.
Its taking a dump!

lillurker
07/29/2007, 01:10 PM
okay, he's dead. I found him the other morning, brown, limp and his innards on the outside. Very nasty...very....nasty.