PDA

View Full Version : snail question

jimbo78
07/21/2007, 08:29 PM
i found some snails today that i can seem to ID they are about 1" and have a shell that is pink and white and black in a kind of checkerboard pattern. does anyone know what they might be and are the reef safe?

RicksReefs
07/22/2007, 06:31 AM
could be 'bleeding tooth' nerite snails. did you find them near/at the tide line on a concrete wall/ rocks?

Lotus99
07/22/2007, 11:09 AM
They sound like they could be sundial snails. Pics of various snails, and info, here: http://melevsreef.com/id/snails.html

jimbo78
07/22/2007, 05:06 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=10389360#post10389360 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by RicksReefs
could be 'bleeding tooth' nerite snails. did you find them near/at the tide line on a concrete wall/ rocks? yeah they are always on the see wall at our place in the florida keys. do you know if they are reef safe? i was thinking about grabing a few when i go back down on tuesday

RicksReefs
07/22/2007, 07:54 PM
yup, great algae munchers and totally reef safe. the black and black and white ones are better, they don't crawl out of the tank as much as the bleeding tooth variety, but they all will on occasion. even if you find them outside the tank days later, toss them back in, they'll usually come back to life. wipe away any snail trails leading out of the tank, as they'll follow it back out again.