PDA

View Full Version : Bio Balls out, what should go in??

rescue
07/22/2007, 03:33 PM
in my 14g biocube i have heard from many people to get rid of the bio balls and replace it with a skimmer, now i am dilligent with my water changes what should i put in the middle chamber instead

the last chamber with the pump i pulled the sponge out and shoved a chemi-pure bag down in the slot and pushed the sponges halfway down to hold it in place.

i don't have a sump or refugium

Sk8r
07/22/2007, 03:42 PM
If your sump/filter has barriers against macro getting into the pump [not otherwise, no no!] you could use macroalgae like cheatomorpha if you could light it strongly. If not, then branch rock rubble is a good filler so long as fully submerged: it has ample bacteria.

Watch the sponges. Those should be cleaned every few days if you're going to keep them. I would view sponges with as much suspicion as bioballs, myself, and just try doing without them, one at a time: set a piece of live rock on the bag instead.

cmb88
07/22/2007, 07:07 PM
rescue..I am sure everyone has their own opinion so i am going to tell you what I Did.. I took out the balls like advised and left it empty!
Everyone told me to put Live rock rubble in there but it IMO would not be that beneficial since I have a ridicules amount of LR already in my tank. If I were not lazy I might some how get an LED light in back and put in a cheato, but you know what? It is fine.. My tank is great.
I did get some algea (red) awhile back and i used that chamber to put carbon in it. I think it is called "pure" (I can look it up if you want). Fixed the problem in 1 day then i took it out. Goood Luck!! I know where you are in this process lmao.. research and patience patience patience.. oh yeah get used to hearing "NO" a lot. lmao
good luck
Claire

http://i162.photobucket.com/albums/t267/shoat83/110.jpg