PDA

View Full Version : Moving tank and corals?

jer77
07/22/2007, 07:47 PM
Ok, here's my problem... I have to empty and move a 40 gallon frag tank or better yet throw it away cause its leaking. I also have to empty and move a 40 gallon sump to redo the baffles. The frag tank has lots of sps corals in it, a few clams, some softie frags too. The sump has some LR in it that has to be kept alive too. Now, I need a way to move all of this stuff and a place to put it all for a few months while I setup my new 180 gallon and let it cycle. The new rock is already curing and should be completely cured by the time I set the tank up and I have some old LR too and I'm using about 80 gallons of the water from my old setup. So it shouldn't take too long until I'm able to place the sps into the new tank I'm thinking, right? So basically I don't really know how or where to put the corals and live rock to keep them alive for the time being. My other tanks are full of stuff and one of them is also going to be thrown away soon, but this is another issue. I'm thinking of using some sort of rubbermaid containers, but they can be expensive. Can I just use some cheap, X-large, plastic containers? I don't really know what to do, any thoughts??

szwab
07/22/2007, 08:33 PM
i have heard of people temporarily using those plastic kiddie swimming pools. just make sure you clen it out real well.

or best option IMO would be a rubbermaid stock tank locally they run about 60 bucks.

or try a restaurant supply store and see if you can find a suitable container most are food grade and safe.

jer77
07/22/2007, 08:39 PM
What kinds of stuff should I worry about if its not food grade?

szwab
07/22/2007, 08:47 PM
some of the cheaper plastic containers are made from recycled material etc. which can leach things into the water especially in a salt water enviroment. I don't have specifics since i've never tried them. I don't think it's worth the risk.

you could also look ingo a simple "brute" trash can made by rubbermaid. If you can make it work for your situation they run about 25 bucks.