PDA

View Full Version : anemone dead?

nick.congelossi
07/22/2007, 08:19 PM
how can you tell if an anemone is dead or dying? i have this small white and purple bubble tip that was about 4" across and constantly waving around at the top of my tank when i first got him but now it has fallen behind some LR at the back of my tank, alothough it moves around somewhat the entire body has compressed down to about 2.5" across and some days i see it upside down in the sand at the bottom of the tank, i'm not sure if he's moving on his own or if the current is just moving his corpse. is this normal or is the anemone dying or stressed? if so is there any way to help it?

spleen93
07/22/2007, 08:36 PM
Dying but not dead yet, probably. When anemones die, you KNOW ... they start dissolving and they stink to high heaven. I'm sorry to say that if it's looking that bad, it's probably a goner. Anemones do require very good water parameters and stability - many people think that anemones shouldn't be added to a reef tank for at least a year after the tank has been up. Proper lighting and current is a must along with protection for the anemone from potentially being sucked into powerheads/intakes.

Spleen