PDA

View Full Version : Wrasses - least likely to jump

Lugnut
07/22/2007, 09:00 PM
Can anyone give me suggestions on which wrasses are least likely to jump from my open top tank?

I don't want a glass cover on the tank, due to condensation blocking light and limiting evaporation. And due to space constraints my lights are only a few inches from the surface, so when I tried a mesh screen it melted. Egg crate blocked a lot of light - since the halides are close to the surface, large shadows were cast to either side of the bulbs. So at this point it seems I have to go open top.

So, any suggestions? I had a six line successfully for many years, but am a bit afraid my next one might be far more aggressive (my previous one was a model citizen).

The Shan Man
07/22/2007, 09:15 PM
well not a solar fairy wrasse... I had one and it jump out of the smallest hole... God bless his soul... :mad2:

cediss
07/22/2007, 09:27 PM
My Harlequin jumped and unfortunately baked under my halides. It was my favorite fish. I never expected him to jump thru a relatively small gap between my acrylic cover and the opening and then not be able to flop his way back in.:(

Thurge
07/23/2007, 09:38 AM
Most every wrasse is a potential jumper.
I would suggest building a canopy to enclose the tank and house the lights. Add some fans on the sides of the canopy to aid in air flow.

jda
07/23/2007, 09:47 AM
I have not found leopards to be jumpers, but they can be more difficult than some wrasses.

RichConley
07/23/2007, 09:54 AM
Leopards, Halichoeres, Coris, basically any wrasse that is a sand sleeper wont be a jumper. Their natural reaction is to dive, unlike fairies who dart up.

Lugnut
07/23/2007, 10:01 AM
Great, that gives me some choices to check on - everyone's help is much appreciated!

jrobison
07/23/2007, 10:41 AM
My leopard has been in an open top for many months with no jumping. Good Luck!

floridareefs
07/23/2007, 10:47 AM
melanurus wrasse.. he dives in the sandbed and a super awesome wrasse with magnificance colors. Usually good priced too. leopard wrasse tend to hide alot, but are real nice as well.

d4a2n0k
07/23/2007, 08:27 PM
Also keep in mind the tank mates for your Wrasse. Boisterous fish like Angels, Tangs etc that chase fish from time to time means more chance of your Wrasse jumping. Stay away from fish that like to be the boss of the tank.

Pitcom
07/24/2007, 12:44 AM
I have a yellow (canary) wrasse in my open tank. He spends most of his time around the rockwork. If your looking for a wrasse that does well with a community this one is a good choice for that aspect as well.

SFeST
10/28/2009, 03:02 PM
I brought a carpenter wrasse home before remembering that my hood had copious amounts of space for him to jump out of, but for 2 years now he's been fine. I think I may just be just be running on luck however...

LobsterOfJustice
10/28/2009, 04:20 PM
Maybe a Thalassoma?

A sea K
10/28/2009, 06:05 PM
Leopards, Halichoeres, Coris, basically any wrasse that is a sand sleeper wont be a jumper. Their natural reaction is to dive, unlike fairies who dart up.

Good info here. You did not say what size or type system so research and choose accordingly.

jmaneyapanda
10/28/2009, 06:13 PM
Wrasses are jumpers. Plain and simple. There is no way around. I disagree with the sand sleeping wrasses not jumping. I have seen, heard, and experienced a fair number of deaths from them leaping.

myerst2
10/28/2009, 06:17 PM
X2 what Jeremy said. The only wrasee that isn't a jumper is a dead one and even then I'd worry. T

A sea K
10/28/2009, 06:18 PM
Wrasses are jumpers. Plain and simple. There is no way around. I disagree with the sand sleeping wrasses not jumping. I have seen, heard, and experienced a fair number of deaths from them leaping.

Maybe so but the question was which would be "least likely" and IMO these fit that category to a T.
After all is said and done, pretty much any and all fish will jump given the proper motivation.

jmaneyapanda
10/28/2009, 07:00 PM
Fair enough. But, to me, thats like asking who the tallest midget is. It isnt saying much. Joking aside, wrasses are jumpers, so even if you find the "least likely to", you still have a notable risk.