PDA

View Full Version : How long until they breed, clowns?

raw04f
07/23/2007, 12:15 PM
I have two fully adult true percula clownfish and they have been paired now for about a month. I was wondering about how long usually must they be paired inorder to breed. I have heard they must be paired for about a year before they show any signs of breeding.

rsman
07/23/2007, 01:06 PM
anywhere between seconds after you paired them up until one dies,

having 2 doesnt mean you have a breeding pair. I wouldnt break them up until your well into a year, but it can be a matter of weeks.

acroporas
07/23/2007, 01:18 PM
Assuming that they are actually a bonded pair, it could be tomorrow or it could be a year. Just feed them as much as they will eat, as often as you can and they will eventually lay eggs.

Though your description of "two fully adult true percula clownfish" and "paired now for about a month" seems to be a contradiction. And could pose problems.

It sounds like you have recently aquired two large clowns and have tossed them in together. If this is the case, there is a 99.9% chance you have two females and therefore, they will never breed.

There are 4 sure ways to make a pair.

1 Mature female + 1 juvenile
1 Mature male+ 1 juvenile
1 larger juvenile + 1 smaller juvenile

1 Mature female + 1 mature male

The first 3 can be obtained by combining one large clown with one small clown.

The 4th (which is what it sounds like you think you have) is nearly impossible in practice as a single mature male is somewhat of a contradiction. A mature male will turn into a female very quickly when not in the presence of a female. This can only be utilized when you know the sex of the fish and you know that they have not been separate for more than a few days.