PDA

View Full Version : Thoughts on Bio-spira for tank cycling

tewkes
07/23/2007, 01:24 PM
I set-up a 24 gallon aquapod last monday. I used about 20lbs of live sand and 20-25 lbs of nice cured live rock. I also added a little water from my more established tank.

I bought a small pouch of the bio-spira today to help speed up the cycling process. I wanted to know what everyone on here thinks of the product and if it actually work sor did I just waste $15. I'm not really impatient and I could have waited a month or so but I thought I'd give this a try and see if it works.

It says you can put fish in within 24 hours. I think I'm still going to wait at least 3-4 days before I add any type of fish (my first fish will most likely be a goby).

On a side note I'm getting a lot of algae on the sand. What's the best type of snail or crab that will take care of the substrate? Thanks

Bryan

VahanM
07/23/2007, 01:31 PM
I added Bio-Spira to my tank and added 2 Ocellaris clowns the next day. 2 weeks later I added a Regal Tang and a Yellow Tang. It's been a month now and they all look fine.

tewkes
07/23/2007, 01:41 PM
That's good to hear. I'd like to just add a goby or clown in the next week or so. Thanks

Grins
07/23/2007, 01:43 PM
You'll find mixed advice on the effectiveness of the product. I'd not put fish in until your tank cycles. Although some still recommend a fish cycle with damsels for instance many feel it is cruel and pointless when a fishless cycle will work.

tewkes
07/23/2007, 01:46 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=10397689#post10397689 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Grins
You'll find mixed advice on the effectiveness of the product. I'd not put fish in until your tank cycles. Although some still recommend a fish cycle with damsels for instance many feel it is cruel and pointless when a fishless cycle will work.

Isn't the point of this product to help the cycling process without using fish? I really didn't want to use fish to cycle this tank.

Realistically how long do you think it would take to cycle when I used LR from an established tank along with live sand and some water from my other tank? Thanks

tewkes
07/23/2007, 01:47 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=10397714#post10397714 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by tewkes
Isn't the point of this product to help the cycling process without using fish? I really didn't want to use fish to cycle this tank.

Realistically how long do you think it would take to cycle when I used LR from an established tank along with live sand and some water from my other tank? MY LFS said it should only really take 2 weeks. Thanks

Randall_James
07/23/2007, 01:48 PM
There is an adage about this hobby that nothing good happens fast...

The above poster (VahanM) added 2 tangs to a tank within 2 weeks of 2 other fish and all within a month of starting the tank...

Without regard to the silliness of adding 2 tangs to a 50G tank.... (It is likely one or both will die)

This is typically more bio-load than a tank can take on in such short order. Even if the fish survive, they may suffer burnt gills or other stresses.

Most reef tanks do far better with a more leisurely pace of additions. Biospira may or may not help the cycle process, (the bacteria are synthetic as the real McCoy will not live outside the environment for more than a day or 2).

You can add a pinch of regular fish food and propagate the beneficial bacteria needed to maintain your tank. It has also been shown that if you can hold off adding fish for 6 months or so, other organisms will be able to get established and survive after the fish are added. (Patience is also a big key to success)

Ask anyone that has aged a tank for 4-6 months before adding fish.. There is a TON of life in the tank before the fish go in.

I would not say you "wasted" your money but you could get to the same place for a lot less money

Grins
07/23/2007, 01:50 PM
Yes, but I've seen too many contradictory statments to guarantee it will work. It might speed up the cycle for you, it might not but it won't of course replace the cycle.

How long it will take is really going to be relative. If you're using a good amount of cured live rock the cycle may be very fast. I'm afraid in this hobby it is just going to be another lesson in patience, test the water and wait it out.

tewkes
07/23/2007, 01:52 PM
Good advice. I don't plan on loading the tank with fish right away. I mainly want some snails and crabs to clean up the algae, and maybe one fish.

I did add a pinch of food last week. I'll have to check the parameters this evening to see where I'm at.

My other question is in regards to adding coral. I really don't plan on adding any coral for awhile but I just wanted to know if it's possible to add too much coral at one time.

Gwynhidwy
07/23/2007, 02:24 PM
I've only used Bio-spira in freshwater tanks, but it did work very well for me there. The biggest problem that I'm aware of with Bio-spira is if it has not been properly shipped and stored it does go bad and then will not work AND pollute your tank with a bunch of dead and useless bacteria.

Since you used it keep in mind that if the bacteria was viable when introduced they will die without ammonia to eat/process. You need to add ammonia somehow for them to survive, either by adding fish, fish food or ammonia from a chemical supply.

tewkes
07/23/2007, 02:30 PM
I think I'll add another pinch of food tonight. Would it be safe to add some snails in at this point? Thanks

pmartin727
07/23/2007, 02:35 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=10397597#post10397597 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by VahanM
I added Bio-Spira to my tank and added 2 Ocellaris clowns the next day. 2 weeks later I added a Regal Tang and a Yellow Tang. It's been a month now and they all look fine.

Please consider this guy has only had 2 post. Chances are he is new to this hobbie.........

I am willing to bet money his tank crashes.... No offense.

But he has two clowns and 2 tangs in a 50 gallon tank that has been up two weeks! I believe you have to learn from your own mistakes so i will not bash him here. He will learn.

The point I am making here is the blind can not lead the blind. So becareful before you take advise to heart!

meco65
07/23/2007, 02:42 PM
I used it in my tank and it cycled in about three weeks, with only dry sand and base rock. I did add 5 or 6 fragments of live rock from LFS maybe 1/15 lb.

Randall_James
07/23/2007, 03:04 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=10397752#post10397752 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by tewkes
Good advice. I don't plan on loading the tank with fish right away. I mainly want some snails and crabs to clean up the algae, and maybe one fish.

I did add a pinch of food last week. I'll have to check the parameters this evening to see where I'm at.

My other question is in regards to adding coral. I really don't plan on adding any coral for awhile but I just wanted to know if it's possible to add too much coral at one time. Coral are very "low" load animals as a rule. I would only add 1 or 2 at a time all the same. Corals stress out like any other animal when moved to a new home. If it has issues or dies, it could affect other corals. Some are known to release toxins (aleopathy) and so no point in tempting fate with $50-100 items.

As far as cycle time goes, I have seen tanks that did not cycle at all (all in the live rock) and were ready for life within a week. BUT..... do not be fooled, there are still a series of algae outbreaks to weather through... less fish, less bio load, less trouble.. A touch of food will not hurt a thing.

pmartin727
07/23/2007, 03:09 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=10398253#post10398253 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Randall_James
Coral are very "low" load animals as a rule. I would only add 1 or 2 at a time all the same. Corals stress out like any other animal when moved to a new home. If it has issues or dies, it could affect other corals. Some are known to release toxins (aleopathy) and so no point in tempting fate with $50-100 items.

As far as cycle time goes, I have seen tanks that did not cycle at all (all in the live rock) and were ready for life within a week. BUT..... do not be fooled, there are still a series of algae outbreaks to weather through... less fish, less bio load, less trouble.. A touch of food will not hurt a thing.

There is some good advise IMO.......
Don't freak out but algea bloom is on the way we all went through it. It could get ugly just stay patient....... Taking your time is hard at first but once you understand the longer you take the better your tank will develope the better off you'll be

tewkes
07/23/2007, 04:10 PM
I'm having some major algae growth on the sand right now. I can visibly see the difference from yesterday to today. Is that normal? I didn't have this substrate in my 50gallon so I never got this much algae on the floor.

When could I add some snails? Should I let the algae do it's thing for a bit longer.

Also, trust me I take into consideration how many posts and experience someone has that's giving advise. I take to heart what you guys with a lot of experience tell me. I've only been doing this for about 6 months. It's easy to think you have it all down, but each day I learn something new. I made some mistakes already with my other tank and learned from them. Nothing catastrophic has happened yet considering I'm using less then desirable equipment ie. HOB filter, skimmer, PC lights.

pmartin727
07/23/2007, 04:23 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=10398660#post10398660 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by tewkes
I'm having some major algae growth on the sand right now. I can visibly see the difference from yesterday to today. Is that normal? I didn't have this substrate in my 50gallon so I never got this much algae on the floor.

When could I add some snails? Should I let the algae do it's thing for a bit longer.

Also, trust me I take into consideration how many posts and experience someone has that's giving advise. I take to heart what you guys with a lot of experience tell me. I've only been doing this for about 6 months. It's easy to think you have it all down, but each day I learn something new. I made some mistakes already with my other tank and learned from them. Nothing catastrophic has happened yet considering I'm using less then desirable equipment ie. HOB filter, skimmer, PC lights.

Yes this is normal... (Algea on sand bed)
I would say its okay to put in snails now......However please do not think that will take care of your algea problem .... It will not!!!
The only way to get rid of it in my experience is waiting!!!!

i went from bright green algea evreywhere (Glass sand ) to it becoming brown algea for a while then, from there it turned into a battle with red slim and two weeks later it was hair algea .....So all in all I battled algea for like three months........ My water is mirror clear now!

FYI :
I'm using less then desirable equipment :p Bak Pack skimmer and PC lighting!

ahullsb
07/23/2007, 05:09 PM
I think you are ready for snails as well. But your tank is still cycling probably. How long has it been set up now? What are your water parameters? I'm thought Bio Spira was supposed to cycle a tank in a few days....:) Just kidding. I would get a mixture of snails, some are good for algae, other detritus, etc. Just take a look at liveaquaria or some equivalent, or buy from your local fish store. I like Turbos, Ceriths, and Nassarius snails. You will get mixed opinions on crabs, but I have a few blue legged, and scarlet hermits that have been o.k so far. Good luck! Welcome to Reef Central!

tewkes
07/23/2007, 07:14 PM
Thanks everyone.

I just checked my water and eveything was right on. O nitrate, nitrite, ammonia, 8.2ph, SG is around 1.025. I'm sure this doesn't mean my tank is necessarily cycled though.

Right now the only algae is on the sand and it is brown. Sounds like this is normal. What should I look forward to next? SLime algae?

It's weird cause my 50gallon never had a problem with algae. I got some on the rocks but the margarita snails took care of it. There's always some on the glass but the snails take care of most of it.