PDA

View Full Version : What would you buy next if you were me?

easye123
07/23/2007, 02:18 PM
I currently have a 90g sps lps tank, that has been runnin for 9 months.
http://i163.photobucket.com/albums/t304/hpmavfan/IMG_3694.jpg

Everything is goin good, but it would be nice to have it more automated!! (for stabilty reasons)

First choice would be a Reefkeepr II or and ACjr.

Second would be a calcium reactor.

Thrid would be an auto-top off system.

Just lookin for some opinions. I cant make up my mind.

TIA

Evan

seaskraP
07/23/2007, 02:33 PM
ATO would be my first choice.

theatrus
07/23/2007, 02:57 PM
ATO would be a good first automation choice, and one of the cheapest.

GMAX
07/23/2007, 03:37 PM
Forget about all of those. ATO means stuck on and a flood. calc reactor probably gives you fit dialing in and a low PH due to the Co2. Reefkeeper is an expensive toy to turn on your chiller and heater etc.

No, instead get a litermeter lll and automate the addition of make up water by use of Kalkwasser. Improves the stability of your tanks PH, and takes care of most ( maybe all ) of your calcium and ALK additions. Spreads the additions out in small amounts over the day so no spikes in ALK or PH.

kau_cinta_ku
07/23/2007, 03:45 PM
i vote for ATO. i have had mine for 3 years and still runs flawlessly. very cheap also at aquahub

reef / aholic
07/23/2007, 06:26 PM
1. ATO
2. cal and kalk reactor
3. controller

backyardspecial
07/23/2007, 07:30 PM
Buy the calcium reactor and ACJr at the same time. Both items compliment each other nicely.

areze
07/23/2007, 07:39 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=10398461#post10398461 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by GMAX
Reefkeeper is an expensive toy to turn on your chiller and heater etc.

I donno, the temp controllers are over 100$ for dual limits, and they arent as advanced as a AQ3jr. plus it manages your lighting; and much more if you want it to. its more important to have if you plan to run a calcium reactor and such. kinda need it first or else you'll pull your hair out.

easye123
07/23/2007, 09:09 PM
Yea Im startin to think an ATO would be nice,but i have no problem pourin in a couple gallons a day. it would be nice though.. eventually. Im startin to think that getting an acjr would be a good choice, and then save up more for a calcium reactor. thanx for the advice yall.

Evan

BeanAnimal
07/24/2007, 06:53 AM
For temp control, I would choose a RANCO over an aquarium controller. It is purpose built and not prone to failure from other systems or programmer error.

To the OP and others:

IF YOU DO NOT HAVE A TEMP CONTROLLER... then this whole discussion is silly.. Why invest all of this money into something and let a $15 heater desrtroy it all because there is no temp controller?

If it were me... I would be ording one as soon as I got through reading this.

BeanAnimal
07/24/2007, 06:54 AM
Ohh and I don't mean a finnex, won bros or other hobby controller... they are pure junk. Get a RANCO or if you like the lighthouse, aquacontroller, etc.

GSMguy
07/24/2007, 07:40 AM
tunze osmolator and aquacontroller JR

and a vortech or tunze 6101, :)

humbugy
07/24/2007, 10:13 AM
ATO (i use a tunze osmolator)
cal and kalk reactor (reeftek kalk reactor is inexpensive, complements osmolator nicely)
controller - i use a dual stage ranco for two 250w heaters and a fan.

temp controller - what bean said.
the osmolator and a reeftek reactor can be had for 360 dollars or soo together, look at ebay, migth even be cheaper.
no more water adding every day, seems pretty automated. also would help with calcium.

Wryknow
07/24/2007, 10:47 AM
Tunze osmolator and a kalk reactor (I like the PM 660)

BeanAnimal
07/24/2007, 10:54 AM
Like I said...

To me the subject is not up for debate. You MUST have a temperature controller before you spend money on anything else.

I would be willing to bet that most of you well meaning folks are not using a temperature controller, yet you have spent hundreds or thousands on equipment and livestock. If that describes your setup...

BeanAnimal
07/24/2007, 10:56 AM
easye123

I jsut noticed somthing also... you will want to remove those zoanthids from your base rock. If you do not do it NOW, you will NOT be able to do it later. They WILL take over your entire baserock and choke out your SPS. Zoanthids are a nuisance and impossible to remove. If you like them, then keep them confined to a lump of rock on the sandbed.

jc9394
07/24/2007, 11:05 AM
ACjr, you will not regret it.

humbugy
07/24/2007, 07:57 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=10403493#post10403493 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by humbugy
ATO (i use a tunze osmolator)
cal and kalk reactor (reeftek kalk reactor is inexpensive, complements osmolator nicely)
controller - i use a dual stage ranco for two 250w heaters and a fan.

temp controller - what bean said.
the osmolator and a reeftek reactor can be had for 360 dollars or soo together, look at ebay, migth even be cheaper.
no more water adding every day, seems pretty automated. also would help with calcium.

kinda backwards from what i meant.
1. temp controller
2. ATO w/kalk reactor
3. a puurty coral

tgreene
07/25/2007, 07:32 AM
So many have suggested either the Reefkeeper of ACjr, but the Lighthouse is actually a less expensive and MORE ADVANCED aquatic controller which allows you full control and monitoring via the internet... If something is outta whack, you can log in and change it from anywhere that has an internet connection. -- I personally have 2 of them, and I maintain 2 others.

In regards to what to get first:

1) Controller (Lighthouse)
2) ATO (Reef-Relief AATOC from ReefTek)
3) Ca Reactor + Kalk Reactor to balance Alk & maintain pH. (ReefTek)

porthios
07/25/2007, 10:25 AM
'ATO means stuck on and a flood.'

remind me never to take plumbing advice from you..

GSMguy
07/25/2007, 10:26 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=10410792#post10410792 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by porthios
'ATO means stuck on and a flood.'

remind me never to take plumbing advice from you..

um ***

HBtank
07/25/2007, 10:44 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=10403767#post10403767 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by BeanAnimal
easye123

I jsut noticed somthing also... you will want to remove those zoanthids from your base rock. If you do not do it NOW, you will NOT be able to do it later. They WILL take over your entire baserock and choke out your SPS. Zoanthids are a nuisance and impossible to remove. If you like them, then keep them confined to a lump of rock on the sandbed.

This is not my experience at all so far, they have just grown around the base of any of my sps creating a nice backdrop and have not caused damage to anything. None have overgrown anything at all. I just made sure to place my other corals on the rocks before any zoas went onto that rock.

All it takes is a little timing and planning, but they are far from a "nuisance" and I find them much better looking than plain old corralline between all my colonies.

HBtank
07/25/2007, 10:49 AM
I would get a controller first to not only safegaurd your heating, but control some of your other things on the list.

For instance, get a controller with a PH monitor and you will save yourself getting a stand alone PH controller if you decide to get a Ca reactor.

Or you can provide another failsafe for any ATO with a simple program on a controller..

So many things a controller can do to your existing equipment as well, control every light, fan powerhead... etc...

Wryknow
07/25/2007, 11:00 AM
As far as ATOs causing disasters the Tunze is pretty failure resistant in my experience. In addition to the optical sensor for water level (which is very reliable,) plus a back-up float switch cut-off and alarm, plus the pump has a timer that controls how long the pump will run continuously before it times out. After about 5 minutes or so of continuous running (about a gallon of water) the pump shuts off automatically.

The controller would be a good choice too if you can use enough of the features to make it worth while. You may be better off with a Ph monitor and a temperature controller though.

GSMguy
07/25/2007, 11:01 AM
i dont see how my tunze ATO could cause any disaster it is very well designed

porthios
07/25/2007, 01:23 PM
all ato's are disaster proof if they're topping off from a small enough container..

water source -> rod/di -> switch -> tank is a problem
small container (i use a 5g bucket) of ro/di water -> switch -> tank isn't.

just use a small enough container so you _can't_ overflow your sump and your salinity won't drop too drastically..

or use a dosing pump as suggested earlier..

HBtank
07/25/2007, 01:58 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=10409800#post10409800 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by tgreene
So many have suggested either the Reefkeeper of ACjr, but the Lighthouse is actually a less expensive and MORE ADVANCED aquatic controller [/i])

I am sure that is debatable.

tgreene
07/25/2007, 03:02 PM
Everything always is... ;)

Fig
07/25/2007, 03:25 PM
Litermeter III for me. Best investment I've made in this hobby. And I've bought alot of crap in 20 years.