PDA

View Full Version : Can you have too many Fan/Tube worms in a SPS tank??

TIMMYE
07/23/2007, 03:51 PM
I posted this in the SPS fourm, but thought this would also be a good place for some good insight.

Like the title says, I have a SPS domionated tank with a two spots that have started too have a lot of tube worms. I would guess that I have one spot with 100+ and the other with 250+. The reason I posted this here is because of calcium uptake by them. I am not sure what caused these to spread like this? I am guessing they cae in on LR as hitch hiker. So what do you think? IS this a problem? Do I need to do something? TIA

MHannon
07/24/2007, 11:58 AM
the more nutrients and detritus in the tank, the more worms. If you get rid of their food, they will slowly disappear. I have a tank packed with soft coral and feed a ton of plankton. I had thousands of tube worms and feather dusters. I cut back on the plankton and now I have 1/2 as many worms. they are not harmfull at all. I like them.

BeanAnimal
07/24/2007, 03:28 PM
Enjoy them... they harm nothing.

TIMMYE
07/24/2007, 08:08 PM
I guess my other concern is how much calcium they use to build there tubes? Anyone know?

Lobster
07/26/2007, 12:34 PM
Tubeworms harm nothing, and won't impact your calcium. ;)

Make sure they are tubeworms, and not hydroids. Those are capable of stinging coral and can be problematic. Do a search, there is plenty of information available.

coralnut99
07/27/2007, 09:36 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=10405503#post10405503 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by BeanAnimal
Enjoy them... they harm nothing.

Couldn't agree more. I think they are one of the coolest things that can pop up in your tank. My basolute favorites are the ones embedded in encrusting monti and protrude a perfectly flat fan that gyrates from it's opening until it catches something and disappears with the food. The calcium uptake is minimal at best.

MCsaxmaster
07/28/2007, 05:07 AM
They'll suck up calcium and alkalinity, but much slower than most of the other organisms in the tank (a heck of a lot slower than those pesky scleractinians you've got all over the place ;) ). I'll agree with the rest: personally, I really like sabellid and serpulid worms. I think they're among the nicest creatures we can keep in a reef tank. Ha, I've actually bought 'pretty nice' corals because they had 'gorgeous' fan worms attached ;)

cj

chromafi
07/29/2007, 03:27 PM
The only problem with the worms is asthetics. They filter the water and dont take up very much calcium. Duster worms you buy or christmas tree worms are usually dead as soon as they leave the ocean (figuratively)