PDA

View Full Version : HELP HELP....who ate my hermit

new_world_disor
07/23/2007, 06:26 PM
well. i have been away for ten days. and have just got back tonight. to find bits of hermit all over the place. i had 2 red legged. and now i have 1. also in the tank is :

turbo snails ( unlikley culprits lol )
atlantis anenome
tiger striped serpant ( starfish )

which is likley to have a go at a hermit :S ?

ad

b0bby1
07/23/2007, 06:28 PM
u sure its not a molt?

new_world_disor
07/23/2007, 07:03 PM
nope. theres legs all over the place. and no shell at all as far as i can see.... or do they malt like that...

theres a coupla legs here... a coupla there... etc :S

dchan928
07/23/2007, 07:55 PM
maybe it molted and it just broke into pieces cuz you were away for a while. keep an eye out for the crab..it might still be around....

InLimbo87
07/23/2007, 07:59 PM
Maybe the other hermit went after it?

new_world_disor
07/24/2007, 01:48 AM
hmm will do :)

ad

Lehman
07/24/2007, 07:02 AM
Possible you have a mantis shrimp hitchhiker?

KellyPug
07/24/2007, 08:50 AM
If there's no shell, then maybe it molted. I think that after the hermit molted, it'd hide a lot in its shell somewhere since it's more vulnerable.

new_world_disor
07/25/2007, 04:26 AM
yeh it may have just molted. but who knows. nah theres deffo no mantis shrimp or anything similar in the tank.

finally got 2 blue damsels yesterday . and 4 more red hermits. and everything seems ok. so its not all bad. and my atlantis anenome is still happy :D:D

ad

Lehman
07/25/2007, 09:38 AM
This is funny because my 2 tanks just finshed cycling and I acclimated my cleanup crew yesterday. This is my first venture into saltwater and I want everything to run smoothly. Well this morning I wake up an see a full set of legs sitting atop a rock in my 5g. The 5 only has 2 scarlet reef hermits in it and am thinking great one killed the other or I messed up and my tank wasnt cycled. Well both hermits are out of their shell so I guess one of them just molted overnight. Also, I noticed I have some type of clam like thing on my 5g rock this morning too, I always noticed this wierd white rock on my live rock thats like a big circle that steps up into 4 different rised circles but this morning I noticed that it opened and closed and could see a fleshy part of it inside. Not sure what it is but it survived the cycle and lights off for 3 weeks.

new_world_disor
07/25/2007, 04:30 PM
haha gd work. yeh im new to saltyness as well. worried stuff will go wrong. buuut my 1st 2 fish are in . and they seem happy. and all the hermits are alive. ive takes out the atlantis anenome. and the starfish. so there safe. haha

ad